Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 10th Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

ECM 12Z 144h from yesterday

Posted Image

GFS 12Z 144h today..... Quite similar don't you think.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I can't stress enough to the coldies and especially the newbies in here how important is that you get a clean break with energy coming off the PV chunk to the nw, the phasing acts to pull the low heights to the nw east rather than se.

Theres a very easy way out of all this drama a westwards correction and more amplification upstream, but will the models deliver this?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

At +t168 there's a lot of damned pressure from the Atlantic being aided and abetted by the cursed azores HP.

Posted Image

Ditto at +t216

Posted Image

Edited by Purga
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2014011412/ECM1-168.GIF?14-0

Well, we won't get an Easterly from that!

Typical that when the GFS finally looks like it may be interested in some cold weather, the ECM jumps ship to a flat Atlantic pattern!

Still much to be resolved I feel.

Edited by Chalk Serpent

Posted

At +t168 there's a lot of damned pressure from the Atlantic being aided and abetted by the cursed azores HP.

Posted Image

Yep, the Azores High living up to its reputation as the 'winter killer' - no quick route to cold from that chart I'm afraid.

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Typical of this winter JMA delivers a decent upstream pattern but has rather dramatically sunk high pressure SE from the mid term.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

The ECM starts to disrupt that troughing at 216hrs and pressure rising towards Svalbard, another twist in the saga.

This is like that series Lost, can we just get to the end and deliver the cold, we don't want any more sub-plots!

Tonight's run seems to suggest what NOAA talked about last night.

THIS SUGGESTS ASUBSTANTIAL SUBSEASONAL CLIMATE EVENT IS FORECAST TO UNFOLD ACROSS THE CONUS

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

What I would give for a solid trend instead of the models shooting wildly even at 4-5 days out.

Just when the GFS/UKMO give hope, the ECM goes westerly, but then cuts the jetstreak out at the end and we have another disruption low event.

That huge cold plunge into the states would of course be a decent reason for the at times completely random output downstream.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

What I can see from gfs and ecm is positives for cold weather fans tonight! IF you can see the Atlantic in charge from the outputs tonight than Im looking at the wrong outputPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Encouraging signsPosted Image

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frosty & Sunny

THIS SUGGESTS A

SUBSTANTIAL SUBSEASONAL CLIMATE EVENT IS FORECAST TO UNFOLD ACROSS THE CONUS

Posted ImageECH0-240.gif

Translate please.... its okay answered my own question. 

CONUS = Contiguous United States Edited by ghrud

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

THIS SUGGESTS A

SUBSTANTIAL SUBSEASONAL CLIMATE EVENT IS FORECAST TO UNFOLD ACROSS THE CONUS

Posted ImageECH0-240.gif

My inlaws are in PA, about an hour from Philly/NY. The recent blast was just about tolerable but that looks epic.

Regarding the ECM FI, that is an ultra block with the Scandi/Russian high. Decent cold into Europe too. This is a pretty bizarre winter, winter = cold/snow correct? There is also the flip of the coin where we could have a record winter but for the non cold.

I believe that regardless of when or how soon we will get a normal winter but whether we need help from the warming is yet to be seen. We wanted a pattern change from zonal, we have that. We need another pattern change, moving the block or another nearer to the UK but we have to keep the Azores quiet also so that would probably mean getting as much cold into Iberia as we can.

Anyway, the last ECM FI chart.

Posted Image

Posted

I don't know about anyone else but I'm exhausted! its been a very long week and at times has felt like we're going round in circles in this attempt to find a little cold and some snow.

At least this evening the UKMO is on board with a chance of colder conditions, because its better than the ECM at that timeframe you'd likely find the approaching low would move in at a more favourable angle to deliver snow on the eastern flank.

And may disrupt favourably leaving the UK in colder conditions, as with so many colder possibilities for the UK we're very much effected by what happens in the USA in terms of the pattern over the eastern seaboard.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Genuine question relating to the models. If the meto are seeing 10/15% poss of an easterly then that would suggest that the ECM GFS and UKMO have about 1 in 8 chance of producing a run that shows that outcome. If we then take the morning output from last Wednesday when there was cross model agreement, is this more coincidence when modeled at t144 plus?

If we then see further runs showing consistency then this would suggest the % chance of it happening have increased or I am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Posted

I'm not normally one to get jealous at another's fortune whilst we continually dip out but seriously, USA, don't you think you've had your fair share this winter already!?!?post-5114-0-28207600-1389727122_thumb.gi

That is some East Pacific ridge forming there!Posted Image Got to help in the long run for us I would imagine.

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted

Genuine question relating to the models. If the meto are seeing 10/15% poss of an easterly then that would suggest that the ECM GFS and UKMO have about 1 in 8 chance of producing a run that shows that outcome. If we then take the morning output from last Wednesday when there was cross model agreement, is this more coincidence when modeled at t144 plus?If we then see further runs showing consistency then this would suggest the % chance of it happening have increased or I am I wrong?Thanks in advance.

I see it as a developing situation, these model run's keep trying and trying to get through this NE block and they can't , hence they keep changing over and over again ... At the moment the stand off is around the UK area , but it looks like this boundary will move further West as we head towards the start of Feb. As another poster just said that is a massive Pacific ridge developing there, Sticking out like a sore thumb .Good times ahead IMO .

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

The UKMO is the one to watch, Earlier today i did a comparison on how the top three models have done since last thursday http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79043-model-output-discussion-10th-jan-onwards/page-54#entry2895625

So with the UKMO showing potential at 144h with -4 850hpa it wouldn't take much to get snow even down to lower levels..... For me this is the model to watchPosted Image

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Genuine question relating to the models. If the meto are seeing 10/15% poss of an easterly then that would suggest that the ECM GFS and UKMO have about 1 in 8 chance of producing a run that shows that outcome. If we then take the morning output from last Wednesday when there was cross model agreement, is this more coincidence when modeled at t144 plus?If we then see further runs showing consistency then this would suggest the % chance of it happening have increased or I am I wrong?Thanks in advance.

Indeed. And I think you have to take into account the fact that Ian has just talked about how progressive NCEP is known to be compared to other models, yet... we have just witnessed an Easterly output from the most progressive of them all, the 12z, Aka 'The Bulldozer'.

I get the feeling 10 - 15% is pretty conservative, I wouldn't be surprised to see it raised to 30% in the next 24 hrs.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Easterly looks about 5% with the only route being a Northerly/NW option. Problem is the jet stream wants to fire up in about 10 days time and move from a really southern track to one that blasts over the UK again. 

Indeed. And I think you have to take into account the fact that Ian has just talked about how progressive NCEP is known to be compared to other models, yet... we have just witnessed an Easterly output from the most progressive of them all, the 12z, Aka 'The Bulldozer'.

I get the feeling 10 - 15% is pretty conservative, I wouldn't be surprised to see it raised to 30% in the next 24 hrs.

Hope you are correct and my 5% is completely incorrect!

• Like 1

Posted

It depends what products they're using, the ensembles are generally often split with an easterly and don't normally jump fully across until much nearer the time, its not like a northerly toppler which is much easier to model.

Also when the UKMO mention easterly we're not getting the full story because for them an easterly might be the deep cold variety, some of those solutions may show a more se with an undercut but they won't class that as perhaps a proper easterly.

At the moment and given tonights outputs I'd put a deep cold easterly at still only around 20%, a snow event with a se undercut at 60%, an undercut with cold extending 50%.

If the trough disrupts favourably to the west and the UK continues to sit at the cold/milder boundary that does have a chance of giving some snow events.

IMO a proper easterly that people want to see is that one with deep cold uppers that can deliver snow showers, in terms of a slacker easterly flow I'd put the percentage higher but I think what the UKMO might be using is the deeper cold variety, maybe Ian F will clarify this later.

• Like 5