Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

i wonder if we rename the thread to 'The Rain Depth Cup from a Westerly Direction' that's got to workPosted Image

You know what, joking aside, you might be on to something.  If we re-name the cup competition to 'The Rain Depth Cup from a Westerly Direction' you can guarentee our weather will do the opposite and come from the East...  reverse psychology and all that!

Edit - or it could well be a case of 'clutching at straws'!

Edited by snow raven
  • Like 6

Posted

You know what, joking aside, you might be on to something.  If we re-name the cup competition to 'The Rain Depth Cup from a Westerly Direction' you can guarentee our weather will do the opposite and come from the East...  reverse psychology and all that!

Edit - or it could well be a case of 'clutching at straws'!

straw clutching me thinks :D

• Like 2

Posted

straw clutching me thinks Posted Image

or getting desperate to see some snow (or even have a real stab at potential, the excitement of radar watching, and of course lamp post watching!)

• Like 2

Posted
No excuse to be late! Calculate the length of your London commute in bad weather with this new formula
  • Study used number plate recognition to work out average travel times
  • These times were compared during rain, snow and changes in temperature
  • Heavy snow caused the most delays - adding up to 11.4% onto a journey
  • They discovered even light rain can influence travel times by 2.1%
  • Temperatures were found to have no negligible effect on commuting 
Storms that hit the UK over Christmas brought the transport system to a standstill, and every day in London even the slightest hint of rain can cause traffic chaos. In a bid to understand exactly what impact weather has on commuting times in the capital, a team of civil engineers have created a formula to calculate delays.  Unsurprisingly, heavy snow causes the most delays, yet the researchers discovered journey times can be up to 11.4% longer during this extreme weather. While even a splattering of light rain can add 2.1% of time to a trip. 

The research was carried out by the Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering at University College London.  Engineers studied traffic levels during three, two-hour periods on weekdays in the morning, afternoon and at evening peak times.  They used Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) data taken from more than 380 travel links in central and outer London to look at journey times.  They then compared how these travel times changed during light, moderate and heavy rainfall and snowfall, and analysed whether different temperatures caused changes in commuting time.

Firstly, temperatures were found to have no negligible effects on journey times.  Heavy snow caused the highest percentage delays making journeys longer by between 7.4% and 11.4%.  Light snow was not far behind, adding between 5.5% and 7.6% of time to the average commute. Heavy rain made journeys 6% longer, moderate rain delayed people by 3.8% and light rain caused commuting time to increase by 2.1%. 

‘Weather conditions may significantly impact a series of everyday human decisions and activities,’ explained the researchers.  â€˜As a result, engineers seek to integrate weather-related data into traffic operations in order to improve the current state of practice.  â€˜Travel times and speeds are two of the elements of a transportation system that may be greatly affected by the weather resulting in deterioration of roadway network performance.’ The researchers also found that people who live further out of London, and therefore have longer journeys overall, are actually affected less by changes in the weather and suffer fewer delays.  

The research only analysed how weather affects roads and driving commuters and the researchers claims that more analysis needs to be done to look at how weather affects public transport and trains, for example. Further studies would also need to be carried out to see whether the delays seen in London apply to less dense regions of the country.  â€˜This research provides planners with additional information that can be used in traffic management to modify planning decisions and improve the transportation system control on a network scale under different weather conditions,’ concluded the researchers.

HOW WEATHER AFFECTS TRAVEL

WEATHER JOURNEY INCREASE
Light snow 5.5% to 7.6%
Heavy snow 7.4% to 11.4%
Light rain 0.1% to 2.1%
Moderate rain 1.5% to 3.8%
Heavy rain 4.0% to 6.0%

Posted

So many people have said they've had thunder and lightning over the last couple weeks, but it so rarely appears on the netweather radar (I'm using the new V6 one) - why is that?

Posted

or getting desperate to see some snow (or even have a real stab at potential, the excitement of radar watching, and of course lamp post watching!)

i laid my lamp post off a few weeks back. gave it a redundancy package. new bulb and shiny new clear glass bulb cover :lol:

• Like 1

Posted

Ahem Mr.Shotski, I do believe I may have a reasonable case to start legal proceedings against you for libel, after such an outrageous accusation. I happen to have in my employ the top lawyer in the S.E., alright then the S.E. of Reigate.Where are you when I need you Abruzzi? If you win this case for me, you will be rewarded with a few more bottles of Nasty Spumante.Apart from any libel damages awarded to me Mr. Shotski you will also be levied with a Snow Cup penalty.Your fellow entrants may also have zilch but you sir will be starting on -5 cms. I hope this will be warning to any entrants who wish to vent their spleen against the Snow Cup. It will result in the unleashing of the Pit-Bull that is Mr. Abruzzi Spur! (wink)Yours truly disgusted,Tom

Libel law, even more expensive than copyright I'm afraid.  Has to be funds up front this time, or 'money on account' as we legal chaps like to call it.  Sorry it's come to that but I'm practically on the breadline due to some of my clients (nameless, not falling into the libel trap myself, been around too long for that) not stumping up for work done in good faith!

Pit-bull, eh?  Nicest thing anyone's said about me for years.  Carry on like that and you might just get a freebie.

AS

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Thank you so much to all of the lovely posters and likers who have responded to my rant/appreciation over what life holds and what education can or cannot do - Fluid dynamic, Planet thanet, BJ, Coast and Madmunch, your thoughts are much appreciated, and Madmunch I have copy and pasted your Einstein quote and can reassure you that in my experience, university lecturers much prefer mature students and mature students will always do well and deliver (no pressure!). Lloydyd, sorry to hear about your woes; I prefer to see such times as blips and patches rather than a downhill slide, and try to imagine the time I will be looking back on this period and what I did/they did and how I will feel. Not easy when you're deep in it of course.Still grey, still mild, and as for the MAD, I'm going in, wish me luck, I could be gone a while, and I'm protected only by my mild weather clothes, hoping that I can change to the winter clobber some time soon:)

Hi ReefMy son (now 18) has Aspergers and dyspraxia as well as being partially sighted. He had a horrible time at primary/secondary and like your son struggled with the curricula and social situations. He worked incredibly hard to get the minimum to go to college, but in my opinion his school let him down and spent more time encouraging their more academic students. I had more than one row with teachers over the years complaining about his work not being upto par and his social difficulties . I would always respond, life skills are more important and fostering his vocational activities, which is Music production. Who gives a Toss if he can't do math or sport...These the same teachers who would put him in a cricket / rounders team and expect him to be able to see the ball...which made his team mates hate on him something rotten.He is now at college doing what he loves (music) all his other subjects have improved too and you are around peers who want to be there and have a common interest. It is the first time I have seen the young man he could be and finally a social circle of friends. I know it's like putting your heart on a plate every time you see them suffering, but it will get easier. Sorry the post is so long all, I just felt I needed to reply. Dull and dreary central in Brighton, currently 7.5mm of rain. Edited by Alixzandra
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Well the heavens opened here in dramatic style, just as I left reception to get to my car this afternoon to return home for the day, drenched before I even made it half way.  Very mild though for the time of year, have totally no reason what so ever to leave the house till the morning so it can do what it likes now (most likely stay sunny and dry I expect).

Posted

Hi ReefMy son (now 18) has Aspergers and dyspraxia as well as being partially sighted. He had a horrible time at primary/secondary and like your son struggled with the curricula and social situations. He worked incredibly hard to get the minimum to go to college, but in my opinion his school let him down and spent more time encouraging their more academic students.I had more than one row with teachers over the years complaining about his work not being upto par and his social difficulties . I would always respond, life skills are more important and fostering his vocational activities, which is Music production. Who gives a Toss if he can't do math or sport...These the same teachers who would put him in a cricket / rounders team and expect him to be able to see the ball...which made his team mates hate on him something rotten.He is now at college doing what he loves (music) all his other subjects have improved too and you are around peers who want to be there and have a common interest. It is the first time I have seen the young man he could be and finally a social circle of friends. I know it's like putting your heart on a plate every time you see them suffering, but it will get easier.Sorry the post is so long all, I just felt I needed to reply. Dull and dreary central in Brighton, currently 7.5mm of rain.

Thank you so much for that lovely post and I deeply sympathise with the school situation for your son, even at a special school the education is struggling to meet my son's needs. He has dyspraxia too and it is scarily effective at preventing him from acquiring just about every single life skill including doing up buttons and using a knife and fork, let alone have any short-term memory or ability to remember instructions after one second or organise himself. It is such a lovely read, seeing how far your son has come, and I too hope mine can do the same following his passions, as you say, the rest will probably follow, and if not, he can live without them.

Back in Surbiton now - my son did indeed fake illness himself out of school - and it's... surprise surprise... grey, wet-ish, mushy, mild... who would have thought....

• Like 2

Posted

Libel law, even more expensive than copyright I'm afraid.  Has to be funds up front this time, or 'money on account' as we legal chaps like to call it.  Sorry it's come to that but I'm practically on the breadline due to some of my clients (nameless, not falling into the libel trap myself, been around too long for that) not stumping up for work done in good faith!

Pit-bull, eh?  Nicest thing anyone's said about me for years.  Carry on like that and you might just get a freebie.

AS

Wow AS, is this really you?

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I love this place and all the people in it. Not only for the weather knowledge but for the support given to members in all areas of life.

I also have an autistic daughter, she struggles at school, she is not academic in any way but she has a great imagination and knows how to spin a yarn.  She also has talents in music which she has been unable to follow through as she has a fear of performing and talents in IT, she can already build websites and has learnt programming skills but has no desire to learn at school.

The stories here of those who have survived school and gone onto achieve regardless are an inspiration, so thank you.

• Like 9

Posted

Well while we are on the personal subjects, I thought I would share some of my current problems. For no other reason than to get some off my chest really as it sometimes helps.

So coming back from holiday and after taking 3 weeks off from my contract (mandatory so dont get paid for that time either), On the way back from the airport and the suspension goes on my car....New car needed.

My landlord who is a difficult A**hole at the best of times has now served us notice so need to find somewhere else to live (having just got 2 of my kids into the school over the road).

And my current contract is up in March, plus I owe the tax man lots and lots of money that I dont have to give him.....

Now where is that rock so I can crawl under it?

Weather is....well pretty rubbish and boring to boot. Roll on 2015!!

Well, I don't know how to help, but as you say, sometimes its good to just get it all out there.

We are a friendly helpful bunch here.

• Like 2

Posted

Thank you so much to all of the lovely posters and likers who have responded to my rant/appreciation over what life holds and what education can or cannot do -

If it helps, I was expelled from my French class at school, not understanding a word, and being told very sternly by the teacher that I would never learn it and so what was the point in trying to teach me?

Fastforward thirty years to now, self-taught and with a degree in guess what subject?Went to university as a mature student.

Teachers aren't always right!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Big warehouse fire in Newport Pagnell....

post-10773-0-32144500-1389803279_thumb.j

.....and there was me thinking the smoke plume I could see from here was a thunder cloud !

post-10773-0-38020900-1389803607_thumb.j

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 6

Posted

I love this place and all the people in it. Not only for the weather knowledge but for the support given to members in all areas of life.

I also have an autistic daughter, she struggles at school, she is not academic in any way but she has a great imagination and knows how to spin a yarn.  She also has talents in music which she has been unable to follow through as she has a fear of performing and talents in IT, she can already build websites and has learnt programming skills but has no desire to learn at school.

The stories here of those who have survived school and gone onto achieve regardless are an inspiration, so thank you.

Wow, my son would be so impressed, he is desperate to learn programming but lacks the abilities right now - I keep telling him his enthusiasm will get him there in the end to be the game designer he aspires to:) Well done your daughter.

• Like 5

Posted

Luckily for you Reef the link isn't working!

AS

Hmmm should I post some links to what you appear to have been doing on YouTube.... probably not.....!

• Like 1

Posted

Hmmm should I post some links to what you appear to have been doing on YouTube.... probably not.....!

I've 'liked' your post but I am not sure I should have as it makes me a little nervous!!!

• Like 1

Posted

If it helps, I was expelled from my French class at school, not understanding a word, and being told very sternly by the teacher that I would never learn it and so what was the point in trying to teach me?

Fastforward thirty years to now, self-taught and with a degree in guess what subject?Went to university as a mature student.

Teachers aren't always right!

I just want to add in case there are younger readers thinking, oh that's a bit brutal, school can't do that, the reason I couldn't learn was not that I was naughty, I tried ever so hard in class, but we grew up in a school system where it was not uncommon to see a classmate slippered, eg hit on the bottom with a slipper, or worse, caned, hit on the bottom with a hard stick, for what might be considered now, minor infingements of the rules.

I was myself hit on the back of the hand with a ruler, i know it sounds funny but it stings, and shocks you, also pulled by the ear to the front of the class and humiliated for not declining a verb correctly, also had the board rubber thrown at me for giving a wring answer.

The only result this had, was to make me so nervous i could no longer think straight.

I am glad that these practises have stopped, I think it is also now forbidden for teachers to shout at pupils, which they often used to do, bending right over the desk and getting in your face.

Sounds like something out of Dickens, but many many schoolchildren of my era suffered in these ways.

• Like 4

Posted

back to the weather, I've said before that my wooden back door gets very swollen when it rains, well to give an idea of how much rain we have had, Southernman has just told me he can't open the door at all to put the rubbish out, it is completely swollen wedged into the frame, and he is now attempting to jemmy it open with a crowbar!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

Big warehouse fire in Newport Pagnell....

Posted Image1560644_743328785696602_632940522_n.jpg

.....and there was me thinking the smoke plume I could see from here was a thunder cloud !

Posted Image1501679_805310266153020_424159345_n.jpg

I could see this on the horizon as I came from Hemel Hempstead to Bletchley on the back roads.

• Like 1

I could see this on the horizon as I came from Hemel Hempstead to Bletchley on the back roads.

The other half had loads of fun trying to get back to Bedford this afternoon.

i have a feeling that someone in MK (mention no names) has come up with a plan to cover the sky with loads of black smoke in order to cool the earth and start winter that wayPosted Image , on a serious note I worry about what might be in that smoke cloud considering the factory.

• Like 1