Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2014 Discussion

Posted

Amazing to think that this time last year we were still getting single figure maxes and the countryside was firmly stuck in winter. Now its full Spring mode. Some trees coming into leaf and the tulips coming out. What a difference a year makes.

This spring so far is overrated. There's been far too much bland drizzly autumnal muck for my liking. It's a lot warmer than last year but it's hardly 2011 either. A few sunny days is the least we should expect.

The bland plays on as it has done since autumn...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This spring so far is overrated. There's been far too much bland drizzly autumnal muck for my liking. It's a lot warmer than last year but it's hardly 2011 either. A few sunny days is the least we should expect.

Got to agree with you there. I am waiting for some proper warm and most importantly sunny days now that the sun is gaining strength. Last week was disappointing here, but at least the countryside resembles the time of year rather than the baron wasteland of last year.

Posted

March 2014 was actually warmer and sunnier than average almost everywhere with average or below average rainfall in the majority of places. I think people's views on what a normal spring is like have been heavily influenced by a string of warm, dry, sunny months in recent years. This is especially so with regards to sunshine levels as every March except 2005, 2006 and 2012 and every April except 2005, 2008 and 2012 have been sunnier than average generally everywhere in the last decade.

Posted

Completely agree. Not a good Spring at all. If it hadn't been for the mid-March fine spell it would have been worse than last year.

This present spell of weather is excruciatingly bad with just one of the past 11 days managing 2 hours of sunshine and the weekends have been dreadful. Even today with a max of 14.5C it is overcast, windy and drizzly. Not a nice day at all.

I would say it feels like a never ending November but November was easily the best month of the past 6. Very sunny and the weather of Saturday 16th November - max of 14.1C with light winds and lots of sunshine has yet to be equalled this year.

Edited by Richard2901

Posted

March must have been close to average for rain here. Just like last July a potentially dry month was spoilt by too much rain in the last 10 days, without the thunder most other places seemed to get. Considering the March average is only about 35-40mm it may even have been wetter. Also for sun: it had the synoptics to be a very sunny, warm month but there was a lot of inexplicable fog, drizzle and low cloud with seldom more than 2 sunny days in a row. (Even a 1035mb high right over the central UK couldn't give sunshine)

April, apart from the 1st which was a mostly fine day, has been one big cloudfest so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

March was certainly a dry, sunny and warm month here- there were some cloudy days but they were outnumbered by the sunny ones, and this was reflected by a high diurnal range (mean max 11.4, mean min 3.5).  But it certainly feels like April has been somewhat cloudier so far.

Posted

March 2014 was actually warmer and sunnier than average almost everywhere with average or below average rainfall in the majority of places. I think people's views on what a normal spring is like have been heavily influenced by a string of warm, dry, sunny months in recent years. This is especially so with regards to sunshine levels as every March except 2005, 2006 and 2012 and every April except 2005, 2008 and 2012 have been sunnier than average generally everywhere in the last decade.

Don't get me wrong, it hasn't been terrible. But it has been humdrum, while the general impression seems to be that we're in the midst of a beautiful halcyon spring because it's an improvement on winter (not very difficult!) or because it reached 20C a couple of times in London. Besides, for me warmer doesn't mean better in March.

Another grotty day today to add to the 2014 repertoire of bland. Posted Image

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

March was warmer and sunnier than average here with plenty of mild-warm days. Rainfall below average - albeit not by much. April so far has been crap.

Last April was cold, but at least it was sunny and dry.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Cold.

Posted Image

Then 48 hours later its becoming warmer

Posted ImagePosted Image

Even warmer on Easter Monday

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Then 48 hours later its becoming warmer

Posted ImagePosted Image

Even warmer on Easter Monday

Posted Image

Posted Image

True but any cold is always likely to be short lived at this time of year, very unlikely to get a long cold snap, you would need a succession of direct hits although the unreliable timeframe on the GFS has hinted at it, with a proper ridge smashing straight through Greenland over to the other side of the hemisphere.

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

I have a 52% snow risk on Thursday as well as a 57% thunderstorm risk. If it plays out, it could get interesting to say the least. But as Summer Sun said, it won't last as Good Friday gets a lot warmer.

No it wont last, the 12z is better than the 6z though and more like the 0z with ridging further North, just a smidgeon of -6 uppers to the west of you.!

.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Developing wave blizzard alert.

Posted Image

Unless of course the ECM is right and the cold outlook collapses into nothingness. Like the last few Posted Image

Must admit, you wouldn't bet again an ECM chart at 4 days out and frankly that's where some huge differences occur to the GFS.

Posted

Weather online's monthly outlook from Good Friday to May 15th

Valid from 18/04 to 15/05/2014

Dry for many

Issued: Thursday 10th April 2014
Duty forecaster: Simon Keeling & Captain Bob

Plenty of dry weather, most rain in northern areas

High pressure is expected to be in control of conditions through the coming few weeks. There will be times when it gives way allowing a few fronts to pass from west to east giving some rain. Indications are that things turn more unsettled into the middle of May.

*18/4/14 - 25/4/14*

High pressure is expected to be in evidence through this week. The high centred to the south of the country bringing dry conditions and plenty of far weather here. Thicker cloud for northern Scotland with cloud and some outbreaks of rain, windy here too.

*26/4/14 - 2/5/14*

There are indications that pressure is going to be building again through the end of the month. This should keep conditions largely dry for most places, with some sunny spells. There is a risk of some showers in the far north, but for most places it should be staying dry.

*3/5/14 - 9/5/14*

Indications are that the weather stays fair through the beginning of May. Again the emphasis is on drier weather and it may be warm too. There will be lots of dry weather. Rain may affect eastern areas at times.

*10/5/14 - 16/5/14

Hints of a more unsettled middle part of May. This is likely to be bringing some more unsettled conditions with periods of rain at times. Temperatures are likely to be around normal

Simon & Capn Bob

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=monthahead&DAY=20140410

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Still a very long way off yet, but the 18Z is showing the potential for some warm to very warm weather with temperatures possibly into the mid-twenties (maybe even the high twenties in South Eastern areas, depending on how long it lasts) from April 24 onwards. This is due to low-pressure in the west and a blocking high to the east that will bring a persistant southerly wind from southern Europe and the Mediterranean.

Like I said, still a long way off but just good enough to get the heat-lovers like me excited! Posted Image

As soon as the schools go back as usual!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Yep! Still it's nice to get the nice weather sometimes.

I know I'd rather walk to school in the sun than get soaked.

• Like 1

Posted

I know I'd rather walk to school in the sun than get soaked.

That's how I used to look at it. I liked to do things at home when I was off, so I preferred to have the nice weather when I had to go to school (when I would actually be outdoors much of the day).

• Like 1

Posted

I'm hardly out with friends during the holiday, I'm not an outdoor person anymore unless I have to go to the shop or its been snowing (which means I was out like 4 times this Winter/Spring.

• Like 1

Posted

The Start of the week is looking quite nice with temperatures up into double figures almost anywhere with the Southeast of England (as usual) experiencing the highest of these.

Posted

Yet up the North West it's cloud and single figures.

Well you never know, maybe the forecast will change and all of the UK will enjoy the nice, spring weather.

• Like 1

Posted

The 12Z is showing that this week and Easter weekend will be under the influence of high pressure. Easter Monday however could be a bit more of a NW-SE split (as usual) with unsettled conditions in the NW of the country and the SE getting away with one more pleasant day. The following Tuesday however, shows the high pressure retreating away to allow low pressure to move in, bringing with it some wet and potentially very windy weather.. This theme looks set to continue through to the end of April.

After what GFS showed last week to what we are likely to get I wouldn't worry too much best to stick to UKMO TBH its the most consistent of the lot at the moment

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

After what GFS showed last week to what we are likely to get I wouldn't worry too much best to stick to UKMO TBH its the most consistent of the lot at the moment

It's all about trends Gav, dont take any model in isolation... A bit of wind and rain is nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Possibly the nicest day of the Spring here so far. Blue skies, slack breeze and feeling quite warm out at just under 16C