Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted

Well the ECM ens have a NW/SE tilt on the jet, but with the pattern too far east so it's a generally west/north westerly flow. I'm guessing the op is in the minority in getting the Arctic ridge to push towards Greenland and instead transfer in to the north east of the UK, reinforcing the Scandi high and forces near enough all the Atlantic energy south east. Well we finally might get a decent Euro trough.Simply put it's not great at face value for the UK, but it would not take much to become epic.De Bilt looks rather chilly :)Atlantic ridge... where art thou???

I'll post some charts to illustrate my point later but the ecm ens mean has us well 'in the game' post day 6 with the mean trough less than a hundred miles off the east coast. thats the mean just a couple hundred miles away from where we need it and the spreads are all west of this. Infact, there are west spreads on the two troughs that precede it thus that westward corrections are still feasible on these. i expect an improvement on the london ens later - the 00z ones werent too shabby on v cold clusters.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything newsworthy, so long as it's not in the Daily Express

I don't think it's the Met's Further Outlook he's referring to, more Ian F's (paraphrasing) "there will hardly be any snow, but there is a concern over rain, and then we're back to westerlies".

But on the other hand he did say that the Met really respect the JMA (we already knew that from him saying the same last winter).

So with the JMA being quite bullish, then it's all a bit confused.com.

At least we have the whole of Feb and 10 days of Feb. I make that 5 weeks.......but don't forget what happened last March!

Or, erm, 10 days? Childish I know but it was there for the asking (sorry mate)! I know I'm one of the guilty parties tonight who have promoted the JMA from zero to hero but (not on my own mind you and when Fergieweather gave it colleague kudos it made my week) but it is neck and neck with GFS on verification stats (heights) according to the earlier link from Nick Sussex unless I'm reading it wrongly and as a result we'd be foolish to ignore its evolution which, most would agree, produces some of the charts of the winter in later time frames.Posted Image

Actually it's slapped the GFS rudely over recent days but overall, across the whole time period, they're neck and neck. Good to know!

Edited by supernova
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Well the ECM ensembles are out, and they are quite pleasing! Nice trough over Europe (due to blocking over Russia) and therefore we get them to cool down for the 1st time this winter! But whats nice is that the Britain is the on the boundary of the trough so we get energy digging SE,and with this occurring snowfall is likely wherever that boundary sets up across the UK!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Panayiotis
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Nice to have two new posters, Welcome to both of you... It can be like the lions den at first... But not to worry! there all just kittens really.

Just put your Locations in your profile Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

steve I seriously dont think this is over yet!!I have been analysing the charts over the past couple of hours and all it needs is a 100 mile or 200 hundred mile shift at t96 to make a good snow event!!see what the 00z runs bring and if it still shows the same then maybe a give up but not yet!!

How on earth can it be over? Just this morning both GFS and UKMO were showing fairly reasonable charts at T96, T144, and the GFS and JMA at T192. And just because the 12Z charts show something different doesn't mean we now completely discount the 00Z charts. There should be consistency first, we've learnt that by now, haven't we?

Until it's gone, the Scandi High may continue to make a mockery out of mid-term forecasts. It usually does. I do completely agree that snow this Thurs/Fri/Sun away from high ground is probably a 25% chance or less. But that is a chance. I agree it is utterly frustrating to see good synoptics marginally miss us. But that doesn't mean the next chart will turn out like that. 

I'm not saying there is no reason to be downbeat if you are a coldie - the odds are certainly not in the cold camp's favour this week, the last weeks of deep winter appear rushing towards us, and there is, it must be admitted, an apparent agreement at T168 that an Atlantic low will hurl towards us yet again. It's natural some are fearing the worst, considering we haven't got even close to a good cold chart inside T96 yet this winter. But it is definitely, definitely not over. Because just as it is normal for the UK to have zonal weather early in the winter, it would be abnormal for the Atlantic not to start slowing down from this point, especially as we go into February, and that means more chance of blocking and easterlies. If "normality" has anything to do with it, then the synoptics cold lovers are after will more than likely increase and increase from this point onwards. Not definitely, some winters it just doesn't work out, but 'more than likely'. 

And back to the beginning - I will not write off a Scandi High unless it is shown to be on the way out inside T72 - and even if the very likely Atlantic spell does materialise early next week, if it doesn't completely kill off the Scandi, I expect to see it bite back shortly after...

Just my opinion, hopefully based on a lot of experience of watching these charts rather too obsessively.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

& the updated ensembles for ECM.

Operational is the MILDEST run.

http://www.knmi.nl/exp/pluim/Data/PLUIM_06260_NWT.png

In short. The best set of short ensembles of the year with the -20c scale being used of the first time.S 

The ensemble trend also is for reduced energy crossing the Atlantic between T+168 and T+240. Not quite clear cut yet though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@steve murr. Steve a question. I c u pointed out the falias but how many of the 240h charts from ecmf showing cold outputs since november verifyed? Not only that it didn't verify wouldn't u say the gfs done rather well for our part of the world? It's all good looking at 240h charts showing cold but lot of the models have the pv is too strong this time.

Couldn't agree more with weather eaters comments. With some of the more abstruse "chancer" forecasts, this winter, that might now have proven to be (maybe?) almost based upon selling sensation to the media, that the antithesis - the views of IF (etc), are now clung to as the advocates of better and objective science - forecasting fact - being protectors of established Reason and orthodoxy - from the position of having more information than is available to most of us public - and clamping down on aspirant amateurs, as they might yet, and probably prove to be? Quite a powerful position for the professionals now to be in and fascinating to watch, in my opinion - it's been great and compelling to read posts over the last 15 weeks!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

John Hammond just said mild air probably winning with rain pushing east during next weekend, so the odds favour a non event followed by more atlantic dross unfortunately.

just highlighting a key word Frosty.. keep the faith 

To be honest it would be foolish to ignore a very positive set of ECM ens tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

I think that had it been not for the expected strengthening of the Jet flow next week giving extra oomph to the Atlantic push from the weekend the path to cold would have been very much easier given the synoptics to the NE.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

In other words, more of the same as the last few months, sorry guys but even my enthusiasm will only stretch so far. I hope that you all take notice of the expert, fergieweather.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well my goodness, I got home from work and was greeted by my wife saying, I've got you aloud of flat pack stuff to build while I'm at work tonigh, and I'll be honest, that was more enjoyable than some of the posts I've read through in the last few pages.

Do we never learn, or take note of some of the more knowledgable posters in here. One thing I have learnt while model watching the past few years as a learner myself, is that never trust one run from any model, await the ensembles, and even wait for the next run to see if it is trending, be it cold or otherwise, if you do that and try and take a balanced view from some of the experienced members of this forum, you will find the experience a lot less stressful.

Some great posts in here tonight from the likes of Steve, Nick, Tamara, chionomaiac to name a few, but also some very testing ones, I wish I waited to look at the models until after I had caught up now, I would have pleasantly been surprised after the doom and gloom I've read lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Winters

I think that had it been not for the expected strengthening of the Jet flow next week giving extra oomph to the Atlantic push from the weekend the path to cold would have been very much easier given the synoptics to the NE.

Hi Martin don't you feel though that whatever models show they always seem to be over egged be it the jet stream forecast or a high to the east or a low to the west. In my ten years watching this forum I have seen 1050 highs and 950 lows modelled, but when it comes to the day the highs are about 1030 and lows at about 990 ish. We only get to see the GFS jet stream forecast and I believe that is fraught with the same model bias as it's H 500s that Steve Murr refers to often. I think this weekend is tough one to call. From what I have read tonight the Met are going for an Atlantic victory in thus occasion but I remember last March and if we can keep even a small wedge of heights to our north east it May deliver snowfall and if it's anything like last spring, well that was the mist epic snowfall in my memory ( even better than December 2010
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Ah but hang about: many very much more expert folk posting on here, I can assure you. Anyway - the similar trend in JMA and the 12z EC ENS has certainly caught the eye of colleagues. It's one to watch for where we head in the output over the next day or two, for sure.

You are the expert ian, I think there is a lot of hopecasting going on in here tonight. I take notice of the met office above all and it just sounds like more of the same dross to me.
  • Like 3