Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

The ECM at 168hrs keeps a train of low heights connected to the PV chunk upstream, this is either going to be a damp squib or snow fest, theres now enough cold to the east for a good undercut, if you get the favourable low track then it could deliver a lot of snow, or just cold rain if the pattern is too far east, its actually quite an unusual set up. Could go either way, high risk roulette!

But the progressive nature between 144 and 168 looks a bit extreme to me to be honest , gets rid of that polar -AO in a flash. Anything just past 144 is just for fun
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Yes Steve but there is just something very wrong image wise.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

JMA not so good as previous runs perhaps but still cold and probably some snow about for a while. Possible Easterly to follow, depends on how much forcing there is from the next Atlantic low.

Posted Image

ECM is exceptionally progressive through 144/168 but overall the support for any sort of strong Atlantic ridge Arctic high link up has largely gone missing this evening.

Edited by Mucka

Posted

+144 and then onto +168 doesn't make sense to me , it get's rid of a 1030 High over Greenland in a flash .....

You have to be careful with so called high pressures over the Greenland area. They are often not really there. A sign of a genuine Greenland high is oranges and yellows in the 500hpa charts.
  • Like 3

Posted

See, I knew the good old JMA would agree with something...Posted Image

Nasty little freezing storm still there with the ECM.

Posted Image

But seems to disperse south without being that windy. Not sure how accurate that is!

Posted Image

Yes I'm absolutely baffled at how we get from T144 to T168!! I would genuinely be interested in an explanation from anyone who thinks they know!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

JMA still bullish with the MJO forecast as well I note compared to the others, taking it into favourable phase 8 territory. (It was dated 19/1 yesterday and is 20/1 now - still waiting for an updated UKMO MJO forecast, though).

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

These similar looking charts all seem to indicate a change to colder conditions. Does similarity imply more accuracy perhaps? They all bring about an easterly or south easterly off the continent.....

GFS. 8 days out: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=192&mode=0

ECM 8 days out: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php

GEM 8 days out: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/geme_cartes.php?&ech=192&mode=0&carte=0

JMA 7 days out: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/jma.php

Surely they can't all be wrong, can they? Or maybe I'm wrong - wouldn't be the first or even the fifty-first time.....but you have to keep hoping don't you!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

You have to be careful with so called high pressures over the Greenland area. They are often not really there. A sign of a genuine Greenland high is oranges and yellows in the 500hpa charts.

Yes, due to the high land and ice mass its often shows a false HP because the air is raised much higher, often why it looks like a forcefield to low pressures in Labrabor, they squeeze around it but seldom over it
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well the block is still hanging there. I noticed the words the mild air will probably win has disappeared again from the forecasts. While the block remains there's always a chance. Okay abit of hope casting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Whilst everyone looks to the north west in horror, it's really over Siberia where things go wrong with the ECM wanting to transfer energy across the pole and in doing that recharges the Greenland/Canadian vortex and also puts pressure on the Scandi high. This is what you can see with the T144 and T168 charts

Posted Image

Posted Image

So basically we need that to do one on future output. The shortwaves going over the Atlantic ridge is not the end of the world as if you have heights solid to the north east then you have every chance of getting a decent easterly after it has past whilst keeping a mainly polar maritime sourced flow. 

The Siberian area for the PV is like a cat on a hot tin roof.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Some good consistency from the 0z with the power struggle between the Russian High (very strong on ECM) and the energy coming from the PV. The AH also a bit player at times. 

T240: post-14819-0-98110900-1390330550_thumb.g

It now looks like the initial Arctic High is transient and is being continually modelled to sink SE to reinforce the Russian High.

Multiple possible outcomes in such a scenario from D10-15, if it happens, but it looks unlikely we will get any sustained cold before the end of the month; cool zonality looks the call still and that means rain mainly for the south.

Posted

Just the natural ebbs and flows from the NWP, but the charts tonight are rather underwhelming from a wintry point of view (at least for most of lowland Britain).  Thank god this is a T+240 chart!

Posted Image

Edited by mulzy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'm sorry but something just looks wrong on the ECM 12z, what I don't know but I don't buy that overly progressive and rapid westerly attack & collapse of the heights. Maybe some sort of error? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I would like to take a minute to highlight the ECM a minute where I think it looses the plot .

This is the 144 chart

post-9095-0-43584200-1390330969_thumb.jp

Notice the high pressure the northeast has a core of 1040. Everything looking good going forward , yes a distinct vortex toward Canada ,but it looks poised to head toward a wintry pattern from there , but instead we go to this

post-9095-0-28987700-1390331119_thumb.jp

we still have a very strong high but it's sinking , and the vortex is between the two pieces is rapidly joining forces again , yes we still have energy going southeast but it's game over from that point in my opinion , but it's far too progressive in the way it dictates the sinking of the high pressure .

Posted

I'm sorry but something just looks wrong on the ECM 12z, what I don't know but I don't buy that overly progressive and rapid westerly attack & collapse of the heights. Maybe some sort of error? 

How the high can go in 24 hours, a 1030mb high amazes me! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Some over zealous moderation?

Posts have gone missing discussing the ECM evolution and its likelihood of verifying?

Posted

Theres two ways of looking at tonights outputs, if the models follow recent trends then they will pull the high further west and those low heights will be further west aswell.

This was the ECM  prediction for the 26th January on Sundays 12hrs run:

post-1206-0-47504900-1390331824_thumb.gi

This is the prediction on tonights output:

post-1206-0-80542900-1390331835_thumb.gi

Close upstream, big fail downstream.

• Like 2

Posted

Another observation on the ECM. At T144 the low heights from the Atlantic have nearly phased (joined) with those over S Europe, looking like they will close the loop below Scandi High. But at T168, the hole has actually got bigger again! Surely the loop has to close after T144???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

fully agree its 12z evolution is odd to say the least in both energy track, and formation of divergence an odd run indeed.
  • Like 1