Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 19th January 2014-18z onwards.

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I will take the NAVGEM

Posted Image

There is your decent energy clearance, low will sink south east and in comes the easterly.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

If only we were seeing the mouth drawling, jaw dropping 10hpa charts that have been consistently chucked out by the GFS, the 18z no exception, back in December.

Take a look, its quite a finish

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=384&mode=10&carte=1 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

These are the sort of daft posts that ruin this thread. 'pity it won't happen' ? Why not then? Perhaps you'd care to explain or are you just trying to dampen the mood because it's a pretty good run and spirits are high. Sorry Purga but you do have form in this respect...

Do you seriously expect a low resolution GFS run to verify exactly as shown at +264h when it's been pointed out by professionals the extreme uncertainty (Shannon Entropy) present even at a relatively short range? It's a fun run to look at as I said but c'mon get real! Posted Image

• Like 2

The pub run sure has been on the whisky tonight, I'd be buried under 2 feet of snow if those FI charts came off.

Posted Image

Shame the odds of that happening like that are a quintillion to one or something, ah well a bit of fun

Edited by Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

The pub run sure has been on the whisky tonight, I'd be buried under 2 feet of snow if those FI charts came off.

Posted Image

Shame the odds of that happening like that are like 1 quintillion to one or something, ah well a bit of fun

happened last March? I'll have a nugget on that if your offering those odds though

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Posted Image

Shame the odds of that happening like that are like 1 quintillion to one or something, ah well a bit of fun

You do know reverse psychology doesn't work with models right? :p also, no point using probability on something which we don't know the precise chances of happening, even if it is a ridiculous number like quintillion :p there are so many variables we cannot account for. I reckon that the chances of it happening exactly this way are extremely slim, but then we don't need it to happen precisely like this to get snow! Actually, the chances of colder weather are relatively high, just not the most likely. In any case, dabbling with probability is dangerous as it can lead to false hope and false pessimism! A 90% chance of snow leaves a 10% chance of no snow! The same works in reverse!

• Like 4

Posted

Do you seriously expect a low resolution GFS run to verify exactly as shown at +264h when it's been pointed out by professionals the extreme uncertainty (Shannon Entropy) present even at a relatively short range? It's a fun run to look at as I said but c'mon get real! Posted Image

the thing is, there is nothing wrong with the run.,its broadly in line with the mean anomolys and shows that a fairly small westward correction brings a whole different ball game for our little island, this was my point earlier in response to the mean 11/15 day ECM chart.

That run could easily be chucked out by ECM in a day or so. Tbh, it isn't Shannon entropy, those runs which follow the mean anomolys are the antithesis of that. as Martin posted earlier, the consistency of the ens (thats ecm/gefs/gem) runs around this general solution is noteworthy out to around T300 when the American models go a bit more normal zonal.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

What is useful, though, is that the change that allows for this run happens very early, a change in the relative positions of the lows allowing heights to build up to Greenland. Of course there could be the usual shortwave drama popping up later but, as we stand now, that first step makes the result a greater possibility.

lol, it  looks like the pub run is actually  living up to it's name for once Posted Image

It is so good, this is the brewery run.

I am enjoying it for what it is, very unlikely to come off but that's another matter.

Posted

Of course not but would you have posted the same comment had it shown mild? Surely it is as likely as most other GFS 'default progressive' low res output of late?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It's so frustrating watching the PV get distorted and split and all the cold air spilling to low latitudes around the northern hemisphere.....everywhere except the UK! It really is bad luck. Look at the 850 uppers around the northern hemisphere next week! The USA is about to get "polar vortex part 2" as the media are calling it. At least Russia is getting the cold and snow for the winter games. We might all need to tune in and get our snow fix that way!

As I've repeatedly said, it was clear days ago that it would be a lottery as to where in the mid latitudes the cold ended up engulfing. There was just too many variables against getting a favourable location for the blocking to take hold- bar one or two suites neither the GEFS or ECM ensembles went for a well positioned block and there was never a point (that I saw) where both ensemble suites brought favourable blocking to our locale at the same time. That PV around Greenland/Canada won't allow blocking to gain a proper foothold in a location that will benefit us as it just acts to keep spitting energy into the Atlantic. Until it's 'warmed out' or pushed from its residence, I can't see a way to get cold into the UK.

• Like 1

You do know reverse psychology doesn't work with models right? Posted Image also, no point using probability on something which we don't know the precise chances of happening, even if it is a ridiculous number like quintillion Posted Image there are so many variables we cannot account for. I reckon that the chances of it happening exactly this way are extremely slim, but then we don't need it to happen precisely like this to get snow! Actually, the chances of colder weather are relatively high, just not the most likely. In any case, dabbling with probability is dangerous as it can lead to false hope and false pessimism! A 90% chance of snow leaves a 10% chance of no snow! The same works in reverse!

It's hard to predict that at 24hrs let alone 252. At that range it's looking across the models and the ensembles over a period of time for trends and building blocks. What an individual run shows at that range is virtually meaningless. So it's just a bit of fun, meanwhile keep looking for those building blocks across the ensembles etc.

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted

This was in my list of two possible scenarios, not the deep cold but lots of snow if troughing disrupts to the west of the UK, I don't think the deep easterly is on as it looks like troughing will always be very close to the west.

It would be nice to be in this model thread discussing which areas are likeliest to see snow rather than theres a chance of snow at T200hrs! I would be very frustrated if this Arctic high can't deliver something to the UK, its the best chance all winter but some luck will be needed with the upstream pattern.

At least theres some cold air to tap into over mainland Europe so lets hope that something finally goes right, and lets hope the BBC don't force their forecasters to look miserable if by some chance the snow finally arrives, I want one to pull rank and say great, we've had enough crapola rain and flooding, enjoy the snow folks!

There can be only one!Posted Image

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQybCL-azym-tVq207Nr_8DaUfsmJxrUPnCym_xxI5p6nVdSw333Q

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

If you think that way then why do you constantly post GFS FI charts when they are showing mild outcomes? Come on purga, give it a rest now please! Your wind ups are getting very tiresome!

This is very true. Whenever zonal outcomes are shown way in to FI Purga posts them and makes a statement about how "the westerly onslaught looks set to continue" or other such nonsense in a definitive manner. Never any statement of "It won't happen" then. 

Edited by The Post-modern Winter
  • Like 5

Posted

As I've repeatedly said, it was clear days ago that it would be a lottery as to where in the mid latitudes the cold ended up engulfing. There was just too many variables against getting a favourable location for the blocking to take hold- bar one or two suites neither the GEFS or ECM ensembles went for a well positioned block and there was never a point (that I saw) where both ensemble suites brought favourable blocking to our locale at the same time. That PV around Greenland/Canada won't allow blocking to gain a proper foothold in a location that will benefit us as it just acts to keep spitting energy into the Atlantic. Until it's 'warmed out' or pushed from its residence, I can't see a way to get cold into the UK.

Not quite true Crewe. It's tough but an adjustment sw of about 300/500 miles would do the trick. Is that impossible?
  • Like 3

Posted

For the benefit of lurkers on here, don't take the GFS precipitation charts literally after 192 hours. The resolution decreases and therefore the grid sizes also increase which makes it look like there will be far more rain / snow than us actually going to be the case. Obviously even before this they are not useful really at long range anyway. In essence they can be amusing to look at but even if the Synoptics were bang on there would be much less snow than these charts tend to show.

Posted

Does make me laugh on here when snowfests are showing people saying no chance of verifying yet when wind, rain and zonal dross are showing winter is over and its a nailed on pattern for next 6 weeks Posted Image

Let’s put it this way, over the last 7/8 years I’ve seen the models forecast zonal, wind, rain, dross, hundreds of times and be right, this winter a case in point, I’ve also seen dozens of occasions during that time where the models have forecasted cold and snow, the majority of which have failed to happen. The cold hard fact of living in the UK is that most of our weather comes off the Atlantic, so when the models run with the idea of zonal, wind, rain, dross, it’s perfectly believable, cold and snow projections on the other hand should always be viewed with hope rather than expectation, personally I want to see the whites of the eyes before putting faith in cold synoptics, 96hrs or less.

Edited by weather eater
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

the thing is, there is nothing wrong with the run.,its broadly in line with the mean anomolys and shows that a fairly small westward correction brings a whole different ball game for our little island, this was my point earlier in response to the mean 11/15 day ECM chart.That run could easily be chucked out by ECM in a day or so. Tbh, it isn't Shannon entropy, those runs which follow the mean anomolys are the antithesis of that. as Martin posted earlier, the consistency of the ens (thats ecm/gefs/gem) runs around this general solution is noteworthy out to around T300 when the American models go a bit more normal zonal.

BA if we get some consistency starting to manifest over the coming days and cross model agreement etc then sure I'll start to get interested. In fact I am interested in how things are developing but we should all be aware of how notoriously difficult it is to get cold into these Isles and how the usual 'form horse' is indeed zonal dross which always seems to have much more chance of verifying.

I would dearly love it if the cold charts materialise and yes it's great fun to ramp it all up on a wing and a prayer . Ramp on folks!

Posted

Not quite true Crewe. It's tough but an adjustment sw of about 300/500 miles would do the trick. Is that impossible?

given the 'winter' so far, it may be a stretch lolfor what its worth, i do hope the seemingly impossible, works out for us! Even tragic draztik would like some snow. If for the sake and sanity of this forum alone :)
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Not quite true, even with a raging PV over Canada/Greenland you can still get heights close enough to the UK to bring cold weather. Just in this case we are literally just a couple of hundred miles away from very cold surface conditions and potential battleground events.

Not to say that won't change. The Arctic high looks set to reinforce that high to the north east, could it push west? Could we get a link (even briefly) between the Atlantic and arctic ridges. Both of those could push things in our favour. 

Oh well with the block to the north east continuing to exist, my sanity levels will continue to drop to new depths (currently sub zero by my last check).... standard Posted Image

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS 18z ensembles.

Looking through the ensembles out to 120h it seems they have finally caught on to Arctic high and are modelling it more accurately.

The general result of this a Westward correction the pattern. 

They are also showing a little more amplification upstream in the main which is also what we want to see but no way to know if these changes are particular to this set or a trend we can look forward tomorrow.

Either way it will be interesting to see how many manage to develop colder runs.

• Like 3