Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 30/01/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

nasty old shower about to move into Western areas of the region..

Oh no, look out, it sounds like Hell's Grannies are about, and they're looking for trouble:post-3098-0-32733100-1391611199_thumb.jp Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Next lot of rain/gusts now incoming.......

I want one of these!!!!

https://twitter.com/BrownesPhoto/status/430830247496650753/photo/1

Awesome!!

xxxx

• Like 1

Posted

Hi there currently got heavy snow here in morzine. Looks like the south east has taken yet another battering from winds

Edited by Tom Jarvis

Posted

saturdays storm is currrently bottoming out lower at i say this now lower than 87 altho i am in dicussion on the MAD thread as some says the 87 storm had a sting jet which i disagree with.

However saturday is looking bad full stop

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

saturdays storm is currrently bottoming out lower at i say this now lower than 87 altho i am in dicussion on the MAD thread as some says the 87 storm had a sting jet which i disagree with.

However saturday is looking bad full stop

Quite a few storms have been lower than the 1987 one. Remember it isn't to do with how deep the centre is, it's how tight the isobars are, the tighter they are, the stronger the winds. The 1987 storm did have a sting jet, as confirmed from the metoffice write up. 

"The famous ‘Great Storm’ cut a swathe of damage across South-east England in the early hours of the 16th October 1987. It was a good example of a storm with a ’Sting Jet’"http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/2/p/Sting_Jet_Flyer.PDF
  • Like 5

Posted

I don't think we were expecting it this bad over here, the house is literally shaking now as the wind gusts, no idea how hard it is gusting but I think it must be approaching what it was in the october storm last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Pouring with rain in Ippy and very strong wind but I don't think its as strong as some people are experiencing. Although the lamp post at the back of the house is rocking about. If it fell over, it'd be like the episode of One Foot in the Grave. :D

Anyway, where is our own Kate Addie AKA Steve C. Thought we'd have had some more SW reports. Hope he's ok and not half way across the Atlantic. :O

• Like 2

Posted

Quite a few storms have been lower than the 1987 one. Remember it isn't to do with how deep the centre is, it's how tight the isobars are, the tighter they are, the stronger the winds. The 1987 storm did have a sting jet, as confirmed from the metoffice write up. 

"The famous ‘Great Storm’ cut a swathe of damage across South-east England in the early hours of the 16th October 1987. It was a good example of a storm with a ’Sting Jet’"http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/2/p/Sting_Jet_Flyer.PDF

Hi Perfect Storm agreed there have been deeper ones than the great storm. As i said on the model thread i wasnt aware it was classified as a sting jet storm. i remember it well. i stand corrected about the sting jet however this is a violent storm no matter what

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Yep, rain has gone off for a bit, still windy tho, although not stopping the crazy abseiling roofer people noodling about on the building opposite.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all on this rather wet and windy day, some heavier rain fell overnight then it stopped during the morning and started again with showers this afternoon and that pretty much remains the theme now windy and intermittent showers, some heavy some light, but feeling cold when out in the wind, 7.8oC out in the shed right now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seems to be mainly going around us here in Medway or is it yet to come?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Hope it continues to scatter round me here as I have to step out in a while (walking), seems to have stopped raining again here but still looks quite blowy.

CK, who called you slow? I will err set the Cockatiel on them (male one) as he is scary at times.

Posted

Jax, with my dodgy knees, unfortunately now days I can only be slow, to much cricket on those long hot summer days of '76, I still can remember the juddering resounding through my kneecaps, amazing really to think that summer I got engaged, hit my first 50, got 50 wickets in the season, what a year, what a summer and do you know what the only thing I can't remember is the engagement.

Going forwards almost 40 years, I am a bit excited tonight, as you may be aware its the wife's 60th tonight, because of travelling, Dartford bridge and the wind, we had not planned anything, got in early, so I thought I give a restaurant which we never been able to get into (for locals coach and horses in ruxley garden centre), blow me they had a cancellation, so off we go. Really excited by that.

Still blowy out, sky's look threatening as well, but the nights are drawing out.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 5

Posted

Really gusty our there now, great for the walk to son's trampolining and back, hope the rain at least hold off, better do a radar check. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Rain now stopped.....oh hang on, it's started again. :O still blustery but not as bad.

Just had a big plate of stew and dumplings for dinner. Perfect on days like this. :) yum,

• Like 3

Posted

Rain now stopped.....oh hang on, it's started again. :O still blustery but not as bad. Just had a big plate of stew and dumplings for dinner. Perfect on days like this. :) yum,

Quite windy very little rain. And a nice chicken casserole with dumplings that I have made for dinner.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

saturdays storm is currrently bottoming out lower at i say this now lower than 87 altho i am in dicussion on the MAD thread as some says the 87 storm had a sting jet which i disagree with.However saturday is looking bad full stop

There was a sting jet in 1987 http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/2/p/Sting_Jet_Flyer.PDFEdit: storm is now recorded as 945mb for Saturday. Isobars looks so tight. Currently it's blowing a hoolie outside in brighton. I'm sad for the west pier, yet more has succumbed to the elements Edited by Alpine glow

Posted

I am so jealous for the stew and dumplings, funny, you see something and then yu want it even if you didn't know you wanted it before, guess that's why advertising works.

Anyway, just went to doctors, came out and it was really windy still although not really raining, just wet in the air, not nice.

Posted

Haha classic slip of the tongue, Southernman just asked me if I was reading "Wetweather", he didn't realise he said it till I laughed and corrected him.

Does seem more like wetweather recently.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Evening everyone

Unfortunately I got distracted today and the ironing is no further forward...but I have been to the supermarket and the piggies will get veggies tonight.. yay!

No rain the last 90mins or so. However wind has picked up Here quote noticeably over the last 30mins - we have even had a "whistle" from the double glazing and another thunk from outside....off to investigate.

Edit: ("Here" being  on E/W Sussex borders with Surrey 8 miles away and Kent not too further (12 miles) either....makes for interesting reading of the Met Office warnings!)

xxx