Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Has actually been quite pleasant out in the sun today, the car was reading 10C when I came back to Egham from Staines half an hour ago. Turning very dark from the north though. I also notice a sferic in the London area so perhaps some thunder late too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

So, after my  Weather God prediction of no lying snow for our region for the 2013/14 winter - anyone want to hear what I have to say on this years summer?

Yes?

Okay then:

Hot and violent.

That is all.

Edited by legrandefromage
  • Like 4

Posted

Liking that blog BB, there certainly is plenty of conspiracy theorist stuff around on the web about the Gravesend weather station,it's all a bit puzzling to me, I've been there and seen all the complaints from pylons to warm water outflow, to sandy soil, none very relevant when you see its open position on the Swanscombe peninsula. 

I think the main problem is that the perception that somewhere like Gravesend shouldn't be the warmest place in Britain because of where it is and what it looks like. I remember Will Self writing a column in 2003 about how surely somewhere to West of London/Surrey should hold such records, not the likes of Gravesend - sums up columnists like Will Self and newspapers in general really.

Hi Bjk, I'm glad you and Ck both enjoyed the link to that blog, it's well worth following and the author writes a new post every day. Heaven knows where he finds the time.

Why I find it suprising that Gravesend quite often records the highest temperatures is it's proximity to the sea and the Thames Estuary. I would normally expect that to peg maximums back a degree or two compared with say, Heathrow ( which also features quite often ) but of course there are other variables at play.

Just a light rain here now and no thunder, hope everyone is having a good dayPosted Image

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Am being naughty and squirreling my way in while at work.... 3.5oC this morning at 6.40am, cloudy and damp.  More like a Novemember morning I thought.  Then drove past all the beautiful magnolia blossom in WGC centre and felt smugly relieved that we don't have to go through the whole of December, Jan and Feb to reach the Spring.  Imagine my surprised humility on looking up at my garret office window, a few minutes ago, to sideways heavy snow...! Ah well, looks like winter really is just starting then...Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Afternoon all (and Hi-Di-Hi to BlueBlazer54 Posted Image )

It's been a busy couple of days here in fact yesterday was ‘Non Stop’ with Liam Neeson  (and Mr P) in Cineworld followed by some time with Frankie and Benny and a cinnamon maple waffle Posted Image

I'm still keeping one eye on the weather though and some heavy showers coming off the North Sea have been affecting the region... 

post-10773-0-82253700-1395847268_thumb.p

looks like there has been some hail mixed in with them as well as some sleet and possibly snow in places, thanks to 'Evaporative cooling' where it’s heavy enough to drag down the cold air aloft to the surface which makes it easier for the precipitation to stay as snow the whole way down. Just had a nice little covering of grauple here (is it to late for the snow cup?)

post-10773-0-16773500-1395847346_thumb.j

A chilly 5 deg c here now but looks like it will be warming up nicely for Mother's Day Sunday…..

post-10773-0-62071600-1395847399_thumb.p

Monday may be warmer still, we could perhaps hit 21-22 degrees in parts of this region….

post-10773-0-17667000-1395847454_thumb.p

• Like 5

Posted

Just got in from a hard day :-).car registering 3.5c and sleet falling in amongst the heavy rain. Wife ain't happy I got in early as she has to put up with me for longer, thought that was a bit harsh, but thinking about it I can now see her point of view.

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon All,

So today probably wasn't a good day to just have a cardigan to keep me warm then...? (my reasoning for going without a coat this morning is that I am working at my office that is less than a two minute walk from London Bridge Stn and Mr Raven is picking me up when I arrive later at Barnehurst Station, so I'm not that stupid Posted Image Posted Image )

I don't have any windows at work today, so have been relying on all of your reports - and I hear some of us are having snow...?!

Fingers crossed the trains aren't playing up today, or I could be pretty cold later Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Well roger me timbers, there be snow in that there rain. First of the winter for me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Rather nippy day again, and we had a short burst of wintry precip a while ago, bright-ish between the showers blowing over, have to nip out in a mo as well as I need to pay the council tax (yep that time of year is back with us) and return a DVD to the library (luckily I can do all this in five minutes as it is not far from me), after that I am un-decided if I should venture out and do some shopping (which is a bit further to walk)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Am being naughty and squirreling my way in while at work.... 3.5oC this morning at 6.40am, cloudy and damp.  More like a Novemember morning I thought.  Then drove past all the beautiful magnolia blossom in WGC centre and felt smugly relieved that we don't have to go through the whole of December, Jan and Feb to reach the Spring.  Imagine my surprised humility on looking up at my garret office window, a few minutes ago, to sideways heavy snow...! Ah well, looks like winter really is just starting then...Posted Image

And let's all hope is disappears again, just as fast?Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

MENTALLLLLL Hail and snow mix here tings turning white LOL

Have you taken any pictures? Is your lawn white? I've just got rain here, 5.0c, suppose to be 20c come Sunday.

Edited by lassie23

Posted

Well Hi-Di-Hi-Di-Hi there Ali.Posted Image

I actually think you might have a valid case there re the Snow Depth Cup judging by your photo. What a contrast from last year eh? Poor old Tom and Chris, after all the work they put in to organising it.

• Like 3

Posted

3.6c :cold: snow reports starting to pop up..

I think today's snow chances have been underplayed, I've seen a few icy bits mixed in the rain, and its only 4pm. In london :p Much to play for - btw CK its all too late, we are destined for relegation, we've bought too many players and they've failed to gel together. I hope we keep Ian Holloway he is a top class manager, i don't think we will though.

Horrid day, there's nothing like being in a warm house :)

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Well Hi-Di-Hi-Di-Hi there Ali.Posted Image

I actually think you might have a valid case there re the Snow Depth Cup judging by your photo. What a contrast from last year eh? Poor old Tom and Chris, after all the work they put in to organising it.

the snow depth cup can always be wheeled out of spring/summer hibernation....the thread is just on temporary lock, so just say the word and.......

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Afternoon all Posted Image

Err..... I don't quite know what to say..

I SAW SNOW FALLING TODAY!!! Posted Image

It was only for half an hour and was only wet but it still counts. That looks like my lot though as temperature set to rise and approach 20C by Sunday.

Snow to early summer warmth in a couple of days. March you have succeeded again in providing a decent month of weather.

PS - Bye bye Avatar :p

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 9

Posted

hi all

temps here 2.3 and tampered by a chilly wind

gave up doing roof today

too blinking cold brrrrrr

i am going lamp post watch tonight but will wait til after 11 pm (not expecting a covering though)

have had some wintry bits so far today

glad to hear from you tamPosted ImagePosted Image

i am unsure with the outlook at present but ukmo has a potential cold start to april in store

anyway back later with the updates

john

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hello everyone - hope you are all wellPosted Image

Great to see you back in here Tamara, I hope everything is going well for you, Shadow certainly looks at home in his new crate Posted Image

A few more 'wintery' mixes by way of precipitation here during the afternoon, mostly wet and cold stuff anyway - thankfully it's not going to be like this at the weekend as I've been planning a yomp and was rather hoping not to get the walking boots (or the rest of me) too muddy......Steve C you will be pleased to know I have been watching on line tutorials on how not to jump over muddy puddles just in case Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

Good evening all, and especially to you Tams,

Yes indeed, April is looking rather on the chilly side as you say. Rather late in the season to enjoy this sort of inversion for me, but we can't choose the weather.

The local country park has dried up nicely, but the dogs and me met up with a rather large bulldozer this morning shifting the piles of mud that had covered the pathways. Should keep him busy for a few weeks Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Great to see you back in here Tamara, I hope everything is going well for you, Shadow certainly looks at home in his new crate Posted Image

A few more 'wintery' mixes by way of precipitation here during the afternoon, mostly wet and cold stuff anyway - thankfully it's not going to be like this at the weekend as I've been planning a yomp and was rather hoping not to get the walking boots (or the rest of me) too muddy......Steve C you will be pleased to know I have been watching on line tutorials on how not to jump over muddy puddles just in case Posted Image

Can't play your video MKPosted Image I like seeing people fall into stuff. 3.5c clear