Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Banter, Moans and Ramps Spring/Summer 2014

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Ok - so to those who like it hot, what do you enjoyed about baking temperatures of 30C+?I can't think of anything more uncomfortable.

Could say the same thing about temperatures of -10C, but I bet many would like that on here despite many households waking up each morning with frost inside the house. Just saying.......

As for 30C, I've never had any issue, enjoyed the 2006 spell where 30C was reached many days where I used to live.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

it is within the average/normal area though tony, and im here in the east mids often plagued by north sea cloud. of course some areas have had it great, esp in the west, but we have still not had a 25c (although that could be reached in the next hour or so).as a heat lover ive only had a few very nice days here and there so far..... so my post stands, would snow lovers be content with an average, or near average winter? of course they wouldnt and i wouldnt blame them either despite my dislike of cold.

I love the heat as much as you do but it's clear your definition of a good summer is purely hot weather driven. For me whilst I appreciate the heat, there has been quite plentiful amounts of sunshine and fairly respectable temperatures to boot. Today is bordering hot actually. So whilst it may not be perfect (yet) for heat it's been very decent and there is no room to complain after the garbage of 2007-12 IMO.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Ok - so to those who like it hot, what do you enjoyed about baking temperatures of 30C+?I can't think of anything more uncomfortable.

I agree.. But being a Weather enthusiast as much as I hate Heat, We all look for the extremes of the Seasons.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

As a heat lover ive only had a few very nice days here and there so far..... so my post stands, would snow lovers be content with an average, or near average winter? of course they wouldnt and i wouldnt blame them either despite my dislike of cold.

I would here Rob.  :p

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

heat sucks for me, nothing fun about it at all, so far this has been a great summer, never too hot or cold or wet, looks like on models Atlantic air and unsettled weather arriving from friday, so should not be hot maybe now until Aug

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

heat sucks for me, nothing fun about it at all, so far this has been a great summer, never too hot or cold or wet, looks like on models Atlantic air and unsettled weather arriving from friday, so should not be hot maybe now until Aug

Yep. not a heat lover myself so this Spring/Summer has gone well for me too. only transient bouts of heat at the moment which probably won't last too long and it's not that hot so I can cope :)

Edited by simshady
  • Like 1

Posted

i wonder if those of you suggesting us heat lovers should be happy or content with 'average' (which is about what were having) would do the same in winter when all the hoards of snow lovers come out of hibernation?no...thought not

of course winter lovers wouldn't be content, average temps in winter are about 6-8c, even 1c isn't good enough for snow really, ideally for sustained snow it needs to be 0c or below, who cares' if it's 23c instead of 30c in summer that's still warm enough, we still have about 2 months left to see a heatwave, if it was jan 12th now we'd have about five weeks left to see a brutal cold spell esp the south, and before you say it gets dark earlier in September you've still got all bloody day to see sunshine and heat, evenings aren't mean't to be 25-30c, i don't complain that it's never -5c during the day in december as that temp usually only happens at night, i'd be happy with -1-2c 

even if the rest of summer was a total washout it wouldn't even come close to the dire winter of 2013/14 from a coldies point of view as we've already had some warm sunny days, i hardly saw a ground frost last winter

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

I care little about the temperature when it rises past about 22C. I'm looking for calm and settled for a good summer.

Things could go bang by the end of the week though with someone getting hit with a big t-storm. Not before some were sees the first 30C of the season?

Edited by BlueSkies_do_I_see

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Have to admit that whilst not the best summer weather (too humid), it has at least been reasonable rather than 30C+ by day and 20C nights. In addition this month has seemed to be the pretty traditional 3 fine days and a breakdown type. Even todays models now back that.

I still want an August breakdown but the models could be worse.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

im exactly the opposite, its cold that i find uncomfortable. i love heat, im comfortable with heat, i like drinking and cooling down in the pool. plus the heat and humidity really bring out the scents of the summer scented flowers...the lilies, jasmine, buddlia. guess im heat tollerant more then some. i like outdoor living, but it has to be warm enough , im an outdoor person but i feel the cold, i hate wrapping up in cumbersome clothing to keep the cold out .

I love the heat as much as you do but it's clear your definition of a good summer is purely hot weather driven. For me whilst I appreciate the heat, there has been quite plentiful amounts of sunshine and fairly respectable temperatures to boot. Today is bordering hot actually. So whilst it may not be perfect (yet) for heat it's been very decent and there is no room to complain after the garbage of 2007-12 IMO.

yes we have had some decent weather, certainly better then most of recent years (except last year), but we in the east mids missed out on the earlier sun/warmth as the high positioned itself close to our northwest... we had the usual days of grey murk off the north sea. i mean, would cold lovers be content with a winter of temps around 2c? (but not below 0c).... yes i like heat, i want heat, and today ive actually had a 25c! for the first time this year,.

of course winter lovers wouldn't be content, average temps in winter are about 6-8c, even 1c isn't good enough for snow really, ideally for sustained snow it needs to be 0c or below, who cares' if it's 23c instead of 30c in summer that's still warm enough, we still have about 2 months left to see a heatwave, if it was jan 12th now we'd have about five weeks left to see a brutal cold spell esp the south, and before you say it gets dark earlier in September you've still got all bloody day to see sunshine and heat, evenings aren't mean't to be 25-30c, i don't complain that it's never -5c during the day in december as that temp usually only happens at night, i'd be happy with -1-2c 

even if the rest of summer was a total washout it wouldn't even come close to the dire winter of 2013/14 from a coldies point of view as we've already had some warm sunny days, i hardly saw a ground frost last winter

im not interested in heat from about the third week in august onwards... my sig explains why, i want the full banquet, not half of it.

well it makes a change.... the last 8 summers have been poor apart from last year whilst coldies have had loads of record breaking cold spells and snow every winter until last.

Often had to do hard physical work in temps of 30 c,yes it's uncomfortable but a dam sight better than 8c and rain!!!....

absolutely agree! give me sweat n grime anyday over rain/waterproofs/clutter, struggling.

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 2

My only gripe with the models at the moment and the weather since late June is that the best conditions never seem to be at the weekends. Once again, it looks like the breakdown of this upcoming heatwave will happen on Friday night into Saturday ( that is of course if the heatwave materialises and/or the breakdown does happen!)

Last week that was not the case, with some very good weather here on both Saturday and Sunday.

Today though you have a point, with a damp squib, but damp as opposed to wet. (Only talking about here, I know other lucky areas, have it better today).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

yes we have had some decent weather, certainly better then most of recent years (except last year), but we in the east mids missed out on the earlier sun/warmth as the high positioned itself close to our northwest... we had the usual days of grey murk off the north sea. i mean, would cold lovers be content with a winter of temps around 2c? (but not below 0c).... yes i like heat, i want heat, and today ive actually had a 25c! for the first time this year,

I'm a four-season lover, for what it's worth, and I would be unhappy with a winter consistently around 2C because it isn't really conductive to snowfall, unless it's freezing at night, and even if snow did fall, it would melt during the day and refreeze at night. In the summer, that isn't a problem - consistent highs of 23C are very pleasant. Yeah, I'd like some heat for interest, but as long as I can get outside and feel comfortable, I'm fine, and I can generally do more at 23C than 30C - the latter is more conductive to lounging around, the former is more conductive to being active.

Btw - for me, an average British summer is very pleasant and comfortable. An average British winter is rubbish. So yeah, I'd be content with an average British summer, but not an average British winter. An average British winter is mostly rain with a little bit of snow and very limited amounts of sun - not good. An average British summer, if you're in England anyway, is usually in the low 20sC with some sunshine - very nice IMO.

8C and rain vs 30C and sunny for exercise or hard work - both are unpleasant. I'd lean towards the former if it was dry, but I really dislike getting wet.

Edited by cheese

Posted

im exactly the opposite, its cold that i find uncomfortable. i love heat, im comfortable with heat, i like drinking and cooling down in the pool. plus the heat and humidity really bring out the scents of the summer scented flowers...the lilies, jasmine, buddlia. guess im heat tollerant more then some. i like outdoor living, but it has to be warm enough , im an outdoor person but i feel the cold, i hate wrapping up in cumbersome clothing to keep the cold out .

yes we have had some decent weather, certainly better then most of recent years (except last year), but we in the east mids missed out on the earlier sun/warmth as the high positioned itself close to our northwest... we had the usual days of grey murk off the north sea. i mean, would cold lovers be content with a winter of temps around 2c? (but not below 0c).... yes i like heat, i want heat, and today ive actually had a 25c! for the first time this year,.

im not interested in heat from about the third week in august onwards... my sig explains why, i want the full banquet, not half of it.

well it makes a change.... the last 8 summers have been poor apart from last year whilst coldies have had loads of record breaking cold spells and snow every winter until last.

absolutely agree! give me sweat n grime anyday over rain/waterproofs/clutter, struggling.

well seeing as you are moaning about the lack of hot weather in derby i could moan about the lack of snow in bedford only 2009 and 2010 were snowy and cold here, well i say cold and snowy but i had two or three days where it actually snowed, it was just cold and dry for a couple of weeks really, its like you seeing only two hot days with wall to wall sun and two weeks of hot humid cloudy days would you be happy with that? im not interested in snow in march as it usually melts and is pointless, i got nothing in march 2013, hot weather in september is not much different from hot weather in july, you can still sunbathe, have BBQs and go out and about in september, you can't bring wildlife, flowers and crops into the debate

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Not sure how anyone could complain at the lack of dry, warm and sunny weather this Summer full stop!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Last week that was not the case, with some very good weather here on both Saturday and Sunday.

Today though you have a point, with a damp squib, but damp as opposed to wet. (Only talking about here, I know other lucky areas, have it better today).

Ye exactly. It was alright here on Saturday and actually very nice on the Sunday. I meant more nationwide the fact that low pressure seems to turn up at weekends and high pressure during the week.

Posted

well seeing as you are moaning about the lack of hot weather in derby i could moan about the lack of snow in bedford only 2009 and 2010 were snowy and cold here, well i say cold and snowy but i had two or three days where it actually snowed, it was just cold and dry for a couple of weeks really, its like you seeing only two hot days with wall to wall sun and two weeks of hot humid cloudy days would you be happy with that? im not interested in snow in march as it usually melts and is pointless, i got nothing in march 2013, hot weather in september is not much different from hot weather in july, you can still sunbathe, have BBQs and go out and about in september, you can't bring wildlife, flowers and crops into the debate

well i bloody well have! :p

thats the very point.... thats WHY i want the heat now in july. my whole garden is planned out to be at its peak NOW . i cannot alter the flowering times of my scented plants, (ok lilies can be forced or held back, but not when they are in the soil!). summer isnt about heat/sun alone, its visual, audible, olfactual, sensual experience. i want to use my garden, to be outdoors in the warmth, to live eat/drink/relax amongst the  birdsong, to smell scents from flowers and to enjoy their colours, to feel warm air lapping on my skin...  THATS what summer is to me, the full banquet. i feel sorry for you that dont understand this.

after mid august, the flowers are over, the birds have gone (swifts) or shut up, the air is musty, leaves are ragged and browning, so i will not get the full summer experience, therefore late heat is as meaningless to me as snow in march is to you.

• Like 1

Posted

Not sure how anyone could complain at the lack of dry, warm and sunny weather this Summer full stop!

try.... not everybody has had a dry warm sunny summer (so far).

in june whilst you in the west were enjoying the high on your doorstep, that same high blighted eastern areas with noth sea cloud. dry? its mid july and all the lawns i mow around derby are lust and green. theres little sign of drought stress like id expect in a dry summer.

• Like 1

Posted

thats the very point.... thats WHY i want the heat now in july. my whole garden is planned out to be at its peak NOW . i cannot alter the flowering times of my scented plants, (ok lilies can be forced or held back, but not when they are in the soil!). summer isnt about heat/sun alone, its visual, audible, olfactual, sensual experience. i want to use my garden, to be outdoors in the warmth, to live eat/drink/relax amongst the  birdsong, to smell scents from flowers and to enjoy their colours, to feel warm air lapping on my skin...  THATS what summer is to me, the full banquet. i feel sorry for you that dont understand this.after mid august, the flowers are over, the birds have gone (swifts) or shut up, the air is musty, leaves are ragged and browning, so i will not get the full summer experience, therefore late heat is as meaningless to me as snow in march is to you.

I know exactly what you mean - it is why we ventured south for retirement.

There has been a slight malfunction of the plan this summer, the sun has not got the message it is required to complete the picture! :cc_confused:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been quite a warm summer but homogeneous in terms of temperature rather than made up of alternating hot, warm and average/cool spells, hence the impression of there being no "real" heat.  A month like February 2010 could be the winter equivalent- consistently cooler than average but never exceptionally so.  Of course it really depends on what you're after from summer.  I have found this a reasonable summer so far but it's not a summer that I am likely to remember very well in the coming years unless we get more noteworthy events in the coming month and a half.  

• Like 1

Posted

It's been quite a warm summer but homogeneous in terms of temperature rather than made up of alternating hot, warm and average/cool spells, hence the impression of there being no "real" heat.  A month like February 2010 could be the winter equivalent- consistently cooler than average but never exceptionally so.  Of course it really depends on what you're after from summer.  I have found this a reasonable summer so far but it's not a summer that I am likely to remember very well in the coming years unless we get more noteworthy events in the coming month and a half.  

i look at summer from two perspectives, 1 for heat, 2 for pleasant/usable.... now weve had alot of type 2, and i have really enjoyed that. but im greedy and want some heat please! lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

i look at summer from two perspectives, 1 for heat, 2 for pleasant/usable.... now weve had alot of type 2, and i have really enjoyed that. but im greedy and want some heat please! lol

Me too! Some proper heat and some decent 80s-90s style storms would be fantastic and top off what, has been a generally very pleasant, if a bit boring, summer here.

Posted

thats the very point.... thats WHY i want the heat now in july. my whole garden is planned out to be at its peak NOW . i cannot alter the flowering times of my scented plants, (ok lilies can be forced or held back, but not when they are in the soil!). summer isnt about heat/sun alone, its visual, audible, olfactual, sensual experience. i want to use my garden, to be outdoors in the warmth, to live eat/drink/relax amongst the  birdsong, to smell scents from flowers and to enjoy their colours, to feel warm air lapping on my skin...  THATS what summer is to me, the full banquet. i feel sorry for you that dont understand this.after mid august, the flowers are over, the birds have gone (swifts) or shut up, the air is musty, leaves are ragged and browning, so i will not get the full summer experience, therefore late heat is as meaningless to me as snow in march is to you.

Heat to come this week :)

However if you expect 28c plus year in year out in Derby you will have a lot of disappointing Summers.

Edited by TonyH
  • Like 1

Posted

the leaves are usually still green in september, flowers are still out and crops are harvesting, the only difference is it gets dark a couple of hours earlier than in june and july, i don't like snow in march because it usually melts, i couldn't careless that the daffs are out, the trees are blossoming and the days are longer, if snow stuck around for a few days i'd be happy, you can't have it all you have it a lot better than those people that prefer winter, i haven't seen a flake of snow since jan 2013, imagine if you didn't see a pleasant sunny day for 18 months?

• Like 1

Posted

Be careful what you wish for the 2012 storms delivered this to my back garden along with 1000s of others causing millions of £s worth of damage to cars and roofs etc. Was exciting though lol

post-6740-0-55078800-1405268654_thumb.jp

• Like 1