Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland & The Far North Of England Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Currently 22.9c, sunny. Should be on track for a peak in the range of 24.5/25.5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Few wispy cirrus but pretty much uninterrupted blue skies all day, little wind at a bit over 23'C - lovely

Posted

Just hit 26c. Feeling pretty warm out there. Not humid though so it's not sweltering. Should make for a lovely evening

Posted

Watching the models for heat coming from the south is the same as watching for cold from the north or east in winter time. You think it's coming and then no...it bounces off the big shield and goes away. It would be great if for just a few days each year we could get the +20ºC 850 temps over the whole of the country, plus the same in winter for the -20ºC 850 temps. Only three days at a time, just to remind us that it's not much fun after all.

In order to get that we'd need sustained high pressure with warm uppers over us. Like 1976 etc. Ground and sea warm above normal and this would get it 35c plus. I'd like it for a couple days but it would be a real hassle after a while. Evenings would be the best bit.I'd like -20 more personally. -10 maxes and -20 mins with frequent snowWe'd struggle to cope on both counts as a nation. Tarmac would melt in the case of the former and roads would be gridlocked in the latter Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

25C now! A little humid too but not too sweaty, If only it would stay.

Posted

In order to get that we'd need sustained high pressure with warm uppers over us. Like 1976 etc. Ground and sea warm above normal and this would get it 35c plus. I'd like it for a couple days but it would be a real hassle after a while. Evenings would be the best bit.I'd like -20 more personally. -10 maxes and -20 mins with frequent snowWe'd struggle to cope on both counts as a nation. Tarmac would melt in the case of the former and roads would be gridlocked in the latter

It would need to be absolutely exceptional to get above 35'C anywhere in Scotland - that is serious heat if combined with humidity. 

-20'C in Scotland isn't particularly uncommon however and happens during bad cold snaps. 

Edit: Just to keep it topical, maxed out at 23.4'C today, tomorrow looking even better!

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Looks like Glasgow Bishopton had Scotland's official top temperature today at 25c.

Also some notable readings in north and west Norway today with temps up to 33c. Amazing what some warm uppers and a foehn will deliver!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/cold in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Lovely day in East Lothian, and I can see the Cirrus out east in the North Sea

Yesterday has to have been the best day of summer here in Lochgelly, and i saw the cirrus too trying to make in roads. Lots of low cloud and haar this morning.

Posted

Truly lovely morning here, brilliant blue skies, a light SWrly wind and temperature's already at 19'C, going to be a great day out there!

May the sun shine warmly on this, er, interesting gent's face today in Inverness after his passionate display in a particularly lovely Highland lilt: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drcwc6xg67k

Edited by NorthernRab
  • Like 2

Posted

Haha, I saw that. I was laughing, an interesting character I'm sure!!!

Great start to the morning here, nice and warm

Posted

I know, shocking! I had to momentarily leave the room for shame and embarrassment on his behalf. 

Over 23'C here now

• Like 2

Posted

At least he was showing passion (something the 'no' campaign lack) however, to say I wasn't heavily cringing would be a lie!!!

Just short of 22c, really pleasant ATM but I'm sure like yesterday by 4 temperatures will be >25c and despite relatively low humidity it will feel rather hot

Posted

A very pleasant 19c in St Andrews under sunny skies with a light sea breeze.

Inverness and Aviemore leading the way today with 24c @ 1pm.

Posted

Just hit 26'C, hottest day of the year!

Posted

not hit 26c here yet only 22.3c

Quite a variation between us and even from Dalcross, 25'C there. You on the coast? 

Posted

24.5c and quickly rising. We're trying desperately to catch you Rab but I doubt we will!

Posted

26.6c lovely warm sunshine today

Posted

Reached 27.9'C here today, hottest of the year - temp on its way down now as cloud builds in from the west, lovely evening on its way though!

Posted

Pretty warm NR, reached 26.8c here and temp is now stagnating. Still total sunshine here.

I notice you said in another thread you only reached 27.1c last year. That surprises me, last July was far warmer here delivering a smidgen of 30c on 3 occasions.

Enjoy it while it lasts! As tomorrow looks like it will bring us back down to earth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Another brief interruption to the annual estivation to report a third day of sunshine and 'scorchio!' here today.Topped out at 25.3C late afternoon. Summer is quietly delivering the goods this year.

Posted

Pretty warm NR, reached 26.8c here and temp is now stagnating. Still total sunshine here.I notice you said in another thread you only reached 27.1c last year. That surprises me, last July was far warmer here delivering a smidgen of 30c on 3 occasions.Enjoy it while it lasts! As tomorrow looks like it will bring us back down to earth

My bad, it was 28.1'C last year, not 27.1'C! In saying that, though last July was very warm and almost all days delivered 21'C or above, there were few scorchers and most saw temps of around 23 / 24 / 25'C. Though a few days saw 27'C, only one saw anything above 28'C. Of course, somewhere else in the city might've been closer to the 29'C mark, but no 30'C days to my knowledge. The particular angle of any high is quite important and on the day of 28'C, sustained windspeeds were 14mph with gusts of 26mph winds which would've really held back the temps. 

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

Morning all. Sunny start again in the East Neuk. 19c.

Reached 24.2c at Leuchars yesterday making it the second warmest day of the year after the 25.6c reached on June 18th.