Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 14th May 2014 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

do you mind , iam from gypsy stock ! LOL !!!!!.....

LOL it's true though, I live opposite a family of them, known their family for years (get on well too) seagulls appear in their front garden every evening. :DThat aside, the sunshine has vanished, clouds have bubbled up, some dark-ish. That was definitely not supposed to happen!post-15177-0-04170200-1400327630_thumb.j Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

LOL it's true though, I live opposite a family of them, known their family for years (get on well too) seagulls appear in their front garden every evening. :D

That aside, the sunshine has vanished, clouds have bubbled up, some warm-up. That was definitely not supposed to happen!

Posted ImageIMG_20140517_124023_1.jpg

I do agree , some aren't the tidiest of people , some of my cousins are still on the road and are quite messy !!!....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Still nothing but thick cloud here and temps nowhere near the 24C forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

I do agree , some aren't the tidiest of people , some of my cousins are still on the road and are quite messy !!!....

Its a shame, if they moved on without much of a trace of them being there then it wouldn't annoy me in the slightest. I don't think others should be responsible for their own mess.

Posted

we got very small isolated clouds but they explode very fast but some disapate there is vortex in them too.   Very weird too see them expand at that pace.  

Seagulls funny to say that last storm here they scarpered 1 hour before it.   They are scavengers can be vicious, dont go near I have been knocked out by one many moons ago.  Food from fishing industry lesser so likely expanding to find food they seem to like tall buildings as I assume its like a rocky cliffs they love, the drafts they create in the air probably helps them glide.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

22.6c here 

Posted Image

Taken with -2 exposure

Edited by Essex Easterly.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Does hearing seagulls when you don't live by the coast mean anything?I very rarely hear seagulls around here, but they are clearly here this afternoon.

It means a Severe MCS is coming next year, or that seagulls can fly inland.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'll update my "thunderstorm trigger" guide to include seagulls this afternoon  :wink:

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 8

Looks like things will start kicking off Sunday evening/night, then continuing in pulses through much of next week, will be an interesting week I think. Not entirely convinced on thunderiness but I'm sure there will be some thunderstorms knocking about

NMM is keen on developing showers/storms on Sunday afternoon evening (especially around N England) but ECM waits until Monday morning

Sunday 6pm NMM Posted ImagePosted Image

Monday afternoon, yum!

Posted Image  Posted Image

ECM sends a whole barrage of possibly, hopefully thundery rain at us through the week

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

This is what BBC weathe was showing for Leeds..

Posted Image

It still shows thunderstorms on Tuesday though.

Posted

Little disappointed, under reasonable cape but the thick cloud. Is preventing surface heating.

To make matters worse, the temperature has dipped - and it's now really humid and groggy :(

Monday is looking exceptional :good::):clap: widespread risk of Thunderstorm. Only upgrades please :p

• Like 2

Posted

Little disappointed, under reasonable cape but the thick cloud. Is preventing surface heating.To make matters worse, the temperature has dipped - and it's now really humid and groggy :(Monday is looking exceptional :good::):clap: widespread risk of Thunderstorm. Only upgrades please :p

Even with surface heating you'd be very fortunate to get anything today. Only a very slight chance. The main course begins on Monday...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Even with surface heating you'd be very fortunate to get anything today. Only a very slight chance. The main course begins on Monday...

totally agree Nick, a few peeps are getting to involved with CAPE & LI charts....today there isn't much of a trigger, the air has little moisture at the moment so little in the way of fuel, we're sat under high pressure, keeping a pretty strong lid on the atmosphere, and there's very little in the way of forcing, just some localized low level convergence.......For today, given these parameters, for a good chunk of England, I'd go for an outside chance of a rogue downpour over say Dartmoor, Exmoor, the Mendips and the Chilterns. These lay near modelled areas of local convergence and the high ground might aid in a little forcing

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted

totally agree Nick, a few peeps are getting to involved with CAPE & LI charts....today there isn't much of a trigger, the air has little moisture at the moment so little in the way of fuel, we're sat under high pressure, keeping a pretty strong lid on the atmosphere, and there's very little in the way of forcing, just some localized low level convergence.......For today, given these parameters, for a good chunk of England, I'd go for an outside chance of a rogue downpour over say Dartmoor, Exmoor, the Mendips and the Chilterns. These lay near modelled areas of local convergence and the high ground might aid in a little forcing

I'd add East Anglia to the "outside chance" regions for today, quite a marked convergence zone there too:

Posted Image4

Certainly more favourable CAPE/LI around those parts too:

Posted Image

But, as you say, moisture content is quite modest today:

post-7600-0-98828500-1400334329_thumb.pn

Basically, today is a "bonus" day if you manage to get anything. In the meantime, you should all enjoy the sunshine! Unless, like me, you're revising. If so, you have my sympathy :(

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Certainly no clouds here, wonderful day! Temperature still rising too. Cannot wait until the convection this week kicks off!

post-17277-0-58536100-1400334803_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Could someone please explain why if there is little moisture in the air today why it is completely cloudy here?

Posted

Could someone please explain why if there is little moisture in the air today why it is completely cloudy here?

There is moisture, just probably not sufficient for showers/storms. Plus we are under high pressure, which will inhibit vertical growth of any clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

There is moisture, just probably not sufficient for showers/storms. Plus we are under high pressure, which will inhibit vertical growth of any clouds.

Is there some sort of interaction with the North Sea or something because it just seems to the be the southeast under this cloud (though I suppose that makes a nice change for everyone else).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

What are the chances of elevated storms next week?

• Like 1