Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The changing daylight hours thread

Boydie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

today is the day we finally turn the corner..sunrise starts getting earlier from now onwards ..catching up to the latest sunset which happened on Dec 13th..so now gaining light mornings and evenings :snowman-emoji:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

today is the day we finally turn the corner..sunrise starts getting earlier from now onwards ..catching up to the latest sunset which happened on Dec 13th..so now gaining light mornings and evenings :snowman-emoji:

Evenings start to get noticeably lighter by the of January.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: sunny and 20-25C. Winter: crisp and sunny or snowy

I'm noticing the slight increase in light levels at 4pm.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Catherine91 said:

On clear afternoons, yes we begin to notice light level increase. However, today was as gloomy and dark as they come, by mid-month even on such days increase in light levels become more notable. The weekend will bring a marked change and we should lose the dark depths of winter light in the late afternoons at least. It has felt very dark past few weeks given how wet and dull it has been, a clear spell with sunshine will be welcomed by many I expect. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Catherine91 said:

I thought it was just me! But I did when I was walking back from the shop! There was blue on the horizon 

Posted

Only 36 days until the first 5pm sunset. The bright side is im noticing it getting a bit lighter at 4pm compared to the solistice

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Not long got back from a walk I often do around this time and for the first time in a few weeks it was still more or less full daylight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another dark gloomy day, one more likely tomorrow, but then thankfully we should shrug off the early descents into dusk and clear mornings will make them less dark. Last couple of days have been a struggle light wise. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

The speed at which we gain daylight does start to ramp up pretty quickly from this point. Where I am we go from gaining 90 seconds per day now to gaining 2+ minutes per day just within the next 5 days.

Hopefully we do get some sunnier days with the high pressure to come.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
4 hours ago, ManiaMuse said:

The speed at which we gain daylight does start to ramp up pretty quickly from this point. Where I am we go from gaining 90 seconds per day now to gaining 2+ minutes per day just within the next 5 days.

Hopefully we do get some sunnier days with the high pressure to come.

i think the maximum gain and loss here is around the equinox of March and Sept when we gain or lose 6 minutes daily for about 3 weeks.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i think the maximum gain and loss here is around the equinox of March and Sept when we gain or lose 6 minutes daily for about 3 weeks.

Aye, CM, that'll be when the dy/dx of the sine wave will be at its maximum/minumum. 👍

Posted
9 minutes ago, Macc2023 said:

What is the best websites to use to get Sunset and Sunrise times to the second if possible?

WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Welcome to the world's top site for time, time zones, and astronomy. Organize your life with free online info and tools you can rely on. No sign-up needed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

As the creeping tendrils of freezing mist and fog once more start to stalk the streets… ❄️🌫️❄️🌅❄️🌫️❄️

Evening everyone. 😊

The last glimmer of the suns disc slipped below the horizon at 15:55! Which is twenty two minutes later than it was back in mid December when it was setting at 15:33! Within the next few days we’ll once again be in the world of post 16:00 sunsets!

The peak of the darkness is now well and truly over… Until next December that is. 

BCEECFB6-77A0-4402-BBD1-2CE9DB1AA570.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Very slowly starting to notice the evenings getting lighter.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
17 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Very slowly starting to notice the evenings getting lighter.

Yes it was 4.45 here  yesterday before complete darkness after a beautiful cold sunny day ! Another week or so of this dry sunny weather and we should be over the worst ! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: sunny and 20-25C. Winter: crisp and sunny or snowy

Last couple of days have been sunny at sunset here which makes the difference even more noticeable. A great change from dull December!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Yup noticing afterglow lasting longer past 5pm. Daylength is increasing over 2 minutes per day from tomorrow. 2 weeks until sunrise is just before 8am, and about 4 weeks until sunset is after 5pm.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Sunny days at this time of year really highlight the changing length of the nights, already starting to notice things drawing out a little and that will really accelerate in the next few weeks.

Of course basically no change yet for the mornings. Got a fair few weeks before it will be light when waking up, though even that will start to make ground in the next few weeks.

• Like 3

Posted

Despite the winter solstice being 4 weeks ago, it is only now that I feel true winter breaks into full gear, lasting 4 weeks until mid Feb. The next 4 weeks are typically the coldest part of the year, or when we are more likely to see consistent snow.  

Welcome to bleak mid winter. There is also a winter state of mind associated with next 4 weeks, a winter hibernation paralysis, the lasting festive affect disappears and we look to start again. New Year should be mid Feb I feel.. the third week of Jan is the most grounding of the year. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Just now, damianslaw said:

Despite the winter solstice being 4 weeks ago, it is only now that I feel true winter breaks into full gear, lasting 4 weeks until mid Feb. The next 4 weeks are typically the coldest part of the year, or when we are more likely to see consistent snow.  

Welcome to bleak mid winter. There is also a winter state of mind associatee with next 4 weeks, a winter hibernation paralysis, the lasting festive affect disappears and we look to start again. New Year should be mid Feb I feel.. 

Quite close to the traditional Chinese celebrations which usually are late January to mid February.

I feel like I am slightly noticing a bit of extra light in the evenings now. Really looking forward to that extra boost of light come March!

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Quite close to the traditional Chinese celebrations which usually are late January to mid February.

I feel like I am slightly noticing a bit of extra light in the evenings now. Really looking forward to that extra boost of light come March!

Yes the chinese have it right! I am noticing increased light levels, but am in full winter psyche state of mind. This changes around mid Feb. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1