IGNORED

The Alps Snow Thread - Season 2014/2015

Posted

h850t850eu.png

That will be the end of the snow and temp issue then

BFTP

IF it validates!

Posted

I find the most often closest to what actually falls is this site, used by the Wengen Organising Committee

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-wengen/details/S067281/

It gives weather details for thevillage, Maennlichen, Lauberhorn and Lauterbrunne in the valley. One thing to note are wind gusts for the top. Along with predicted snowfall it may well cause major issues with both the Combined and the Downhill.

The link below shows how things are at the top and finish for anyone wanting to see 'live' or previous footage.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/?langId=2

The last picture is what is usually the open air ice rink (tennis courts in summer) turned into a jamboree area, marquees for paying gusts to eat and drink, open air stalls for the res, the presentation area etc. Hoping to see the slalom presentation Sunday afternoon if the travel goes as timed. 

For everyone going out this weekend to the Alps or elsewhere  good luck with your resort and good skiing, boarding or walking.

the link below will, hopefully, show the part of the course below the railway marked with red markers, it will on the day have the usual blue dye on it as well. Not being done yet as new snow will cover it all up

post-847-0-01118700-1421159775_thumb.png

also visible far right prior to the Lauterbrunnen valley is somewhere very close to the finish area, I think the area of the S-bend prior to the near vertical drop into the finish area.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I find the most often closest to what actually falls is this site, used by the Wengen Organising Committee

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/en/europe/switzerland/weather-wengen/details/S067281/

It gives weather details for thevillage, Maennlichen, Lauberhorn and Lauterbrunne in the valley. One thing to note are wind gusts for the top. Along with predicted snowfall it may well cause major issues with both the Combined and the Downhill.

The link below shows how things are at the top and finish for anyone wanting to see 'live' or previous footage.

http://www.lauberhorn.ch/en/?langId=2

The last picture is what is usually the open air ice rink (tennis courts in summer) turned into a jamboree area, marquees for paying gusts to eat and drink, open air stalls for the res, the presentation area etc. Hoping to see the slalom presentation Sunday afternoon if the travel goes as timed. 

For everyone going out this weekend to the Alps or elsewhere  good luck with your resort and good skiing, boarding or walking.

the link below will, hopefully, show the part of the course below the railway marked with red markers, it will on the day have the usual blue dye on it as well. Not being done yet as new snow will cover it all up

attachicon.gifwengen downhillcourse.png

also visible far right prior to the Lauterbrunnen valley is somewhere very close to the finish area, I think the area of the S-bend prior to the near vertical drop into the finish area.

Very interesting John, but I wonder how the whole of the Alps will fare? Personally I have been a bit concerned about Italy this winter, especially the southern part of the Alps. However, my confidence is rising that right on cue, only about 10 days before I fly out there something is brewing. Don't want to tempt fate though! However, there are encouraging signs showing in the models and it's hard not to get excited!

Posted

Very interesting John, but I wonder how the whole of the Alps will fare? Personally I have been a bit concerned about Italy this winter, especially the southern part of the Alps. However, my confidence is rising that right on cue, only about 10 days before I fly out there something is brewing. Don't want to tempt fate though! However, there are encouraging signs showing in the models and it's hard not to get excited!

hope you get lucky, it does look more promising for cold and snow to lower levels over most of the Alps I think.

for anyone interested the translation, a bit odd in places, of how things stand for the Lauberhorn is below

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&from=&to=en&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.skionline.ch%2findex.php%3fsection%3dnews%26cmd%3ddetails%26newsid%3d43616%26teaserId%3d

and the picture today of the 'jump' prior to the sharp - nope I meant right turn!, turn above the railway, sorry to keep boring you folks!

NOT a gradual slope as it seems to show, a bit steeper than 1 in 3 and even more as you come over the edge!

post-847-0-33218400-1421166874_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

^ I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking your posts (above) are far from boring John! Rather the opposite in fact, with some great insight into the forthcoming races at Wengen. And thanks also for some great links.

Have a very enjoyable holiday next week. Hopefully you'll be able to post a couple of on-the-ground updates during your stay!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

^ I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking your posts (above) are far from boring John! Rather the opposite in fact, with some great insight into the forthcoming races at Wengen. And thanks also for some great links.

Have a very enjoyable holiday next week. Hopefully you'll be able to post a couple of on-the-ground updates during your stay!

Malcolm, spoke to John earlier. The old man says he going to do the Lauberhorn run, at his own pace of course ! Looking good for the Alps, especially from next weekend onwards . Been great today on The Katschberg, sunshine and gentle ski-ing with an old buddie out from blighty. Beer time now.

C

• Like 1

Posted

thanks that is  very kind I will try but not sure I have mastered my Ipad but will save some stills to put up on here when I get back

Paul stop being b cheeky you young kid, yes timings are about 10x what the racers do and that is not including a coffee stop!

• Like 2

Posted

Already the training run for Wednesday is cancelled! details of programme, obviously subject to further changes is below

http://lauberhorn.ch/en/Rennen/Programm/Progam

Posted

This morning's GFS output looks worrying for this weekends races at Wengen. If correct, snow (looking heavy) sets in on Friday evening and it's still snowing on Saturday evening.  

Greats news for the Alps in general, just a shame about the timing for the races. And we may also be looking at more travel disruption with the snow coinciding with change-over day. Practice putting your chains on if you're going by car! 

850 hPa midnight Friday post-20040-0-30997600-1421223467_thumb.p  Precipitation post-20040-0-28885600-1421223480_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

IF it validates!

Indeed John but its looking good for snow.  As BW says no way are your posts boring thanks for sharing the stuff.  Have a fab holiday.....and what you're mastering an Ipad...there's hope for us all!!! :D   Look forward to seing your pics.  

Good luck also to everyone else going skiing, the Alpine fortunes are changing and some good snowdepths are looking likely

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

An indication of what the folk responsible for things at the top expect for overnight and tomorrow!

What are they, mobile toilets laid down, earlier this afternoon they were upright!

http://panocam.skiline.cc/lauberhorn

I suspect they will run two races, unless the weather forecasts turn out to be totally wrong.

I would think scrub the combined and change the order for the downhill and slalom, that has been done before.

Not my cup of tea to arrive as the downhill finishes, as Wengen for 6-8 hours looks more like a cross between Kings Cross station and the beer swiliing UK townns on a Saturday night!

• Like 1

Posted
Posted

Are you on the Wengen Organising Committee John? That was a good call from you yesterday and it looks like the FIS have acted on your advice!! :wink:

This mornings model output still suggesting a very difficult weekend ahead for getting through the schedule. The 'bad' news is that heavy snow overnight Friday and into Saturday morning looks pretty certain now.

Snowforecast.com suggesting 29cm by Sat lunchtime (and Meteocentrale.ch 12 l/m2)  post-20040-0-39610400-1421309521_thumb.j

We're in range of the Euro4 model now, so a few charts:

GFS 19.00 Fri post-20040-0-40127200-1421309296_thumb.p Euro4 18.00 Fri post-20040-0-95928000-1421309341_thumb.g

GFS 01.00 Sat post-20040-0-66166600-1421309423_thumb.p Euro4 00.00 Sat post-20040-0-62063300-1421309459_thumb.g

The snow dies out later Saturday so moving the Men's Downhill 'jewel in the crown' race to Sunday afternoon gives the organisers a fighting chance of getting the course ready.

It will be a winter wonderland when you arrive on Sunday, and with very cold temps all week you should have a fantastic week. We're all very jealous!

• Like 1

Posted

Are you on the Wengen Organising Committee John? That was a good call from you yesterday and it looks like the FIS have acted on your advice!! :wink:

This mornings model output still suggesting a very difficult weekend ahead for getting through the schedule. The 'bad' news is that heavy snow overnight Friday and into Saturday morning looks pretty certain now.

Snowforecast.com suggesting 29cm by Sat lunchtime (and Meteocentrale.ch 12 l/m2)  attachicon.gifSnowforecast.com chart 15Jan15.jpg

We're in range of the Euro4 model now, so a few charts:

GFS 19.00 Fri attachicon.gifGFS Precip 19.00 16Jan15.png Euro4 18.00 Fri attachicon.gifEuro4 18.00 16Jan15.gif

GFS 01.00 Sat attachicon.gifGFS Precip 01.00 17Jan15.png Euro4 00.00 Sat attachicon.gifEuro4 00.00 17Jan15.gif

The snow dies out later Saturday so moving the Men's Downhill 'jewel in the crown' race to Sunday afternoon gives the organisers a fighting chance of getting the course ready.

It will be a winter wonderland when you arrive on Sunday, and with very cold temps all week you should have a fantastic week. We're all very jealous!

Looking at the snow reports/forecasts it is suggesting the chance of continued snow next week, unless I'm mistaken? Which can only be a good thing for when I depart for Italy on the 24th! I'm being purely selfish here! Looks like John is going to have great conditions.

Edited by stuboy

Posted

i did used to know the Chairman of the Wengen committee, he owns the main sports shop in Wengen but that would be my only claim to fame. He was the one who told me to use the forecast I post links to on here, they seem to use it as much as the official Swiss forecast, or they used to.

It must be a nightmare for both the FIS and Wengen. 20-30,000 folk turn up for the downhill and getting them up the hill either via Grindelwald of Wengen is a huge logistic challenge so they have to make as early a decision as possible especially if they swop the slalom and downhill round.

An ex amample from the Wengen side is on a downhill day, the railway is single track apart from one passing place out of Lauterbrunnen; on a normal ski day 2 trains up and 2 down. After the downhill then TWELVE will come down with 4 going up, there is no more room on the passing area for more than 4, so once the 12 get down the send 8 up before any more can come down. Easier via Grindelwald but still single line in parts. When I get home I will give a link to the idea, partly to get the tourists in summer quickly to Kleinne Scheidegg for the final trip up to the JunfrauJoch but also to help with the Lauberhorn weekend, Jungfrau railways are trying to get Canton and local approval for a fast high capacity cable car from Grund(below Grindelwald) up to the Eiger station above Kleinne to help out.

I am not looking foward to the last bit of an otherwsielovely train journey on Sunday but by the following Friday all the extra accomodation, fencing and a 101 other things will have cleared away and the area becomes a skiers paradise on weekdays, 100's of Km of pistes mostly red and blue-perfect. Anywone reading this may think I rather like the area!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 2

Posted

John

Have you sat on a sun lounger and looked at the Eiger just at the location Clint eastwood did?  Does that hotel/guest house still exist?

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

No I don't sit in a sun lounger=skin cancer issues but many folk do, do you mean the Maennlichen restaurant hotel on Maennlichen mountain or Kleinne Scheideegg?-both spelt wron I imagine!

Posted

No I don't sit in a sun lounger=skin cancer issues but many folk do, do you mean the Maennlichen restaurant hotel on Maennlichen mountain or Kleinne Scheideegg?-both spelt wron I imagine!

Oh sorry John didn't mean to be inconsiderate, more the 'been there' factor re Hollywood great being there on location.  Its Kleine Scheidegg Hotel Bellevue des Alpes. 

BFTP

Posted

Oh sorry John didn't mean to be inconsiderate, more the 'been there' factor re Hollywood great being there on location.  Its Kleine Scheidegg Hotel Bellevue des Alpes. 

BFTP

yep still there, it is one hotel I have never been in, will try to correct that this year. no issue with your post mate.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

The Austrian ZAMG (Central Institute for Meteorology and Geodynamics) has today updated their long range forecast for the rest of Jan thru to March (translated using Google with tweaks from me).

They think the imminent cold spell will be "temporary", but I’m assuming they also think any breakdown to milder is short lived as they believe the "weather changes significantly" in February with a 35% chance of it being colder than average.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Der-richtige-Winter-kommt-erst-im-Februar/172585350

Extract:

The seasonal forecast for the period from January to March 2015 indicates a cold spell in February. In January, the weather situation will change. Until mid-month still dominate westerly weather patterns, which provide mild temperatures as at present. In the next few days though temporarily wintry weather expected....

In February, the weather changes significantly. "For the first time in months, the probability for above-average temperatures falls to 25%" say the weather experts from ZAMG. Instead of westerly weather conditions, to us there will be icy north wind blowing around the ears, even in Southeast weather conditions (cold from the continent) freezes the east of Austria.

The seasonal forecast for February indicates cold, at least for the most part.

Too cold: 35% probability

Normal: 35% probability

Too warm: 25% probability

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Thats good news for the Alps and hopefully us to.

Always believed that once you get a good snow base and cold temps across Europe, you have a much higher chance of cold here.

Esp the near continent, even in France, you get a southerly that then gets turned more south east.

THe Alps really do need a good weeks dumping.

Posted

Looking cold and snowy across the Alps this coming week.

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4865-alps-weather-forecast-16-january-2015/

Great update Julian, thank you. A really comprehensive analysis of the coming week. Good to see that from Tues onwards the freezing level doesn't rise above 600m. And with the decent levels of snowfall predicted, coupled with very low overnight low temps, resorts should finally be able to get their pistes into good shape, importantly down to resort level.

May I also add that your statement a couple of weeks ago that the post-Christmas snowfall would "make the season" looked a very good call at the time, so no need to apologise at all. Who could have predicted that such ridiculously warm air would repeatedly flood into NW Europe after that event, with (for example) Austria beating it's all-time record high temp for January last week?

My turn for a prediction then. Well I'm optimistic that the rest of the season will be pretty good, right to the end!!

• Like 1