Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow Thread - Season 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Early start on Saturday. Big day out with the locals. Kitzbuhel downhill, a great spectacle I first saw in 1976. Plenty of beer and partying going on and the race of course !

• Like 2

Posted

Enjoy lads!!!

BFTP

Yep and the taxis driver is a women !
  • Like 2

Posted

Hmmmm.....I'm heading to Zermatt next Weds but I'm more interested in hiking than skiing. Weather forecasts seem to be predicting a lot of cloud cover and some snow so I don't know how that will affect our chances of hiking at higher levels. Anybody want to take a punt on walking conditions end of next week/next weekend?

Posted

Early start on Saturday. Big day out with the locals. Kitzbuhel downhill, a great spectacle I first saw in 1976. Plenty of beer and partying going on and the race of course !

yep hoping to watch that Paul on one of the TV sets in a mountain restaurant great atmosphere especially if the Swiss are doing well!

Posted

yep hoping to watch that Paul on one of the TV sets in a mountain restaurant great atmosphere especially if the Swiss are doing well!

Hi John, yes its the biggest sporting festival in Austria. I remember first watching the Hahnenkamm downhill back in 1976, you could literary stand at the bottom of the course and watch the racers fly over the final jump and whizz past you over you at head height. The local lad to our parts, Franz Klammer won that race. Today its all about corporate tickets, packed stands , stalls , lots of beer and a huge international following in the town. Great fun still. Enjoy the race and the rest of your vacation in the wonderful settings of Wengen.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I've been to Arrabba, Cordara, Kitzbuhel, Soll, Saalbach and Hinterglemm, Les deux Alpes, St Anton [started late]...St Anton my least fav...lovely but least fav.  Sauze D'Oulx next.  Intend to do some more French and Switzerland next few years...I retire in 2 years and so time will become more free :)

BFTP

Posted

I've been to Arrabba, Cordara, Kitzbuhel, Soll, Saalbach and Hinterglemm, Les deux Alpes, St Anton [started late]...St Anton my least fav...lovely but least fav.  Sauze D'Oulx next.  Intend to do some more French and Switzerland next few years...I retire in 2 years and so time will become more free :)

BFTP

Sauze is great. Went there a few years ago and heard rumours it didn't get much snow. As we headed up there on the coach people were digging their cars out! So this blew that rumour out the water! Sauze itself isn't the biggest place, and the après can be a little quiet. However, personally I really enjoyed the town and skiing area (I think it's called the Milky Way - if memory serves correctly), there was loads of snow and the slopes were quiet and the scenery was fantastic. We even managed to head into Turin and watch Juve play AC Milan (with David Beckham and co), so it was a memorable trip.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

• Like 1

Posted

BFTP

Funny enough , I found St Anton a bit over powering. However, the runs on the other side of the Valluga into the villages of Lech, St Christopher and Zurs are a delight and much calmer with long gliding runs.

C

• Like 1

Posted

The best runs I have been on are in Canada, Whistler Mountain ( Peak to Peak pistes ) and Lake Louise ( Back runs ). However good these resorts are , they are far off the mark in beating most European resorts in ambience and rustic charm of the mountain huts of Austria and Switzerland.

C

Posted

Sauze is great. Went there a few years ago and heard rumours it didn't get much snow. As we headed up there on the coach people were digging their cars out! So this blew that rumour out the water! Sauze itself isn't the biggest place, and the après can be a little quiet. However, personally I really enjoyed the town and skiing area (I think it's called the Milky Way - if memory serves correctly), there was loads of snow and the slopes were quiet and the scenery was fantastic. We even managed to head into Turin and watch Juve play AC Milan (with David Beckham and co), so it was a memorable trip.

Enjoy it, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Hey guys...After a bit of help with a choice of resort for end of month. i have been to Sauze, Morzine, Mayrhofen and Pas de la casa.

I loved Mayrhofen especially for the apres ski and the vast range of tree run type skiing. Can anyone recommend any other resorts to try?? Especially with apres ski in mind and excellent skiing on offer? Was thinking Chamonix?? Any help guys?

Cheers

Edited by WINTRY WALES

Latest Snow Conditions update (http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full)

Ski Blog to be published this evening , circa 7pm

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 22 JANUARY 2015

INTRODUCTION Conditions have been much improved across the Alps this week thanks to widespread snowfall over the weekend. Some places have seen further snowfall, with the focus being on northern Italy, southern Switzerland and western France. The best conditions are on piste as the base still needs building up off piste, but some good powder stashes have been reported from across the Alps. More snow is forecast over the weekend and the long term forecasts are looking extremely favourable for the end of next week.

AUSTRIA has remained much the same over the past few days, the most recent substantial snow fall was last weekend and this week has been a mixture of sunshine and cloud. Thursday 22nd January was more or less the same with sunshine and scattered cloud seen in the majority of our featured resorts. More central Austrian resorts, particularly in the Zillertal Valley saw cloudier skies St Anton im Arlberg (25/125cm) are reporting excellent conditions particularly on the Valluga ski area. General piste conditions are very good after recent snow fall and cold climates, ensuring the pistes are firm and well intact. On Thursday almost all of their lifts were running, a total of 94 lifts were in operation, visibility was changeable due to the mixture of cloudy and sunny skies but generally a good days skiing was enjoyed in St Anton. A cloudy weekend looms as the vast majority of our featured resorts are expected to be covered in thick cloud. It will be quite cold and there is a chance of fresh snow.

FRANCE caught some good snowfall over the weekend and some places, especially in the west and the south, have continued to pick up more in the past few days. As a result conditions are generally good across the board, with icy and bare spots now limited and some powder stashes to be found off piste. Some of the resorts that have struggled the most so far this season have seen some of the best falls of snow in the past week. The conditions at Foux d'Allos (45/155cm) and Chamrousse (40/70cm) have been vastly improved this week, but more snow is still needed to open the final few lifts. Conditions in the high resorts of the Haute-Savoie continue to be good. Ski Club Ambassadors at Meribel (25/95cm), Val Thorens (90/130cm) and Courchevel (51/86cm) in the Three Valleys have all reported some great conditions this week across the huge ski area Cauterets (100/170cm) was reporting 10cm of fresh snow on Thursday 22nd January, adding to the already impressive base depth in the resort. 12 of the resorts 16 lifts were turning and some great powder has been reported across the mountain. Some light snow is expected this weekend across the French Alps and also the Pyrenees, although totals are unlikely to top 10cm for most. Cold temperatures (-10C at mid-mountain), so whatever snow does fall will be very light and should make for some excellent skiing.

Switzerland Conditions are much improved across Switzerland following last weekend's snowfall and the efforts of pisteurs to produce good slopes. Some places have caught some more snow during the week, further adding to the good snow conditions. It is worth mentioning that snow conditions remain below average, but the Swiss Alps are only one big dump away from being fully back on track. Some of the best skiing this week has been in the south of Switzerland. St Moritz (35/145cm) saw loads of new snow last weekend and has been running every lift all week, with some excellent powder conditions reported off piste. The Ski Club Leader in Zermatt (12/180cm) has been reporting some fantastic conditions throughout the week, with some great powder on offer across the whole ski area. Saas fee (35/240cm) picked up 10cm of fresh snow on the morning of Thursday 22nd January, and whilst visibility is poor, the snow conditions are very good across the mountain. All 42 lifts have been turning at Arosa/Lenzerheide (50/80cm) this week, with some very good piste conditions in both valleys. Light snow is expected over the weekend, but some places such as the Jungfrau Region could pick up 20cm. The snow is predicted to continue through into next week.

ITALY Overall conditions continue to impress in Italy after a slow start to the season, but it is certainly making up for lost time now with lots of snow falling in recent days and Thursday 22nd January was no exception. The snow fall on Thursday was lighter but that added to yesterday's snowfall has provided some excellent riding conditions Alagna (40/240cm) reported around 20cm in the town and an impressive 40cm at high altitude on Wednesday 21st January. It continued to snow lightly on Thursday, which has ensured powdery conditions continue to be seen. The pistes have been freshened up and packed down but Thursday's snow provided another fluffy layer on top. Three of the five lifts were spinning as some areas are closed due to recent snowfall but will be opened when assessed for safety. A cold and cloudy weekend beckons with many resorts expecting yet more fresh snow  it is a great time to ski in Italy at the moment.

GERMANY a mixture of sunny spells and some clouds greeted the German ski resorts on the morning of Thursday 22nd January. Conditions have changed little during the week, but with the snow from the weekend having bedded down further, piste conditions have become more hard packed. Some great skiing is currently on offer on the Zugspitze Glacier above Garmisch (15/250cm) and Obertsdorf (20/100cm) has a good upper base depth. A snowy weekend is forecast and the long-term prospects are looking good for some more heavy snow during next week.

BULGARIA The past week has been a mostly sunny one across Bulgaria and with temperatures nudging above freezing at times; pistes have become hard packed. Good skiing is still available, especially on the upper slopes at Bansko (30/110cm) and Borovets (85/95cm) where the deepest base depths are in place. Some light snow is forecast over the weekend, although this may fall as a sleety mix on the lower slopes.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK Some more snow is in the forecast for the Alps this weekend, although the falls are likely to be mostly light in nature. Northern Switzerland and Austria can expect the heaviest snow, with up to 20cm forecast on Saturday. Elsewhere smaller amounts are predicted, but what falls will do so in cold air (below -5C at mid-mountain) so expect some lovely soft snow conditions. Visibility may be affected so make sure you've got some low-light lenses if you're heading out to the Alps. There is the potential for a major snowfall event during the second half of next week, according to the latest forecast models. On current predictions, over a metre of snow is forecast for most of the Alps, but please bear in mind that the models can change as Alpine forecasting is notoriously complex. Keep an eye on the situation over the weekend to get the very latest information as the forecast evolves. Light snow is also predicted for Bulgaria over the weekend, totalling around 10cm on current forecasts. Clouds should cover the skies for the majority of the weekend, but the best chance for brightness is on Saturday.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Latest Blog now out

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4869-alps-weather-forecast-23-january-2015/

Probably the most normal week for the Alps so far. Generally on the cold side, but never bitterly so at least by day, plenty of precipitation about mostly of snow, and almost exclusively of snow above 1500m, and largely of snow above 1000m and often much lower.

However looking a bit drier over Italy.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Latest Blog now out

https://forum.netweather.tv/blog/189/entry-4869-alps-weather-forecast-23-january-2015/

Probably the most normal week for the Alps so far. Generally on the cold side, but never bitterly so at least by day, plenty of precipitation about mostly of snow, and almost exclusively of snow above 1500m, and largely of snow above 1000m and often much lower.

However looking a bit drier over Italy.

Thanks Julian. As ever a great overview of the forthcoming week. One thing that's worrying me is the uncertainty about Thurs/Fri as Meteo France keep changing their temperature forecasts for Flaine. One minute sub-zero and snow and the next +3c and rain (depending on each model run no doubt)!! As your snow-forecast.com post above says, Thurs/Fri is one to watch as that period could bring VERY heavy snowfall for the Alps.

Tonight I'm enjoying an overnight stop half way down France (Dole) so able to use the wi-fi in the hotel. Good to see the thread buzzing and a few quick comments on some of the posts:

Carinthian – sounds like the Kitzbuhel downhill is Austria’s equivalent to a 6-Nations rugby international in Wales. Fantastic - enjoy!  

Stuboy – have a good one in Passo Tonale. Try and post some pics.

Andyarf – looks not too bad for hiking on Wed at Zermatt. -7c early on then -3c most of the day with some sun poking through. Swiss weather service forecast http://www.meteocentrale.ch/de/europa/schweiz/wetter-zermatt/details/M11-000915/#2015-01-28

Wintry Wales – really depends on your priorities. If you rate apres ski as the highest priority then you can’t beat Austria so maybe check out the Ski Club write-ups for each resort. However, bear in mind that many Austrian resorts (the town and bottom slopes) are only 600 – 800m ASL so any milder incursions might spoil pistes. France is fantastic if skiing is your priority and generally speaking has the most snow-sure resorts due to their height.

• Like 1

Posted

Good Morning,

A bit of low cloud on the Hannenkamn run. Do not know how this will affect todays big downhill race ? Maybe a shorter run again, hope not .post-3489-0-43113900-1422086143_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

WW

Soll in Austria although quite compact and small has great Apres ski and skiing is good over to Ellmau and Westendorf. 

Stuboy

Thanks for quick precis of Sauze, I'm really looking forward and yes it is part of the Milky Way so a huge ski area to explore.

I have a special affinity to Kitzbuhel from the day I watched Klammer when he had come back from injury issues to claim the race...boy ski Sunday back then with David Vine was special, its good now [Especially when Graham camcords his downhill run]  but so different back then.  Resort can get affected by less cold conditions, but next week or two looks amazing....

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

Glad to see things are starting to normalise in the Alps, plenty of snow for the snow starved areas too.  Next weekend is going to be interesting, I hope they do not get too much snow, just a really good top up and the roads to the resorts able to remain open would be ideal to get the season well and truely back on track.

I am at home in SW France and we have the potential for an ice day today, an incredibly rare thing, it is still -3 at lunchtime but thoroughly miserable with freezing rain and fog...

Cheers

FC

• Like 1

Posted

Just a bit of advice needed. Im flying out to geneva on sun the 1st of feb for a holiday at la clusza france, if these charts were to come off does any one think the airports could be closed. Gettiing worried a bit.

Thanks Julian. As ever a great overview of the forthcoming week. One thing that's worrying me is the uncertainty about Thurs/Fri as Meteo France keep changing their temperature forecasts for Flaine. One minute sub-zero and snow and the next +3c and rain (depending on each model run no doubt)!! As your snow-forecast.com post above says, Thurs/Fri is one to watch as that period could bring VERY heavy snowfall for the Alps.

Tonight I'm enjoying an overnight stop half way down France (Dole) so able to use the wi-fi in the hotel. Good to see the thread buzzing and a few quick comments on some of the posts:

Carinthian – sounds like the Kitzbuhel downhill is Austria’s equivalent to a 6-Nations rugby international in Wales. Fantastic - enjoy!  

Stuboy – have a good one in Passo Tonale. Try and post some pics.

Andyarf – looks not too bad for hiking on Wed at Zermatt. -7c early on then -3c most of the day with some sun poking through. Swiss weather service forecast http://www.meteocentrale.ch/de/europa/schweiz/wetter-zermatt/details/M11-000915/#2015-01-28

Wintry Wales – really depends on your priorities. If you rate apres ski as the highest priority then you can’t beat Austria so maybe check out the Ski Club write-ups for each resort. However, bear in mind that many Austrian resorts (the town and bottom slopes) are only 600 – 800m ASL so any milder incursions might spoil pistes. France is fantastic if skiing is your priority and generally speaking has the most snow-sure resorts due to their height.

Cheers for the nice words, the latest runs seem to have the snow fall for next Thursdays at 800m at times, but also down to 400-500m at times. so a bit more promising, although this can and will change run to run.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Good Morning,

A bit of low cloud on the Hannenkamn run. Do not know how this will affect todays big downhill race ? Maybe a shorter run again, hope not .attachicon.gif12.jpg

Sad about the race. Only could use the half course due to fog and snow. Nearly 100,000 people in Kitzbuhel today with big queues for the bars. Nice to be back to the calm. Think Bodie Miller could have won today but still played by a back injury. He should be back for Beever Creek next weekend.

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Arrived in Flaine at 2.00 p.m. this afternoon. It really is a special drive up to the resort. There's not many resorts that you drive up to 1850m before finally popping over the lip into the 'bowl' and then going down a couple of hundred metres into the resort. And the drive up was drop dead gorgeous too, with the trees hanging with snow and everything picturesque. Flaine has been developed quite a bit since I was here last in 2003, and it appears all for the better with lots more in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

An hour after arriving the forecast band of snow duly arrived and it has snowed from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. this evening. Only a few cm but still made it feel special for the first day. I'm still looking with interest at the end of the week. Meteo France are now back to saying snow for Thur, Fri and Sat with max temps around -1c. GFS this afternoon seems to be agreeing. I could be digging my way out of the resort! A few pics from today:

View from balcony post-20040-0-21267600-1422136286_thumb.j Piste post-20040-0-13117200-1422136331_thumb.j Tonight post-20040-0-40664100-1422136393_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted

Arrived in Flaine at 2.00 p.m. this afternoon. It really is a special drive up to the resort. There's not many resorts that you drive up to 1850m before finally popping over the lip into the 'bowl' and then going down a couple of hundred metres into the resort. And the drive up was drop dead gorgeous too, with the trees hanging with snow and everything picturesque. Flaine has been developed quite a bit since I was here last in 2003, and it appears all for the better with lots more in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

An hour after arriving the forecast band of snow duly arrived and it has snowed from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. this evening. Only a few cm but still made it feel special for the first day. I'm still looking with interest at the end of the week. Meteo France are now back to saying snow for Thur, Fri and Sat with max temps around -1c. GFS this afternoon seems to be agreeing. I could be digging my way out of the resort! A few pics from today:

View from balcony attachicon.gif20150124_141637.jpg Piste attachicon.gif20150124_161226.jpg Tonight attachicon.gif20150124_174602.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Malcolm, looks very inviting, ski-ing on your door step. Enjoy the week, look promising. Skied in La Plagne and Valmoral once, nice runs if I remember.

C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Some great snowfall in evidence in Kitzbuhl on Eurosport for mens slalom currently.

• Like 2

Posted

We're flying to Geneva on Friday for a long weekend skiing just outside Megeve. Looking at the mid term forecast, things are looking "interesting" for next weekend to say the least!

I rather hope the models have over estimated the potential storm next weekend, or it comes through earlier and quicker than currently tracked!!