Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow Thread - Season 2014/2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

As Paul says, thanks for sharing and wow, keep most of us happy for a long time simply scrolling through those shots, some really big depths there.

not much snow Paul compared to the shots from Spain!

-11C gawd, quick run to the train and then into the restaurant IF I even ventured outside my hotel with those numbers.

We had some scenes similar to these last Winter, but nothing like these. Particularly like this one, where my car ?post-3489-0-55297300-1422896689_thumb.jp

Posted

maybe we should copy the link into the model thread for folk to drool over?

Posted

Evening , max today in the village was only -8c. Temp down locally in the valley -15c later tonight. Time to head for the pub and a beer by a roaring fire.

Cheerspost-3489-0-89602500-1422897600_thumb.jp

Edited by carinthian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Meteo France have given an update on mountain conditions today and it confirms the Pyrenees are doing better than the French Alps for snow depths. Extracts from their report:

Since January 29, France is experiencing a time of increasingly cold. The cold polar air has settled over the country and generated an unstable and winter weather. 
In 24 hours between Saturday and Sunday evening, accumulations of 10 to 30 cm is generally observed, locally from 40 to 60 cm in the Hautes-Pyrenees.

On Sunday, we measured at the top of the slopes:

Vosges: 90-120 cm
  Jura: 100-130 cm
  Massif Central: 50 to 85 cm
  Savoie and Haute-Savoie: 120-230 cm
  Isère: 110-185 cm
  Hautes-Alpes and Southern Alps: 40 to 160 cm
  Pyrénées: 140-240 cm
  Pyrénées-Orientales: 60-140 cm
  Corsica: 40 to 90 cm

Full report in French: http://www.meteofrance.fr/actualites/22314134-des-conditions-toujours-hivernales-cette-semaine

Posted

No doubt in response to the recent heavy snowfalls, the Austrian Council for Alpine Safety has today published an update on conditions across Austria. The report unfortunately starts with news that the number of deaths so far this season is already exceeding all of last season. All regions of Austria are on 'Level 3' avalanche warning (out of a max of 5), with Vorarlberg going to 'Level 4' for the first time this season. Extracts:

The number of avalanche deaths is on the rise. In this year's ski season (November 1, 2014) so far 16 people have been killed in avalanches up to and including February 1st. Last year there were 13 victims in the winter season.

The avalanche situation reached on Monday in Vorarlberg north for the first time this winter level 4 on the five-digit danger scale and was "great". In all other mountainous regions over 1,600 meters was still considerable avalanche danger (Level 3). It will not change in the coming days, said the experts of the avalanche warning service.

Full report in Austrian (with regional summaries): http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Lawinengefahr-in-ganz-Oesterreich/175173954

Posted

No doubt in response to the recent heavy snowfalls, the Austrian Council for Alpine Safety has today published an update on conditions across Austria. The report unfortunately starts with news that the number of deaths so far this season is already exceeding all of last season. All regions of Austria are on 'Level 3' avalanche warning (out of a max of 5), with Vorarlberg going to 'Level 4' for the first time this season. Extracts:

The number of avalanche deaths is on the rise. In this year's ski season (November 1, 2014) so far 16 people have been killed in avalanches up to and including February 1st. Last year there were 13 victims in the winter season.

The avalanche situation reached on Monday in Vorarlberg north for the first time this winter level 4 on the five-digit danger scale and was "great". In all other mountainous regions over 1,600 meters was still considerable avalanche danger (Level 3). It will not change in the coming days, said the experts of the avalanche warning service.

Full report in Austrian (with regional summaries): http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich-wetter/Lawinengefahr-in-ganz-Oesterreich/175173954

Morning all,

Lots of fresh powder snow in the west, Voralborg and Montafon regions. Pictures of Damuls ( weird mountain that one ) and the other in the Silvretta ski area.

Super sunny start in Katschberg but cold down to -13c at 6am. Still -11c in village.

Cpost-3489-0-24734200-1422954484_thumb.jp

post-3489-0-96947400-1422954498_thumb.jp

Posted

For those who love winter sports, skiing, boarding, walking or simply being there, the Alps and Pyrenees are looking good for some time to come, so those already there or about to go - enjoy. Possibly some good sports in the higher regions of the UK as well for a few days and the snow in the Scottish ski resorts should hold up for some time.Take care though if going off piste, better still don't!

Posted

For those who love winter sports, skiing, boarding, walking or simply being there, the Alps and Pyrenees are looking good for some time to come, so those already there or about to go - enjoy. Possibly some good sports in the higher regions of the UK as well for a few days and the snow in the Scottish ski resorts should hold up for some time.Take care though if going off piste, better still don't!

Yep John, looks like some fantastic conditions across European ski resorts. As you say, its a good time to go with the Euro now more favourable. Book direct with hotels rather than agents, you will get a better deal. Get your fix away from the 2 year snow drought in the UK, for most anyway. Full day booked tomorrow for high mountain ski touring, weather permitting

C

Posted

Yep John, looks like some fantastic conditions across European ski resorts. As you say, its a good time to go with the Euro now more favourable. Book direct with hotels rather than agents, you will get a better deal. Get your fix away from the 2 year snow drought in the UK, for most anyway. Full day booked tomorrow for high mountain ski touring, weather permitting

C

why don't you do an offer Paul, not sure which is the nearest airport or which companies operate there?

Posted

why don't you do an offer Paul, not sure which is the nearest airport or which companies operate there?

Salzburg is 100km away, taxis are 160 euro one way or group booking would be 33 euros each. Plenty of Saturday flights for independent travellers. A few flights to Klagenfurt with Ryanair from Stanstead I think. Neilson Ski is the only UK tour operator for Katschberg and provides all travel arrangements and accommodation at the wonderful Cristallo Hotel which is a truly ski -in, ski out

hotel. The area ski pass covers the longest run in Austria the (A1) a 7km dream snow glade through the pine forests and links several resorts in the Lungau. Also pensioner rates for ski pass, so should suit you John ! Plus the apre not bad with a sprinkling of rustic Alpine fodder huts to eat and drink. Well that should sell it !

post-3489-0-92227400-1422960662_thumb.jp

Mountain hut down the A1 run last winter.

Posted

Salzburg is 100km away, taxis are 160 euro one way or group booking would be 33 euros each. Plenty of Saturday flights for independent travellers. A few flights to Klagenfurt with Ryanair from Stanstead I think. Neilson Ski is the only UK tour operator for Katschberg and provides all travel arrangements and accommodation at the wonderful Cristallo Hotel which is a truly ski -in, ski out

hotel. The area ski pass covers the longest run in Austria the (A1) a 7km dream snow glade through the pine forests and links several resorts in the Lungau. Also pensioner rates for ski pass, so should suit you John ! Plus the apre not bad with a sprinkling of rustic Alpine fodder huts to eat and drink. Well that should sell it !

attachicon.gif1398068_799997923371743_5329663870368125677_o.jpg

Mountain hut down the A1 run last winter.

so so tempting, maybe next year as I have an expensive 2 week holiday in China May-June. Can't miss Wengen but I 'might' be able to do a short stay after that next year, will certainly look at it health permitting.

• Like 1

Posted

Any reports from the Arlberg region of Austria (St. Anton, Zurs, Lech, etc)?  I am heading that way this Thursday, and am so excited.  The conditions in some of the other Alps regions look great, hoping for same in St. Anton.  

Thanks!

Hi Dan, where you staying ? Plenty in those high level villages. A good time to go but will be very cold ! Enjoy.

C

Posted

Any reports from the Arlberg region of Austria (St. Anton, Zurs, Lech, etc)?  I am heading that way this Thursday, and am so excited.  The conditions in some of the other Alps regions look great, hoping for same in St. Anton.  

Thanks!

Hi Dan.

Carinthian's post (above) sums it up nicely - near perfect conditions and a great time to be heading to St Anton. Here's a couple of charts to confirm the point.

Current conditions from the Ski Club of GB post-20040-0-47189700-1422989592_thumb.j 

Forecast for the next 5 days from snowforecast.com post-20040-0-26594000-1422989899_thumb.j

Links: Ski Club http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/snowreports/snowreport.aspx#.VNERUyyzXIU Snowforecast.com http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/bot

Edit: I just had to add this drop dead gorgeous webcam shot from St Anton today. How nice does that look!! Have a great time Dan. 

post-20040-0-37820600-1422996632_thumb.j

Edited by Blessed Weather

Wow- that is a great web cam shot- I can only catch the web cams at the end of their day over here in California, so it is either a shot of dusk or night time.  Conditions look amazing!  We are staying on the Eastern side of St. Anton, outside of the main down town area.   

Interesting point above about avalanche conditions- something to look into.

Posted

To say I'm jealous is an understatement! Having post holiday blues at work now! Roll on 2016...

I might return to Austria next year as it's been a while, also some of the reports of the Austrian resorts from members on here have really fuelled my interest. St Anton and Katschberg are definitely options. I have been to Saalbach many years ago, and could return, does any one have opinions on this resort?

Posted

To say I'm jealous is an understatement! Having post holiday blues at work now! Roll on 2016...

I might return to Austria next year as it's been a while, also some of the reports of the Austrian resorts from members on here have really fuelled my interest. St Anton and Katschberg are definitely options. I have been to Saalbach many years ago, and could return, does any one have opinions on this resort?

Depends on what you're after stuboy. St. Anton is higher and more snow-sure with generally more challenging skiing and amazing amounts of off-piste terrain. Saalbach-Hinterglemm is lower and with some south facing pistes can be effected by any milder conditions, and whilst there is as much on-piste skiing as St. Anton it has nowhere near the off-piste opportunities. I don't know much about Katschberg but Carinthian has done a great job in getting many of us interested in a skiing trip there!

The Ski Club of GB website has lots of independent reviews posted by fellow skiers and they are well worth a read. Here's the link for Saalbach reviews: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/resortreviews.aspx/Saalbach#.VNKOSSyzXIU

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

If you are young enough to burn the candle at both ends, then hit the slopes and bars at ST Anton.

Pretty much all you want there, if you can handle it lol..

The first time I went there I came back a total wreck...

You can ski from St Anton to Lech, which is the very posh part of the area, its very groomed there..

If you want a much relaxing trip then head for the quieter resorts in Austria, I still think it has the best apres ski and has some of the best  scenery.

As Blessed mentions, some of the Austrian resorts are quite low.

Posted

There is a fairly moderate ski -tour in Katschberg on the mountain of The Kareck with access via the Gontal Valley, the route is 10.9km in distance and takes 3.5 hours. The ascent of 1130m to a height of 2400m provides a spectacular view of the surrounding Hohe Tauren mountain range . The descent through a virgin snow bowl into the Gontal in truly worth the effort especially at the end as there is a mountain pub called the Pritza Hut, where you can pick up a eco return to the village being towed on your skis by horse. However, do not fall off as the horse will not wait ! Weather permitting can be easily accessed .

Picture of the snow bowl .post-3489-0-00951000-1423128462_thumb.jp

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted

not sure about being towed by a horse Paul, it also sounds like hard work getting there. Much prefer, the train, cable car, gondola etc!

Posted

not sure about being towed by a horse Paul, it also sounds like hard work getting there. Much prefer, the train, cable car, gondola etc!

Yes John a defo for younger legs. Brilliant sunshine all day yesterday in the mountains. Complete cloud cover and snow setting in this morning and for much of the week. -7c the reading and a easterly soon to develop with blowing snow. That high over you going to feed some very cold air our way by mid-month. A good time to come ski-ing in the Eastern Alps but thermals will be order of the day !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Stuboy

Personally I prefered the skiing at Saalbach, it has a great snow coverage [microclimate] but apres ski is a tad different.....on weekends had huge influx of Austrians, very loud and tons of singing [well it is their country after all!! lol}  but I actually enjoyed that a lot.  Although I like apres ski [Kitzbuhel is fabulous, Soll fabulous] I found St Anton OTT ...but each to their own and maybe because I twisted my knee badly that holiday [got away without any damage though] that maybe affected my outlook a bit.

Models today are showing many more cold plunges to come over next 2 weeks, more snow top up so I'm now in my favourite zone same as approaching cold spells....'anticipation'

Fred

Just to let everyone know that the next Ski Blog update will be on Sunday,

However in the meantime here is the latest snow report from http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full

http://www.snow-forecast.com/overviews/tips_full (this week including Andorra) !!!

SNOW NEWS UPDATED 5 FEBRUARY 2015

INTRODUCTION The heavy snow finally let up and the sun made an appearance this week across the Alps, giving some fantastic skiing conditions. Thursday 5th February however, dawned cloudy for most, with some good snowfall reported in parts of Italy. A mostly sunny weekend is expected, but cloudier skies are forecast from Sunday onwards in the east, potentially bringing some heavy snow to Austria. Fortunately the avalanche risk is falling, but still lies at Level 3 (considerable) in almost all of our featured Alpine resorts so be careful out there.

AUSTRIA Over the course of a week, Austria has seen plenty of fresh snow, which has made conditions very enjoyable. Thursday 5th February was a very cloudy day, which affected visibility, particularly on the higher glacial resorts such as Kaprun (80/270cm) and Kaunertal (178/270cm). The temperature across Austria has remained well below freezing so both the pistes and the powder have remained in a very good state Serfaus, Fiss and Ladis (25/120cm) have excellent pistes at higher altitude after the recent snowfall. On Thursday almost all of their lifts were running with 66 in operation. The temperature was a nice -4C at mid-mountain level, although it was very cloudy so visibility was a little tricky at higher altitude. The webcams are showing that the off piste is a little tracked out in parts but pockets of fresh powder can still be found. The current cloudy state is expected to remain throughout Friday with the chance of light snowfall, but the good news is that on Saturday clear skies and sunshine is forecast. Some very heavy snow is currently expected to begin on Sunday, with 40-80cm forecast for much of Austria.

FRANCE The skiing across France is superb at present following some huge snowfall totals in the past ten days. The French Meteo service reported 130-160cm across a wide area of the French Alps, snowfall that has transformed the skiing conditions. Thursday 5th February dawned cloudy and unsettled, with some light snowfall picked up at some resorts. Some of the best skiing following last week's snow was in the Chamonix (55/200cm) valley following almost 2 metres of accumulated snowfall. Excellent powder was reported at Le Tour and on the Grand Montets by the Ski Club's Ambassador, but with some high winds recently it has become somewhat wind-affected. Great skiing is on offer at present in the Grand Massif area, with Flaine (165/255cm) reporting one of the deepest bases in the country at present. Conditions both on and off piste have been excellent all week, especially once the snow settled and the avalanche risk reduced. The French Pyrenees have seen some exceptional snowfall in the past week and were only just beginning to open up properly on Thursday 5th February. Well over two metres was recorded at both Cauterets (180/290cm) and Bareges/La Mongie (200/260cm), closing the resorts for almost three days at the start of this week. The avalanche risk has been fluctuating between Level 4 and 5, so skiing off piste is strongly discouraged. Once the snow settles, the conditions will be incredible and a long season is now guaranteed. Settled and mostly sunny weather is forecast for the Pyrenees and the Alps over the weekend, providing perfect ski conditions. The sunshine is expected to continue through the first half of next week too.

SWITZERLAND The heavy snow finally came to an end on Tuesday, allowing skiers to experience the fantastic conditions following all the new snow. The avalanche danger was at Level 3 on Thursday 5th February, an improvement on earlier in the week when it hit Level 4 for many. Great skiing has been had all week in the Jungfrau Region, with Ski Club Leaders in Grindelwald (15/163cm), Murren (80/189cm) and Wengen (50/110cm) all reporting fantastic conditions both on and off piste. Similar reports have come in from the Leader in Verbier (55/170cm), where excellent off piste has been found across the mountain. The linked resorts of Grimentz (50/150cm) and Zinal (50/150cm) saw further snowfall on Thursday 5th February, further improving the already very good conditions across the area. Every one of the 21 lifts has been turning all week and 111 out of 115km of slopes were open. Over in the east of the country, Samnaun (35/135cm) has some fantastic conditions at present. The Ski Club's Leader in Ischgl across the border in Austria, reported that the slopes all the way down to Samnaun were in excellent condition, with the red runs above the village also providing some great skiing. Changeable weather is in the forecast for the weekend, with some resorts in the southwest forecast to pick up around 25cm.There are likely to be some decent sunny breaks for many however, especially in the north of the country.

ITALY It's currently cold and cloudy in Italy with many resorts reporting poor visibility as a result of some early morning fog on Thursday 5th February. But the good news is that snow has fallen across many resorts, significantly improving conditions across the country. The Milky Way ski region with Sestriere, Sauze d'Oulx, Cesana and Claviere (60/80cm) has had an excellent week so far for snow, with up to 40cm being reported on Thursday. The snow was still falling on Thursday too so conditions should improve even more. Piste conditions are very good now and there are pockets of fresh powder just waiting to be carved through. A total of 57 lifts were in operation across this fantastic ski area. The current cloudy state will be present throughout Friday which could bring light snow, but Saturday should be mostly bright and sunny with a few patches of cloud. It is forecast to become cloudy again on Sunday but it should be a great weekend for skiing.

ANDORRA The snow has not stopped falling in Andorra, with a further 15cm of fresh snowfall recorded on Thursday 5th February. The avalanche danger was still at Level 4 however and strong winds were affecting lift operations, but once the weather clears some amazing skiing will be on offer. Soldeu (100/150cm) has seen a massive180cm of fresh snow in the past week, with the other resorts picking up similar amounts. Clear weather is finally expected on Sunday, following yet more snowfall over the coming days.

GERMANY Further fresh snowfall on Monday set up great week of skiing at our featured German resorts. The early-season woes are thankfully forgotten and most lists were in operation across the country. Obertsdorf (60/180cm) had all but one of its 26 lifts spinning on Thursday 5th February, with some excellent conditions across the mountain. Spitzringsee (70/127cm) is still yet to open five of its lifts, but hopefully this will all change with the forecast heavy snow. Sunday and Monday could see upwards of 50cm of fresh snow, with Berchtesgaden (50/100cm) currently forecast to receive 90cm of powder.

EUROPEAN WEATHER OUTLOOK The outlook for the weekend ahead is very mixed across the Alps, with further snowfall expected for some and sunshine for others. Thursday's snow in Italy is expected to peter out in time for the weekend, allowing sunshine to break through by Saturday so the skiing conditions should be great. France can expect a lovely sunny weekend, with mostly clear skies and cold temperatures forecast. Switzerland should remain mostly dry too, but is predicted to see slightly more in the way of cloud cover. Further east in Austria, following a sunny Saturday, heavy snow is expected to fall on Sunday and Monday. Favoured spots could catch up to 80cm of fresh snow (such as Fieberbrunn & Filzmoos), but with 40-60cm currently predicted for the rest, the conditions should be fantastic at the start of next week. Light snowfall is expected to continue in the Pyrenees over the coming days, adding to the already excellent base depths across the mountain range. Sunny weather is expected from Sunday onwards, with a stunning week forecast  perfect for getting out there and enjoying all of the new snow. Some decent snowfall is forecast for Bulgaria, with up to 15-30cm of fresh snow expected by Monday. The next clear spell of weather is predicted for the middle of next week.

Edited by J10
  • Like 1

Posted

Just to let everyone know that the next Ski Blog update will be on Sunday,

However in the meantime here is the latest snow report....

At last Julian! A 'conditions' update that is an absolute pleasure to read. And isn't it nice to read a sentence that says "a long season is now guaranteed". (I know with the weather nothing can be guaranteed, but I personally think they're right). If only we could have been looking at these conditions from mid December!