Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps Snow Thread - Season 2014/2015

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

We just added 7 day snow total forecasts to the ski/snowboard forecasts - just the odd 195cm of snow expected in Avoriaz in the coming week!

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;resort=S587~Avoriaz;sess=#forecast

Jeepers! That is making up for the early season rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

It's been snowing hard all day here in Flaine and I would guess about 30cm has fallen so far (late afternoon) but it's hard to judge as this afternoon the wind has really got up and it's frequently been blizzard conditions. Skiing was OK this morning in lighter winds but not for me this afternoon (and anyway, I suspect more and more lifts will be closing now). But the bar was warm and cosy whilst we watched the snow swirling around outside. I'm loving it!!

If you want to see what the conditions were like outside the apartment this afternoon, I've put a short video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/m7C6IssUats

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Jesus Malcolm....those are harsh and dangerous conditions.....nice warm bar conditions :D  

BFTP

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

I cannot for the life of me understand why you not skiing in that.

Looks like an average day here in Essex.
:rofl: :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

The most snow expected over the next few days is  in the Pyrenees especially the western side with incredible amounts falling.

It started snowing yesterday afternoon and hasn't stopped for over 24 hours, unfortunately theres a high avalanche risk, totals are expected to easily exceed 1 metre of fresh snow and that's just till tomorrow morning with a lot more snow due for the next week.

It's a shame that the Pyrenees are hardly mentioned in here. Maybe I'll start my own thread up!

Edited by nick sussex

Posted

Well that's the end of my week's skiing in Flaine. And very enjoyable too, with the severe weather ‘experience’ compensating for the skiing time missed. It's been snowing most of the day today alternating between light and heavy with a brief drier spell early afternoon. I would estimate about 75cm of snow has fallen over the two days (but difficult to be precise going by visual evidence when winds have been blowing the snow around).

This evening it’s snowing hard again, so totals continue to rise. Snow chains are on, ready for a possibly interesting “off†in the morning.

• Like 1

The most snow expected over the next few days is  in the Pyrenees especially the western side with incredible amounts falling.

It started snowing yesterday afternoon and hasn't stopped for over 24 hours, unfortunately theres a high avalanche risk, totals are expected to easily exceed 1 metre of fresh snow and that's just till tomorrow morning with a lot more snow due for the next week.

It's a shame that the Pyrenees are hardly mentioned in here. Maybe I'll start my own thread up!

My "Alps" forecast blog used to include the Pyrenees, but no-one ever seems to mention the Pyrenees , So I stopped covering them in the forecasts.

As there was often a large difference in the forecast.

Saying that if people want to discuss the Pyrenees in here you are more than welcome to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Super morning. Overnight snowfall then crystal blue sky and sunshine. Just perfect for ski-ing and all other outdoor activities. Expecting the busiest weekend of the season so far. Lots of cold weather this coming week with snow showers and sunshine. A bit of mountain snow hut touring on the cards as well this week, should be nice.

Cpost-3489-0-97697500-1422703179_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool clear sunny weather all year.

Super morning. Overnight snowfall then crystal blue sky and sunshine. Just perfect for ski-ing and all other outdoor activities. Expecting the busiest weekend of the season so far. Lots of cold weather this coming week with snow showers and sunshine. A bit of mountain snow hut touring on the cards as well this week, should be nice.

Cattachicon.gif10953949_10153119904658628_7609089326890292994_n.jpg

Now that is heaven, lol...

Posted

Just getting packed now Before going off to morzien tomorrow. Really looking forward to the amount of fresh snow they have got there

Edited by Tom Jarvis
  • Like 2

Posted

Hi all, well I arrived back from Passo Tonale this afternoon and I must say we had an excellent time. The scenery was fantastic and the snow was really good. The dumping last week really saved the day. I was quite jealous looking at some of the places in France and Austria on TV this week, but our conditions were just fine. In fact a moderate fall on Thursday evening/night resulted in a fantastic last day yesterday (Friday). There was powder on and off the pistes. 

So another great winter holiday passes, and here's to next year! Good luck to those of you still heading out there this year, conditions from now onwards should be fantastic I think, very jealous! I will still follow this thread and all reports very closely!

• Like 1

Posted

Cattachicon.gif10953949_10153119904658628_7609089326890292994_n.jpg

Looks like they have a good plough behind the tractor Paul, very impressive looking. Only had 3 days with totally blue skies but it sure did snow at times.

To be fair Nick Julian does a great job and as he comments not many seem to be very interested in the Pyrenees.

It's been snowing hard all day here in Flaine and I would guess about 30cm has fallen so far (late afternoon) but it's hard to judge as this afternoon the wind has really got up and it's frequently been blizzard conditions. Skiing was OK this morning in lighter winds but not for me this afternoon (and anyway, I suspect more and more lifts will be closing now). But the bar was warm and cosy whilst we watched the snow swirling around outside. I'm loving it!!

If you want to see what the conditions were like outside the apartment this afternoon, I've put a short video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/m7C6IssUats

yep had 3 days like that, impressive watching it and at 7000ft I still saw folk skiing in it! Must be mad, watching from the train was fun but not being out in it thank you very much.

• Like 2

Posted

Looks like they have a good plough behind the tractor Paul, very impressive looking. Only had 3 days with totally blue skies but it sure did snow at times.

To be fair Nick Julian does a great job and as he comments not many seem to be very interested in the Pyrenees.

yep had 3 days like that, impressive watching it and at 7000ft I still saw folk skiing in it! Must be mad, watching from the train was fun but not being out in it thank you very much.

John, not sure if you are back, but you must have had your snow fix this holiday ! Saw the Wengen downhill on tv, wonderful scenery, must be one of the best downhills in the world along Val Gardena for ski-ing against a wonderful back drop.
  • Like 1

Posted

yes I arrived 3pm local time the day the Lauberhorn was run, blue skies and perfect snow. That said the run had been prepared some days earlier so the new snow caused a headache with them working until 4am to clear it off the track. Never went on in it as folk said it was a skating rink! I am very biased but the scenery is just jaw droppiing.

I watched some of the racing from Kitzbuhel Friday and Saturday lunch time in a mountain retaurant, frighteningly steep in places and a huge crowd but did not see you!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Hi Nick. When I posted some Euro4 charts last week showing the snowfall for the Alps I nearly mentioned that it looked like the Pyrenees were going to get the heaviest falls on Friday.

You're right that the Pyrenees haven't been mentioned in the thread so far this season, but last season a member (Tim Bland) was going skiing to Pas de la Casa and asked for views on the upcoming weather. Here's the post and reply from last year's thread: https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78125-the-alps-snow-thread-season-2013-14/page-11#entry2937187

Edit: Not sure why, but this link doesn't open in a new tab, so 'back arrow' to return here.

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted

Ridiculous amounts of snow have fallen in the Pyrenees, too much with a very high avalanche risk. Snow in the valley here the first since the winter of 2012/2013.

It's been snowing higher up since Thursday evening with very few breaks, even more snow forecast for tomorrow night and Tuesday morning. Then a bitterly cold ne flow setting in. Once the weather clears the conditions will be superb. Thanks for your reply BW, I know the Alps are much more popular than the Pyrenees which is a shame because there are some lovely resorts here.

• Like 2

Posted

Ridiculous amounts of snow have fallen in the Pyrenees, too much with a very high avalanche risk. Snow in the valley here the first since the winter of 2012/2013.

It's been snowing higher up since Thursday evening with very few breaks, even more snow forecast for tomorrow night and Tuesday morning. Then a bitterly cold ne flow setting in. Once the weather clears the conditions will be superb. Thanks for your reply BW, I know the Alps are much more popular than the Pyrenees which is a shame because there are some lovely resorts here.

I have had a few ski holidays to the Pyrenees...pas de la casa is a superb resort...especially if you like the après ski fun there are some excellent runs there too. Plus the cheap supply of cigs and aftershave etc as it is a tax free area. People should give it a go they wouldn't be disappointed

• Like 1

yes I arrived 3pm local time the day the Lauberhorn was run, blue skies and perfect snow. That said the run had been prepared some days earlier so the new snow caused a headache with them working until 4am to clear it off the track. Never went on in it as folk said it was a skating rink! I am very biased but the scenery is just jaw droppiing.

I watched some of the racing from Kitzbuhel Friday and Saturday lunch time in a mountain retaurant, frighteningly steep in places and a huge crowd but did not see you!

I am not biased, and the scenery is jaw dropping.

Posted

Morning all,

Fantastic morning, -15c in village. Will be coldest day of the season so far with a max of -11c on the mountain. Sunshine and snow showers, perfect, my favourite type of weather. A good day for ski-ing, me thinks.

C

post-3489-0-72762000-1422866622_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Posted

Here you can see some pics of the Pyrenees

Thanks for sharing. Amazing snowfall and more to come !

Posted

Here you can see some pics of the Pyrenees

As Paul says, thanks for sharing and wow, keep most of us happy for a long time simply scrolling through those shots, some really big depths there.

Morning all,

Fantastic morning, -15c in village. Will be coldest day of the season so far with a max of -11c on the mountain. Sunshine and snow showers, perfect, my favourite type of weather. A good day for ski-ing, me thinks.

C

attachicon.gif94.jpg

not much snow Paul compared to the shots from Spain!

-11C gawd, quick run to the train and then into the restaurant IF I even ventured outside my hotel with those numbers.

• Like 1