Cold?
IGNORED

Far North Of England - Weather Chat

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

temp -0.4c its going to be a cold one 

I think we'll get down to -3c easily maybe even -4c if the skies remain clear

Ground is bone dry here so no issues with Ice but that won't be the case for some parts of the region especially higher up where snow continues to melt

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Nice pics Nick :)

1c here and the earlier breeze has disappeared.

Should be a cold one tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Nice pics Nick :)

1c here and the earlier breeze has disappeared.

Should be a cold one tonight.

Whereabouts are you in Newcastle?  Its -1.6c here.  This could be the coldest night of the winter so far here.  Pity there is no snow cover.

Posted

I've had 3 days when snow has fallen they and they were all in the 2nd half of last month

1st fall was on the 18th melted within a few hours of it stopping

2nd was last Wednesday it lasted longer but only because it fell overnight when its naturally colder

3rd was last Thursday again melted in no time

So whilst this winter is a slight improvement on last winter its nothing to write home about the one thing I've noticed more is the coldest spells have brought a lot of dry sunny weather for example over Christmas.

If anyone can bare to watch it the weather for the week ahead is below similar to today really as in the wind chill is going to make it feel colder than it actually would be if it was a clam day

At around 3.25 the temperatures are the same across the country (a mild 5-7C) yet it's supposedly"not quite as cold in the north" and "staying cold in the south." Just goes to prove the southers can't hack decent weather.

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Whereabouts are you in Newcastle?  Its -1.6c here.  This could be the coldest night of the winter so far here.  Pity there is no snow cover.

East end mate, the car thermometer said 1c so probably isn't 100% accurate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

East end mate, the car thermometer said 1c so probably isn't 100% accurate!

My car thermometer is always 1-2 degrees higher.   Its now -1.9c here.

Posted

-2.7 here, humidity 69% = DP -7.04 :cold:

Is that shielded? Because that's considerably lower than any of the PWS I can see in that area on wunderground.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

-0.2c here nicely below freezing before sleep for a change

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Temp -1.4c dp -4.6c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

-2.7 here, humidity 69% = DP -7.04 :cold:

really that's low looking around the region

Posted

Is that shielded? Because that's considerably lower than any of the PWS I can see in that area on wunderground.

Hi Nick, shielded in respect that weather station is attached to Northerly facing fencepost up the garden. Now showing -2.6 , have been outside to check mercury thermometer in same location and is showing about the same by torchlight. Local Wunderground showing Crawcrook (1.5 miles away) at -2.1, so in the same range mate,cheers,Karl

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

Sudden drop to -3, very cold for this winter!

Just thought it sounded very low for the area, as noted above. By shielded I meant in a proper Stevenson screen or equivalent. I only ask because I had a non-shielded sensor for a few years and it ended up being much lower than other parts, and recorded changes in temperature much faster than other sensors, which is usually a sign that things aren't right. Both these issues were solved by using a screen (i.e., an enclosure).

Posted

Cold this morning, car reading -4c. However it's dry as a bone, not even a frost to scrape off the car. I think we need some surprises to deliver some snow otherwise I think dry is the story of the spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I just cant see where our precipitation is going to come from!! There seems to be some small showers in the north sea but it looks like they will miss us and go into yorkshire instead (hull area) :sorry:

Posted

A patchy frost by the looks of things in Darlington some cars have a light frost on them and others have nothing at all

Just above freezing now at 0.1c

Posted

It looks like showers towards the end of the night start to move inland for the South of the region. Hoping to have a few surprises from this.

post-12767-0-74208700-1422869024_thumb.j

Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted

Cold weather alert extended to 05:00 on Sunday

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action

Issued at: 0855 on Mon 2 Feb 2015

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0900 on Monday and 0500 on Sunday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Cold conditions will persist, with widespread overnight frosts, locally severe, and low daytime temperatures. The cold conditions will be accentuated at times by strong winds, especially across eastern and southern England later in the week. Snow showers will occur, isolated for much of the time, apart for Wednesday and Thursday across eastern England when the snow showers become more widespread, also locally heavy during Wednesday. Slight accumulations of snow will occur across eastern England through Wednesday and overnight, especially over high ground, leading to icy stretches or possibly widespread ice forming on untreated surfaces during Wednesday and Thursday nights.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region.

Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert