Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The Start Of Winter

Paul

Posted

MattHugo81

For those discounting earlier tweet regarding all 51 EC ENS members find attached graphic for the 25th... http://t.co/rCG4umaTj8

16/12/2014 21:18

no idea what the chart matt has posted is but it surely cant be a huge cluster, given the mean.  very odd

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

no idea what the chart matt has posted is but it surely cant be a huge cluster, given the mean.  very odd

Strangely, it is representative of the 51 ENS according to the ECM - Is the clustering computer driven or human inputted?

• Like 1

Posted

Strangely, it is representative of the 51 ENS according to the ECM - Is the clustering computer driven or human inputted?

post-6981-0-90596900-1418766589_thumb.gi

i think there is a misunderstanding somewhere ed. 42 runs clustered like that would not give this mean. it maybe a cluster but it cant be 42/51 members. perhaps member 42 of 51 (shown) is representative of cluster no 1 ???

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted

The increased ridging of the East European HP and a movement east with the Scandinavian trough?

Trend of High latitude blocking NW Canada/ E Greenland.

Hints of an East based -NAO.

• Like 2

Posted

Desperate measures by Ian Brown perhaps? :D

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Just logged back in in desperation following earlier misery to check the pub run and saw the hilarity re: Hugo's tweet.  :hi:

Posted

attachicon.gifget_legacy_plot-web248-20141216211243-15422-0845.gif

i think there is a misunderstanding somewhere ed. 42 runs clustered like that would not give this mean. it maybe a cluster but it cant be 42/51 members. perhaps member 42 of 51 (shown) is representative of cluster no 1 ???

No.  At that timeframe there are 51 members that are put in clusters by the ECM and they use one of the representatives to give the best idea of that cluster. In this case for XMAS day there is only 1 cluster with all 51 represenatives of which number 42 supposedly gives the best idea...

It looks like a classic #ECMclusterfail as I said, because it does not look representative at all...so no wonder Matt said what he did because on the face of it the clustering suggests that this is the case.

I bet that if you ask Nick L about the 23rd he may tell you more about the clustering for that date....

• Like 5

Posted

Tonight's extended EPS at T360

Azores ridge just to west of UK. Weak trough just east of Scandinavia extending south into Europe. Intensive ridge Alaska and a weak trough N. Canada extending SE into Atlantic with neutral heights Greenland.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

Steve, those ens mean charts are not ensemble means but the mean of ops days 6/10. JH likes to use them to back up the CPC charts to see if the ops are in line with the ens. I don't like them because if the ops are out of sync with general guidance post day 6, they are useless.

Steve, those ens mean charts are not ensemble means but the mean of ops days 6/10. JH likes to use them to back up the CPC charts to see if the ops are in line with the ens. I don't like them because if the ops are out of sync with general guidance post day 6, they are useless.

No worries - good job the OPs are inline with the ensembles tonight- they look a fair representation...

S

• Like 2

Posted

The increased ridging of the East European HP and a movement east with the Scandinavian trough?

Meant to come back to you.

No, I can't see any increased East European ridging, the trend as far as I could see was for heights to reduce with the ridge to our south (good) whilst the trough on the eastern side of NA increases in intensity (another good - as it increases amplitude)

• Like 5

Posted

hardly useless ba, as with any model output one has to use anything carefully, if one does that then not infallible by any means but a great deal more consistent in terms of accuracy in the 6-15 day time scales than anything else I have come across and tried to use in the 10 years or so on this forum.

Of course any of us on Net Wx can use whatever we feel is best and be judged on the results, that is what makes this forum such a good mix of ideas so long as we keep out the personal digs that some use. I am not accusing you of doing that by the way.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Not a bad 18z gfs and parallel run! ! Pretty similar to 12z up to 190 hours!! Atlantic Ridge and northerly incoming! !

They look poor to me to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Guess it's a night for model mayhem, Don't shoot the messenger...

post-7292-0-25512800-1418769999_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Not a bad 18z gfs and parallel run! ! Pretty similar to 12z up to 190 hours!! Atlantic Ridge and northerly incoming! !

never really get any northerly tbh!!looks so complex on the 18z and so many hurdles to clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Yeah not bad run to run consistency, it just delays the low to the South and develops it a little less but the would be nice for the South as it drags in cold air from its Eastern flank and mixes in less warm air. A bit silly putting that much detail on FI charts but hey...

gfsnh-0-240.png?18

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Well thats another run with some decent looking winter weather (Temperature wise).  A slight variation on the 12Z upto around t.126-ish.  So, I would have to say, atm, unless something drastic happens, Xmas looks like being cold for most at least. Snow fall on the other hand, well that depends on how the pattern evolves over the next few days as we edge towards the weekend.

Woah.... :cold:

h850t850eu.png

Edited by IBringTheHammer
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well thats another run with some decent looking winter weather (Temperature wise).  A slight variation on the 12Z upto around t.126-ish.  So, I would have to say, atm, unless something drastic happens, Xmas looks like being cold for most at least. Snow fall on the other hand, well that depends on how the pattern evolves over the next few days as we edge towards the weekend.

We are binning GFS 18z op then?

Good. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

At the very least, the GFS18z operation run shows a much colder spell later next week with arctic air bringing wintry showers and widespread frosts which is a damn sight better than mild swly mush. This run tinkered with a pattern change but then lost the plot towards the end.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

gfs-0-252.png?18

Ahh a channelish low.

Snow for the south huzzah!

Going for Scandi heights here.

gfsnh-0-336.png?18

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 8