Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - The final stretch to Christmas

Posted

Bizarre! Even the GFS wouldn't bring that, initially it might turn milder but even if you take the GFS low position it will still turn colder for a time.

Hi there nick

I thought it rather strange as although I cant read the models I do listen to a lot of the comments on here from experienced members, but the forecast was on bbc1 southeast at 1855hrs this evening !!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

5-15cm..that's it I'm off to buy a sledge..Seriously though I'm happy to see a cold outlook, if we can get a snow cover before the high moves in we will get some very low minima and struggling to get much above freezing during daylight too.. a far cry from last winter when the mild unsettled weather hardly ever stopped for 3 months.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

See what you mean, but someone posted a chart earlier of Feb 1991 (the best snowstorm I can ever remember) and that occurred with low heights in Greenland. If we can tap into these Scandi heights that we keep getting glimpses of in recent output, we could be on to something more promising maybe?

That was a Scandinavia high with strong PV, different animal, and very possible.

Posted

ECM1-168.GIF?23-0

Nice chart, cold and frosty at the surface with the Azores ridge being sheered away. As BA says, there is an undercut chance which could start to pull colder air in from the east.

Undercut achieved

ECM1-192.GIF?23-0

Low single figure maxima for most and becoming bitter along the south coast.

Almost perfect omega shape to the block at T + 192.

Edited by 492
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

It just shows that nothing is set in stone for this weekend. At 120 hrs the ecm/gfs  differ greatly with the low pressure system over Europe. I must say ,talking of deep snow in the southeast going by tonights  ecm is rather amusing, just remember that ecm as been very poor of late with its output.  Its only one output and more than likely be different on the 00z runs. Certainly interesting, and entertaining output, but please folks be careful at looking at one picticular model which shows what weather  you want, as it almost will be totally different tomorrow, especially given the high confusion it the model output of recent days. I love snow and cant wait to see it fall and settle, but Im very cautious with the model output that far out :closedeyes:  :smiliz23:  :smiliz57:  

post-6830-0-10357400-1419364361_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-08830200-1419364394_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Hi there nick

I thought it rather strange as although I cant read the models I do listen to a lot of the comments on here from experienced members, but the forecast was on bbc1 southeast at 1855hrs this evening !!!!!

I've managed to watch it now on the BBC site, I think her mild comments were in relation to just upto Saturday although it might have come across as suggestive of further.

Regardless of which output turns out to be correct it will turn colder, the question mark at the moment is really in terms of how long this lasts and how much snow falls.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Combined with my last post, this is really knife edge on Sunday morning with the Dam thickness, 528. The ingredients are as near as dammit (no pun) there.

14122806_2312.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Combined with my last post, this is really knife edge on Sunday morning with the Dam thickness, 528. The ingredients are as near as dammit (no pun) there.

14122806_2312.gif

Perhaps you should be commenting in the Regionals mate as your last 2 posts have been very IMBY

• Like 5

Posted

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack2.gif

Wave depression on T+72 FAX slightly further south than previous run as are the high cells to the south of the UK. This wave is expected to deepen rapidly as it tracks east across N England before it turns southeast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Perhaps you should be commenting in the Regionals mate as your last 2 posts have been very IMBY

I will do thanks but the scope is probably from the Humber to Kent.

• Like 2

Posted

It just shows that nothing is set in stone for this weekend. At 120 hrs the ecm/gfs  differ greatly with the low pressure system over Europe. I must say ,talking of deep snow in the southeast going by tonights  ecm is rather amusing, just remember that ecm as been very poor of late with its output.  Its only one output and more than likely be different on the 00z runs. Certainly interesting, and entertaining output, but please folks be careful at looking at one picticular model which shows what weather  you want, as it almost will be totally different tomorrow, especially given the high confusion it the model output of recent days. I love snow and cant wait to see it fall and settle, but Im very cautious with the model output that far out :closedeyes:  :smiliz23:  :smiliz57:  

But surely that post was only commenting on what the ecm showes.   and indeed it does perhaps show a decent covering for the south east on that run.  not to dissimilar to ukmo run infact  as ever more runs needed  but this is the model discussion thread after all  

Posted

I've managed to watch it now on the BBC site, I think her mild comments were in relation to just upto Saturday although it might have come across as suggestive of further.

Regardless of which output turns out to be correct it will turn colder, the question mark at the moment is really in terms of how long this lasts and how much snow falls.

many thanks for that, lets keep our fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It reminds me of that famous line from planet of the apes..give me some snow you dam dirty 528 dam...All of a sudden, the models are giving new hope for a snow cover before the Atlantic / Azores anticyclone builds in strongly, if things work out, some areas could have snow on the ground for most if not all of next week, riches unheard of so far this winter.

• Like 3

Posted

Regional forecasts I find are quite poor when you then watch the following National forecast

• Like 6

Posted

14122806_2312.gif

Looking into so much detail ,that far out will result in depression! Analyize  the overall trends of the models , its gonna turn much colder, but the finer details of precip etc wont be possible to forecast to very nearer the actual timeframe....... :smiliz23:

• Like 3

Posted

Tonights Nick Sussex Oscars go to the following:

Model in a leading role for its performance in I'm Dreaming Of An Easterly.

attachicon.gifnavgemnh-0-180.png

The NAVGEM which is the best on show as it delivers a long draw easterly.

Model in a supporting role for its performance in Scrooge.

attachicon.gifgfsnh-0-180.png

The GFS which throws low heights eastwards and mild mush later on.

Lol. Signed in on my wife's iPad just to respond.

Surely you missed the GFSp - Best Screenplay (somehow manages to get the audience to suspend their disbelief)

• Like 1

Posted

But surely that post was only commenting on what the ecm showes.   and indeed it does perhaps show a decent covering for the south east on that run.  not to dissimilar to ukmo run infact  as ever more runs needed  but this is the model discussion thread after all  

Yes indeed this is the model discussion, but just saying going on one model and one run is pretty useless in giving any detail in forecasting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Some insight as to why the models and the forecasters are struggling to deal with the evolution of the coming weekends low pressure system, highlighted well by the Jet stream

hgt300.png

Good luck figuring that one out !!!

• Like 2

Posted

Lol. Signed in on my wife's iPad just to respond.

Surely you missed the GFSp - Best Screenplay (somehow manages to get the audience to suspend their disbelief)

Maybe we should bring in the Raspberries as they do for the worst films. The GFS would win that hands down!

Judging by the short ensembles for De Bilt theres a chasm between the GEFS and ECM ensembles, I'd be minded to dump the GFS tonight, it can go to the Raspberries with a rubbish table near the toilets!

The GFS looks far too quick with flattening the pattern, not long now to the GFS 18hrs run, I would be shocked if that doesn't at least start edging towards the Euros.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'm surprised no one has picked up on the major snow event projected by the ECM on the 27th.

This is a major upgrade in snowfall potential.

When you consider the ECM is usually quite reserved in any snow forecast the area could easily be widened.

attachicon.gif1.png attachicon.gif2.png

I think there's a real risk of a major snow event affecting northern England/Scotland. 

Very true, Ian F did just mention about the threat further north with the NW/N flank of the low *poss* heralding some snow. Further South some backedge sleet/snow possible with elevation could get a dusting, going on ECM/UKMO output, then as flow could turn E behind, could be a window for wintry showers to those in E/SE from the East. 

EDIT- Cheese Rice just seen the pictures you posted show Friday 9pm and Sat 3am, dpes it go out any further?

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1