Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion; into 2015

martthefart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

The GFS model has certainly shown up some interesting wintry possibilities ( and that is all they are at the moment, possibilities) in FI over the last few days. It will be interesting if

a, It keeps displaying these possibilties

b,  Brings them inside the 240 range

c, if it manages to get to point b then will the ECM start displaying such possibilties?

Getting a half decent cold spell to the UK is always like pulling teeth. So I think its a case of coldies having to keep everything crossed.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Once again a very Wintry/Stormy run from the GFSP, With severe gale force winds snow/blizzards effecting the North with heavy rain at times spreading S/E over the UK. With a cool sometimes cold N/W Pm flow, It will feel bitter in the driving rain/sleet & snow.  A very traditional January affair, With plenty of Winter Storms to contend with.

gfsnh-0-144.png?12gfsnh-0-240.png?12gfsnh-0-288.png?12

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Its just another agonising waiting game for coldies isnt it, as usual. Both GFS's tonight for example arent great in FI. As far as I can see they are showing a very similar pattern to what happened on Boxing Day and the Atlantic high soon being pushed away over us :(

One set of runs though, and at those time frames its best just to enjoy the fact that they are still showing amplification. Trends :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Not liking the gfs and ukmo tonight. Some very damaging winds on that output along with heavy rain. Very jan 2014 on those charts. Hopefully downgrades over the coming days. But with the cold flooding out of u.s I fear we are going to see a lot of damage if tonight's output verifys.

Posted

Not liking the gfs and ukmo tonight. Some very damaging winds on that output along with heavy rain. Very jan 2014 on those charts. Hopefully downgrades over the coming days. But with the cold flooding out of u.s I fear we are going to see a lot of damage if tonight's output verifys.

Wouldn't be complaining about this though would ya ; ) (in the unlikely event it verified.)

gfs-2-264.png?12

• Like 2

Its just another agonising waiting game for coldies isnt it, as usual. Both GFS's tonight for example arent great in FI. As far as I can see they are showing a very similar pattern to what happened on Boxing Day and the Atlantic high soon being pushed away over us :(

One set of runs though, and at those time frames its best just to enjoy the fact that they are still showing amplification. Trends :)

GFS 12Z OP latter stages are very encouraging indeed with a russian high and a weakening atlantic, great potential for snowfall for snow starved southerners.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 4

Posted

I wouldn't have much faith in trend shown by the GFS (of mid-Atlantic ridging) until there is greater certainty on the MJO. The GFS was on its own (excluding 1 or 2 lesser models) in progressing through to phase 7; whereas the ECM has it dying a death in phase 6. Unfortunately the GFS charts are down. If the MJO struggles to make much progression, as the case has been through this winter, then something akin to the end December seems more likely. Sadly i see little support for any sustained cold, short or long term  

JanENMJOphase6all500mb.gif

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

GFS 12Z OP latter stages are very encouraging indeed with a russian high and a weakening atlantic, great potential for snowfall for snow starved southerners.

Well if the 'bigger picture' is looking good then thats a bonus. We need all the help we can get i think!

My comment was really just looking at what the high does to our west, i hadnt looked at the NH view. Its a case of watching the MJO I think with regards to our high. When does FI end for the MJO? Are those plots any more accurate than other parts of models? For example, the strat forecasts are deemed to be more accurate for longer into FI than trop. When can we start to firm up on the signal to 7 or not?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

GEFS perturbation 3 is the best...

gensnh-3-1-312.pnggensnh-3-1-324.pnggensnh-3-1-336.pnggensnh-3-1-348.pnggensnh-3-1-360.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

GEFS perturbation 3 is the best...

gensnh-3-1-312.pnggensnh-3-1-324.pnggensnh-3-1-336.pnggensnh-3-1-348.pnggensnh-3-1-360.png

It's good, but it's not quite Carling! (unlike the latest CFS run below that has us locked in the freezer from mid February until April!?

A re-run of 2013 Anyone?

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=1044&mode=0&carte=1&run=3

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/cfse_cartes.php?ech=1044&mode=2&carte=1&run=3

All just for fun of course  :D  :D  :D

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Am I missing something here,  1-3c at 6 am in the morning in the middle of Jan, is hardly dream material is :D

LOL yes you were missing something, it was more about the very wintry synoptics developing with Greenland height rises, a blocked Atlantic, a large scandi trough and our weather coming from between north and east for many days.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

I read a post this morning saying there was no sign of a change in the 10-15 day period based on the anomalies. My reply to this would be you need to look at all the available data because in my opinion that isn't the case.

But dave, the current expected fi cold snap is just outside the 10-15 day mean... So currently theres no discrepancy between the (pretty reliable) anomaly charts and the other data. If theres going to be this mid atlantic ridge, it will show on the noaa 500mb charts before long.

• Like 3

Posted

But dave, the current expected fi cold snap is just outside the 10-15 day mean... So currently theres no discrepancy between the (pretty reliable) anomaly charts and the other data. If theres going to be this mid atlantic ridge, it will show on the noaa 500mb charts before long.

15th Jan is around the period of change which is 11 days away.

This date has consistently been suggested by the GFS/GEFS.

• Like 3

Posted

15th Jan is around the period of change which is 11 days away.

This date has consistently been suggested by the GFS/GEFS.

Its not currently looking good for this change then! :p

Ill believe it when the anoms show it or/and when it reaches a semi reliable timeframe. The first lesson i learned when joining here ten years ago is dont believe fi... Watch it, but dont have high expectations as it more often then not leads to disappoint

Edited by mushymanrob
  • Like 7

Posted

Something strange on the gefs mean is the week 2 migration of the Aleutian vortex along the length of Asia to a favoured spot this winter of nw Siberia. It's not so much a migration as a mean stretching of the vortex along almost the whole of Russia. of course it won't end up like that as its a mean but it's a direction of travel for the low heights we are yet to see this winter.

there are evolutions out there through week 2 which would see this as part of the jigsaw to icebound nirvana for Europe. We won't go there for the time being as it's currently too diffuse on the perturbs and probably just a coincidence of the varying patterns at play.

• Like 7

Posted

Tonight's ECM 12z op run shows milder and colder airmasses trading blows but IMO the cold air, although not delivering a knockout blow, wins on points tonight with frequent polar maritime incursions, especially further north. It's a very unsettled outlook with occasionally very strong winds and heavy rain but cold enough at times for wintry showers and frosty nights, the south has the best of any fine weather between depressions.

post-4783-0-79231200-1420398990_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-30429100-1420399001_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-33136900-1420399013_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-05660800-1420399024_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Tonight's ECM 12z op run shows milder and colder airmasses trading blows but IMO the cold air, although not delivering a knockout blow, wins on points tonight with frequent polar maritime incursions, especially further north. It's a very unsettled outlook with occasionally very strong winds and heavy rain but cold enough at times for wintry showers and frosty nights, the south has the best of any fine weather between depressions.

Yeah looks like we are going to escape the worst excesses of an atlantic pattern, azores high shifts around  from side to side to our south helping to pull in various airmasses but we avoid the toasty deeply sourced airmasses apart from later on friday/early saturday which is very transient.

• Like 2

Posted

Except when mild SW,lys are showing. :p

Only kidding mate.

Lol.... Maybe, but mild southwesterlies are more likely to verify, no probs dave..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

News from IF re latest UK Met: 

fergieweather
New @metoffice data indicates no major Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) is likely to occur "in the forseeable future". Moreover (cont'd)
04/01/2015 19:51

fergieweather
Cont'd... they note their monthly and seasonal modelling from back on Dec 27 dismissed the prospect. They add that a... (cont'd)
04/01/2015 19:53

fergieweather
Cont'd (3)...minor warming will be of minor significance, & resurgence of Polar Vortex/Polar Night Jet through nxt 2 weeks to 'near-normal'
04/01/2015 19:57

fergieweather
(4) Finally, they add "The model ouput of other reputable forecasting organisations is also in agreement with the Met Office model trends."
04/01/2015 19:59

fergieweather
(5) The @metoffice view re stratospheric situation was valid as of 1400hrs today. Clearly, the rest of winter cannot be forecast in detail.
04/01/2015 20:03

I suppose that puts that to bed for this month.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 7

Posted

Lol.... Maybe, but mild southwesterlies are more likely to verify, no probs dave..

Not much of that on tonight's ecm run mushy.

:-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Not much hope of something cold being given to us by the models or from an SSW then.

I might start buying the daily express as a source of hope to cling onto! :-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The "Seesaw" temperatures continue to be modelled by the gfs and ecm in the days ahead with some very volatile weather in picticular during later this week especially for Northern Britain. Any real eyefest for cold is at the moment in FI, but the middle of January at the moment looks pivitol for a colder change in synoptics :yahoo:  :good:  :shok:

post-6830-0-56998200-1420402217_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-19681100-1420402264_thumb.pn

• Like 2