Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 16th Jan 12z onwards - Smile While You Post!

Paul

Posted

People saying only snow for the north???

Please revisit after you understand what implications the surface cold pool has....

UKMO is decent for snow for the whole spine of the UK...

GFS starting to amplify at 120-150 but not enough this run..

S

This, I'd agree with those saying no snow on low ground... if we didn't have that surface cold pool already in place. It's going to get very very cold during Sunday night. I'd still say anywhere North of m4 is good for snow, though may be transient for a while in West Midlands and Wales as they see the warmest part of the warm sector.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

GFS 6h and 12h for Thurs 7am

gfs-0-120.png?6gfs-0-114.png?12

Slightly strong heights over Greenland with westward correction of low to the south.

Scandi heights marginally stronger and slightly further NW. Low over southern UK slightly further north...

Wonder if the Scandi heights can find a way to link up with Greenland heights down the line with weaker LP putting up less of a fight against the heights to our N/E? If so we could end up with a slider?

Would I be right in thinking we would have snow showers piling in off the N.Sea for the east and South East if this came off ??

• Like 1

Posted

We'll since the low point of yesterday's UKMO 12z and GFS 18z we have made little steps on each subsequent fun for these two models. This mornings ECM was also step better than Friday evenings run.

Nothing too dramatic, but certainly a little more hope from me that we can squeeze a couple more days out of this cld spell until next weekend.

So with that being said, I fully intend to enjoy the moment and the hunt for small scale features has begun... Starting with a little disturbance drifting down the EA and Sunday evening..

Posted

Please revisit after you understand what implications the surface cold pool has....

UKMO is decent for snow for the whole spine of the UK...

GFS starting to amplify at 120-150 but not enough this run..

S

Assuming you were replying to my post, please can you illustrate this surface cold pool with a chart? Once the winds add an easterly component, yes it gets cold enough, but by then much of the precip has gone. For much of this week the airmass is maritime based not CP.

also, I did not say snow ONLY for the North. In terms of a big snow event though it ain't being shown at the moment and given what is a PM airmass for the next three or four days I simply cannot see a low ground widespread snow event. If by midweek one has occured then you can question my understanding... Not before!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

it's ok GFS saves the day

gfsnh-0-300.png?12

Pheeewwwww  8)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Assuming you were replying to my post, please can you illustrate this surface cold pool with a chart? Once the winds add an easterly component, yes it gets cold enough, but by then much of the precip has gone. For much of this week the airmass is maritime based not CP.

also, I did not say snow ONLY for the North. In terms of a big snow event though it ain't being shown at the moment and given what is a PM airmass for the next three or four days I simply cannot see a low ground widespread snow event. If by midweek one has occured then you can question my understanding... Not before!

From the way I read them, all the models show both fronts moving through as mainly snow for all, there are numerous charts to illustrate this. Metoffice and BBC both have forecasts saying the fronts will stall trying to push through and turn readily to snow also.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

If only this would come to pass, can you imagine...the entire country enjoying snow

This place would be either bedlam, or quiet as we'd all be out dancing around like crazed kids waving hands in the air and zig zagging down the roads yelling and laughing. 

knowing my luck that would be the exact moment the local mental assylum van drove past and I'd be picked up and carted off to a crazy home before I'd even made my first snow woman :-)

gfs_2_348_png_12.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Not strictly true.

The 12Z GFS shows rain with back edge snow except Scotland.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015011712/gfs-2-72.png?12

Next front is more in the way of snow.

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2015011712/gfs-2-96.png?12

Also Met O forecast for E Anglia refers to rain/sleet for next Mon-Wed.

At the moment there is not enough evidence to suggest a widespread snow event or enough to rule one out. The fact is we don't know and won't until nearer the time.

Of course we don't know yet either way, but looking at a variety of ppn charts for both days, I have read them falling mainly as snow (maybe the first one turning to rain for a time) with a fairly widespread snow event from both. This of course, may change. Meto UK forecast I have seen suggests snow for many - as did the latest BBC forecast I just saw. Time, as always, will tell - it's gonna be nowcasting on the day in all honesty.

Edited by i luv snow
  • Like 2

Posted

Chalk and cheese, however, even if the UKMO turns out right a Northerly would follow a couple of days later. Whilst there is no deep cold modelled at present, things will stay below average for most.

I can't see a Northerly appearing at all on the UKMO, for anyone who wants any real cold to continue the UKMO is awful to say the least.

The GFS reintroduce the slider possibility but with the cold air getting mixed out, its not something that would excite me a great deal but its got more snow potential than the UKMO would. 

All in all, pretty bog standard charts after a cold start to the week with the risk of some frontal snow which may even turn too marginal for a lot of areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

If only this would come to pass, can you imagine...the entire country enjoying snow

This place would be either bedlam, or quiet as we'd all be out dancing around like crazed kids waving hands in the air and zig zagging down the roads yelling and laughing. 

knowing my luck that would be the exact moment the local mental assylum van drove past and I'd be picked up and carted off to a crazy home before I'd even made my first snow woman :-)

gfs_2_348_png_12.png

Brilliant even us southerners get in..

Posted

All fair enough Steve.

So we're sort of agreeing then really, as there is a real possibility of just rain of sleet (or non settling snow) in the SE, SW, South, South Midlands (I'd add parts of EA as well).

By day 5 no issues as we have a proper easterly drag and theta values nicely down by that point.

Of course it could all change for better or worse.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Just some basics that folk new to model watching might to look out for when considering whether we will more likely get rain or snow and whether the cold can be more sustained.

We want to see the sliding low push South without stalling to the North too much as this would degrade heights to the NE and mix in less cold air.

Also if the pattern can be backed West then that will benefit us as well.

Looking at GFS 12z ensembles they are somewhat improved upon recent efforts re any Easterly prospect or lengthening of the cold, these runs are also generally the ones that have a clean slider with better upstream pattern allowing for a second slider and Atlantic ridge reaching into Scandi and strengthening heights to the NE, basically a reload of the current pattern.

GFS short ensembles. Central England

graphe3_1000_252_81___.gif

If you compare the 00z, 06z and these 12z you will see that the cold air has slowly been programmed to last 24 hours longer in 12 hour steps. Not much but for a mean not bad and a positive trend.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

gfs_2_348_png_12.png

Indeed I don't expect any here anyway but am instead looking for an easterly.

But the rest of the country looks good if you get the frontal system near you then most certainly snow event.

And the models tonight are dam site better than last night in fact the whole of yesterday.

But I have my fingers crossed for that little extra insurance for us on the south coast.

Still a cold week coming up with plenty of interesting twists and turns to come.

• Like 1

Posted

Just some basics that folk new to model watching might to look out for when considering whether we will more likely get rain or snow and whether the cold can be more sustained.

We want to see the sliding low push South without stalling to the North too much as this would degrade heights to the NE and mix in less cold air.

Also if the pattern can be backed West then that will benefit us as well.

Looking at GFS 12z ensembles they are somewhat improved upon recent efforts re any Easterly prospect or lengthening of the cold, these runs are also generally the ones that have a clean slider with better upstream pattern allowing for a second slider and Atlantic ridge reaching into Scandi and strengthening heights to the NE, basically a reload of the current pattern.

GFS short ensembles. Central England

graphe3_1000_252_81___.gif

If you compare the 00z, 06z and these 12z you will see that the cold air has slowly been programmed to last 24 hours longer in 12 hour steps. Not much but for a mean not bad and a positive trend.

those are brilliant ensembles mucka! Contorl and op massive outliers towardw the end although very worrying that they both together on it!!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

S

erm... thought that was you? " north midlands northward " .... :unsure2: 

never mind...

whats needed to prolong the cold spell and turn it into a proper event is for pressure to build and sit over scandinavia, the azores high is largely immaterial in such situations . theres time yet for pressure to anchor over there, but its not expected to.

• Like 4

Posted

I alluded to this the other day though...Isn't the new gfs op now hi res out to t276 now so would be better at medium term than gefs which go low res at t192 still? Skewed comparisons now maybe till q3?

Think it's high res to 240 :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Snow for the SE at the moment from the two fronts crossing Tuesday and Wednesday based on the GEFS remains about 30%. Today's runs around 30-35%, no better for snow chances (0z, 6z & 12z). There are a handful that are not far off giving snow and there are of course three outliers there, that do not even model the slider. Two of the parameters highlighted here:

Heights (DAM) post-14819-0-43803700-1421516744_thumb.p 850s: post-14819-0-04638400-1421516745_thumb.p

Fine margins.

So the SE is still in the game for snow but very borderline though still nearly three days to go. The further west or North you live the better the chances, eg 55% Birmingham and Leeds 75%.

Edited by i'm dreaming of...
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

those are brilliant ensembles mucka! Contorl and op massive outliers towardw the end although very worrying that they both together on it!!

Yeah definitely a slow improvement Shaky.

As for FI there is no signal for any sustained blocking but a strong signal for a Southerly jet.

This suggests further bouts of cold zonal conditions with any milder spells limited and the Azores high generally being pinned to the West so any lengthy settled or mild weather looks very unlikely.

It also suggests there will be further attempts to build ridge, especially toward the West (Atlantic region) so possible cold snaps within less cold zonal conditions(though average or a little below) seems the form of horse going into Feb at the moment.

Full Central England ensembles (GFS 12z)

graphe3_1000_257_86___.gif

• Like 2

Posted

And tonight's award goes to ptrb 2 of the GEFS

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?code=2&ech=312&mode=0&carte=0

Maybe not quite cobra, but certainly still premium lager :-)

Although the return of the Atlantic still looks likely, it's not as certain as yesterday and it may well be that the opp runs are still being too progressive.

Posted

I alluded to this the other day though...Isn't the new gfs op now hi res out to t276 now so would be better at medium term than gefs which go low res at t192 still? Skewed comparisons now maybe till q3?...ensembles always following the new op now maybe?

It is a reasonable observation but any trend within the ensemble mean is not really affected by the Op, especially since the Op actually goes against the trend.

Hard to say the Op is more reliable when each run is different from the last as well.

It is something worth considering though.

• Like 1