Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

yeah clearly shown on meteociel, for my location, and looking at that precip chart earlier, snow followed by rain for west, all snow for shaky and crew

Familiar theme this winter, any lying snow that's fallen washed away by 9am the following morning every time or melted due to temps staying around 1-2c.

Cheshire Gap exploding now, hoping to get some heavy stuff before milder air moves in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Doubt it unfortunately, milder upper's moving down around 3am.

Okay, since this seems to be the only way I'm going to get lying snow this winter... I'm off into the back garden to build a 300-metre-high hill. Back in a jiffy!

• Like 1

Posted

midlandssnow18z_zps39d61978.png

But it shows colder upper moving down??

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=netwx-sr;sess=

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

I've watched 3 heavy snow showers move through the Cheshire gap over Manchester and the peaks,only to fizzle out by the time they reach here.We've had a dusting of snow in the last few hours but still a fair covering from last night.

Posted

How many times has milder pockets of air in the middle of the night ruined events for us now this winter?

Posted

Ahh I stand corrected, I was looking at the wrong charts. It's marginal in the extreme for us and the freezing level is around 300m.

But one never knows :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

What...again? Oh come on!

I know...... whatever happen to the nights when snow was suppose to happen more often compared to the daytime :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow snow and more snow hate the summer !!

Its snowed again here for a few seconds leaving sugar coating again xxx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

So hows things looking tonite guys reading comments it looks like a repeat performance of last nite how did nmm look.

Posted

I know...... whatever happen to the nights when snow was suppose to happen more often compared to the daytime :doh:

whatever happened to global warming causing more severe Arctic outbursts too. I remember us getting snows from northerlies quite often in the 80s and even 90s, not the wishbone effect gobbles up anything of use.

And there do seem to be more and more warm sectors about in the mix nowadays, very disheartening, but at least I got to walk in 1" deep snow today, so I'm a bit happier :-)

(that's the other thing, the signature of the 'even larger teapot' period was slushy 1" snowfall that melted by mid morning in this part of the word, I really hope we've not gone back to those days. But if we have, can we please have the long, hot, thundery summers back too? :-D)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Just to clarify this warmer sector is by no means as strong as last night , just had a good scroll through the euro4 and uppers never go lower than -4/5 , thickness looks ok to me , due points -0 and very very briefly 1c . That could be ok given surface temps are at the lowest by then , could be down to evaporative cooling but I expect that to be snow .

Also just watched the bbc weather and there graphics for 11pm are 100% wrong . The ppn to our northwest has got the Midlands name on it . It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this ppn would have to make a dramatic u turn to make it to the east . Maybe the stuff up north toward eastern Scotland will stretch down the East side of uk , that's more feeseble but if that lot doesn't fizzle then it's coming our way .

Edited by Severe Siberian icy blast
  • Like 2

Posted

So hows things looking tonite guys reading comments it looks like a repeat performance of last nite how did nmm look.

Don't think the snowfall itself will be as heavy as last night. Could be scuppered by slightly warmer air yet again. Notice that dew points are just above freezing in Northern Ireland and the very south western tip of Scotland.

So an early dusting that might be gone by dawn...again.

Posted

Don't think the snowfall itself will be as heavy as last night. Could be scuppered by slightly warmer air yet again. Notice that dew points are just above freezing in Northern Ireland and the very south western tip of Scotland.

The dew point were slightly higher in those places last night, so it bodes well. Remember they'll be modified near to the coasts so cannot be taken as being the same this far away from the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Whew... if that little lot can't produce snow here then I'm going to start looking forward to balmy spring days. Angle of attack is perfect and there's plenty of it. Shouldn't fizzle entirely, but will it be snow? Nailbiting stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Just to clarify this warmer sector is by no means as strong as last night , just had a good scroll through the euro4 and uppers never go lower than -4/5 , thickness looks ok to me , due points -0 and very very briefly 1c . That could be ok given surface temps are at the lowest by then , could be down to evaporative cooling but I expect that to be snow .

Also just watched the bbc weather and there graphics for 11pm are 100% wrong . The ppn to our northwest has got the Midlands name on it . It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this ppn would have to make a dramatic u turn to make it to the east . Maybe the stuff up north toward eastern Scotland will stretch down the East side of uk , that's more feeseble but if that lot doesn't fizzle then it's coming our way .

The showers to the north of me are constantly dying out before they get to me.moving very slowly SE.if I don't get anything I can't see anything making it to you guys.Sorry to put a dampener on things!!

Posted

Oh no not the dreaded midlands mild sector we cant seem to get rid of it this winter. Just checked met and it shows snow all through hope thats a good omen

Posted

Some very nice developments to the northwest near Liverpool/North Wales :-)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Does show precipitation and wind direction being pushed more eastwards as it hits North Wales, could mean more for the central Midlands.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2015/01/31/0000Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-0.98,51.37,3000

Posted

Gone very frosty & icy here. With the slight snow cover, the temps should be plummeting, so that should help with the next band!

• Like 1

Posted

Wow. Heavy snow just started just like that. Literally like someone switching a switch! Settling within seconds!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

That's funny? Light snow falling here from a cloudless sky, it's leaving a dusting even though there's no precipitation showing within 40 miles of here??

Anyone else got that too?

• Like 2

Posted

Can you send smileys on the phone or is it just on the computer