South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Cloudy. Sunny at times.  20.0c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

20.8°C and Sunny spells, but, quite a bit of cloud has moved in.

This is what I fear for the majority of the week, it's not the ideal set up for a sunshine fest.

Temp maxes have been dropped by another degree for here, this week. At this rate, it won't surpass 24.4°C which I recorded on the 11th.

The microclimate needs to shows it's face this week! :laugh:

• Like 1

Posted

20.8°C and Sunny spells, but, quite a bit of cloud has moved in.

The microclimate needs to shows it's face this week! :laugh:

HaHa, got you beat, at 21.6C, maybe the microclimate has moved eastwards  :oops:

• Like 2

Posted

HaHa, got you beat, at 21.6C, maybe the microclimate has moved eastwards  :oops:

It's plain to see that the temps are being underestimated for our part of Dorset, already.

The hi-res has 18°C to 19°C for us at 13:00, under 10°C uppers, and we're both recording around the 21°C mark.

post-15177-0-24361500-1435577978_thumb.ppost-15177-0-66331100-1435577974_thumb.p

This time tomorrow, the hi-res shows 15°C to 16°C uppers, temps around 22°C to 23°C

post-15177-0-66766000-1435577980_thumb.ppost-15177-0-39732100-1435577983_thumb.p

Shall we make a punt at recording 25°C to 26°C ?

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yep, a lovely warm summer's day....Lyneham max temp of 24.6C at 3pm

Posted

So its already 24.2°C warmer than forecast and most local currently 24°C as well lovely!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Max temp 25.3C in central Soton today. Wondering if we'll be able to beat the station record of 32C on Friday. Shame I'll be stuck in the office.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Well first off our area stands a good chance of some of the action heres wishing we get a good show .

Off topic but i,v a question .

over the last week to ten days from my location which is winscombe north somerset i have viewed out towards my south east some sort of light show ,almost like some one shining a powerfull torch into the sky .

or quite possibly some sort of lazer .i have viewed this as late as 2.30am ,it seems to follow a pattern so probably controled on a timer etc .

last night there was some thin cloud around and some very silvery streaks every few minutes .

my wife thinks glastonbury or it could be from higher up on the mendips .

Any info from other posters would be appreciated with thanks legritter .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

24c here today too. Makes me think we can add 2 or 3c on tomorrow and the rest of this week too!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

I once saw the lights of Boomtown (Matterley Bowl) from the hill behind my house. It's easily 10m as the crow flies. Had me puzzled for a while :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Interested in your question, legritter.  You have just described something similar to what I saw last week when I was having a look for the aurora.  I'm definitely to the SE of you and what I saw was to my NNW.  It looked like an oval patch of white light that moved around.  There was no obvious beam of light either above or below it and when I told my OH about it in the morning (he was snoring and I didn't like to wake him!) he was intrigued and wondered if it was a UFO!  It was about 1.15-1.30 when I saw it, just that one evening.  Could it have been testing lights at Glastonbury?  It would appear that a line from your village to mine would be very close to going through that area.  Doubt that we shall ever know for sure, but I'm glad that I was not alone in my viewing!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

It's plain to see that the temps are being underestimated for our part of Dorset, already.

The hi-res has 18°C to 19°C for us at 13:00, under 10°C uppers, and we're both recording around the 21°C mark.

attachicon.gifviewimage (3).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (2).png

This time tomorrow, the hi-res shows 15°C to 16°C uppers, temps around 22°C to 23°C

attachicon.gifviewimage (4).pngattachicon.gifviewimage (5).png

Shall we make a punt at recording 25°C to 26°C ?

Don't rely on NMM temperature forecast, they're underestimated by a good few °C!

Posted

Well first off our area stands a good chance of some of the action heres wishing we get a good show .

Off topic but i,v a question .

over the last week to ten days from my location which is winscombe north somerset i have viewed out towards my south east some sort of light show ,almost like some one shining a powerfull torch into the sky .

or quite possibly some sort of lazer .i have viewed this as late as 2.30am ,it seems to follow a pattern so probably controled on a timer etc .

last night there was some thin cloud around and some very silvery streaks every few minutes .

my wife thinks glastonbury or it could be from higher up on the mendips .

Any info from other posters would be appreciated with thanks legritter .

I once saw the lights of Boomtown (Matterley Bowl) from the hill behind my house. It's easily 10m as the crow flies. Had me puzzled for a while :)

Interested in your question, legritter.  You have just described something similar to what I saw last week when I was having a look for the aurora.  I'm definitely to the SE of you and what I saw was to my NNW.  It looked like an oval patch of white light that moved around.  There was no obvious beam of light either above or below it and when I told my OH about it in the morning (he was snoring and I didn't like to wake him!) he was intrigued and wondered if it was a UFO!  It was about 1.15-1.30 when I saw it, just that one evening.  Could it have been testing lights at Glastonbury?  It would appear that a line from your village to mine would be very close to going through that area.  Doubt that we shall ever know for sure, but I'm glad that I was not alone in my viewing!!!

glastonbury had some huge skyscanners running this year ...it could of well been them .. i have seen lightshows as far as stourhead gardens to trowbridge...

• Like 1

Posted

Just a mediocre 21.7°C here today.

Pulled the same 21.8C. Noticed a change in wind direction this morning, wind in from the NNE - NE, so things may well warm up with an offshore breeze. Wind seems to be slowly veering to ENE.

Currently 11.8C

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

I can confirm this, I was out with my mates at a party after my school prom and I was nr Chew Valley Lake and I spotted a moving light oval shape in the sky and I've seen this various nights I know what your on about!

Currently 13.8'c here as I speak.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Had 23.1c yesterday which if used as a guide should give us here 27c today...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

good morning all ,fantastic clear skys and just a little breeze to start the day .

I would like to thank the posters who answered my question regarding lights etc ,these were not visible last night ,whether or not this was because of the lack of cloudcover or the lack of the source but cheers anyhow .

well as far as storms are concerned the met office at the moment seem to be keeping a low profile for our area ,but in these set ups they can pop up quickly so keep an eye on the radar ,late tomorrow and through to saturday should produce so lets hope we are in the sweet spot ,thanks again enjoy this plume its been a long time coming . :drinks:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all.

Just hit 25c

Fromey

Posted

Pure blue skies and 22.5°C - Humidity at 53%, so not hot and not humid. It's also blowing a hoolie here.

• Like 1

Posted

The clearest sky since some of those anticyclonic days in April.

No laser like lights observed here, but a lack of sleep not due to heat but a non military helicopter that circled Warminster for about an hour from 1.30-2.30am! However the nearly full moon looked awesome at that time.