Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted

If there is to be rain on Friday as I've heard people saying I hope it comes in the evening...was disappointed last Friday had half day and was looking forward to a few beers in the pub garden but it was cloudy and chilly.hoping for a better afternoon lots of sunshine this Friday.Don't like the sound of a possible cold spell either want it to stay sunny and don't want cold weather but if there is to be any storms I'll happily take that.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Radar shows nothing but we've got dark cloud over Leeds and the feel of a shower near.

What are conditions like atmospherically or should I expect nothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

It's surprisingly humid out thee.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Tomorrow looks better, temperatures still hitting the mid/high teens in the south with a reasonable amount of instability as pressure falls throughout the day.

Modest cape values

nmmuk-6-36-0.png?24-13

Posted

will be out and about tomorrow for the first little "chase" of the season, though not expecting much.

Still, gives me time to play with my new lens AND my new GoPro:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

will be out and about tomorrow for the first little "chase" of the season, though not expecting much.

Still, gives me time to play with my new lens AND my new GoPro:D

Hehe reminds me that I got my fish-eye lens last year on the 18th July which was the night of the huge wall cloud and epic storm across Kent and the South West, but I was so tired after the storm the night before I slept through the whole ruddy thing and I haven't had a proper chance to use it since.

Darnit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

The GFS 18Z run is suggesting that there maybe some convection tomorrow for southern and eastern areas and parts of Cornwall, with some slight atmospheric instabilities and low-to-moderate CAPE values. Coupled with that there also appears to be some decently steep lapse rates too, so some sharp showers with the odd rumble of thunder definately can't be ruled out.

post-21671-0-51240000-1429916134_thumb.p post-21671-0-96071900-1429916134_thumb.p post-21671-0-34741400-1429916135_thumb.p

Edited by Thunderbolt_

Posted

Hehe reminds me that I got my fish-eye lens last year on the 18th July which was the night of the huge wall cloud and epic storm across Kent and the South West, but I was so tired after the storm the night before I slept through the whole ruddy thing and I haven't had a proper chance to use it since.

Darnit!

Oh man that sucks:/

I feel your pain though, I really wanted to capture some long exposures last summer and those couple of nights in July were my best chance....shame I was out of the country that week:(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

cheers Nick, a quality forecast as ever  :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sun breaking through now and it is noticeably warm...sitting here revising and a lovely breeze blowing through. Should be some energy up there for a storm or two, though alas I'm likely to be sandwiched between the two areas of interest to my North (N London/Midlands) and the South later (Southern coastal counties per Nick F's forecast)

Still...its the first real prospective day of 2015 for me of seeing at least some Cb formations  :D

Edited by Harry

Posted

Nice looking cloudscapes out there, today may be the first 'banger' it has been a slow and monotone start to the year. As the threat of snow has all but receded - now we move onto summer plumes and all that jazz. :D

Posted

Nice looking cloudscapes out there, today may be the first 'banger' it has been a slow and monotone start to the year. As the threat of snow has all but receded - now we move onto summer plumes and all that jazz. :D

Indeed, radar image showing some convective rainfall breaking out up north though, although no sparks so far.

Looking briefly worldwide, some eye opening storms across SE USA and off of the SE coast of Aus at the moment - the activity from the SE Aus storms in particular is impressive for storms over the seas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Some really intense showers here now,just can't believe there's nothing electrical as yet.It feels really humid in the sunshine.

Posted

Some really intense showers here now,just can't believe there's nothing electrical as yet.It feels really humid in the sunshine.

We have sparks now across E/NE England.

Posted

Most of them missing to the north of here, we have had some moderate showers.

A small chance of some of these turning thundery as the band moves south with showers continue moving from SW to NE along it. Most of the forecasts are favouring areas south of the Midlands for anything thundery. 

It has been a very quiet April so far for convective activity, but maybe some chances in the last few days of the month, although nothing overly spectacular.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Some cells near Skeggy producing sferics and a possible cell starting to fire in Norfolk.

post-7331-0-07997900-1429982714_thumb.jp

Posted

One word Lincolnshire,

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ha yes,  and so the Lincolnshire storm season begins,    as for the rest of us do we really have a season ?, here its just a couple of days annually 

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yesterday's convective potential not quite going according to plan, with alot of cloud and rain spreading in from the southwest hampering a convergence zone and thus convective potential across the south, though we did see some storms across Lincs as usual!

Chance for Scotland and NE England to catch some thundery showers today with a risk of hail as some rather cold air aloft spreads south in the north, creating steep lapse rates :

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=f9a46283029c2f8f5ae88ee2700d2171

Coming week looks to see the classic set-up of sunshine and April showers in the northwesterly flow, with some scattered weak thunderstorms and some hail in places, some nice crisp convective skies to admire.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2