Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 01/03/15 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Estofex largely as I had expected to be honest...Kent clipper the best realistic chance. Could be quite a painful watch as no doubt an immense blob will charge towards us during the night and veer off over Benelux. Although estofex even doubtful how much oomph it will have in reaching Benelux.

Look forward to seeing experts' views later on...I note SE quarter under a 15%, echoing Dan's views on Convective Weather (formerly UKASF which I only learned yesterday).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather storm forecast covering the overnight/Tuesday morning period of most interest with the unstable plume pushing north across parts of England and Wales overnight.

THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST

post-1052-0-75211600-1430726910_thumb.pn

Valid: 04/05/2015 1200z to 05/05/2015 1200z

Synopsis

During the forecast period upper trough is slow-moving to the west of the UK, with a deep surface low to the west of Ireland slowly sinking south, while a secondary low to the west of Portugal at the base of the upper trough, moves NE across the Bay of Biscay and deepens as it approaches SW UK.

... ENGLAND AND WALES ...

A plume of warm and moist boundary layer air of sub-tropical origin will spread north across Iberia and France today in a warm sector ahead of deepening low moving NE across the Bay of Biscay. This plume will push north across England and Wales tonight behind a warm front arriving across southern England later this evening. The seasonally high wet-bulb potential temperature of the moist plume (theta-w values of 14C+) advecting north will become modestly unstable overnight as increasingly cold air in the mid-levels spreads NE aloft steepening lapse rates. Also increasingly dry air in the mid to upper levels of the troposphere will spread NE which further help destabilise the plume.

Increasingly divergent air aloft as left exit region of strong SWly jet approaches Sern Britain, falling pressure/heights from the SW and cold front moving in from the SW will all create forced ascent of the plume ... which will support mainly elevated convection embedded in rainfall spreading north along fronts and in warm sector ahead of depression moving NNE across western UK early Tuesday.

Elevated thunderstorms are possible from this embedded convection spreading north early Tuesday morning, deep layer shear of 40-50knts will allow organisation of storms in multi-cell clusters, with a risk hail, gusty winds and torrential rain leading to localised flooding. Although confidence in coverage of storms overnight into Tuesday morning is low, there appears to be enough low-end potential for severe weather ... mainly risk of strong wind gusts and risk of flooding, with any storms across Sern and Ern England ... where lift will be maximised towards left exit of jet and triple point of fronts moving NE. So have given a marginal risk of severe weather (5-10% risk of damaging wind gusts and flooding) for these areas.

These storms will clear NE across England and out into the North Sea during Tuesday morning, as cold front moves NE and introduces cooler and more stable conditions behind it.

Issued by Nick Finnis

Forecast issued here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=9f43849247ce404d39fd40e19ddacfcf

• Like 9

Posted

Thanks NickF/W09 - I stand corrected with my over-pessimism.

Roll on tonight (and the snooker, of course!!)

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunshine and thunderstorms. Mild in winter.

Hmm very interesting, especially during the night hours.

Posted

Thanks NickF/W09 - I stand corrected with my over-pessimism.

Roll on tonight (and the snooker, of course!!)

Think I'd rather watch the radar than the snooker - as the latter will probably send me into a coma!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

There is certainly enough from the models to give some hope of something thundery tonight, though there is nothing so far coming from the metoffice/bbc.

Oh well time to enjoy the pleasant day ahead.

Posted

Liking the look of that forecast from Nick. I didn't expect to be even close to a thunderstorm risk zone tonight :)

Posted

If i remember rightly, the push of rain was progged by the BBC to move up across this area in the evening, rather than the early hours of the morning. Has it been pushed back a little?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If i remember rightly, the push of rain was progged by the BBC to move up across this area in the evening, rather than the early hours of the morning. Has it been pushed back a little?

According to them, it starts around 7pm and clears around 1am, here. Although, their track record for forecasting rain from the south has been poor of late, so anything could happen. :)

Posted

There is certainly enough from the models to give some hope of something thundery tonight, though there is nothing so far coming from the metoffice/bbc.

Oh well time to enjoy the pleasant day ahead.

If you listen to Carol Kirkwood's online forecast, she does point towards the risk of thunder

In my experience, listening to the 'chaps-in-the-know' on here is more reliable than the MetO/BBC when it comes to thundery events.

Posted

I will be deploying tonight right on the East Coast looking for decent Lightning Opportunities, Early Spring Elevated Storms are always some of the best for CG Lightning around the SE Of England.

Hoping to share some of what I get tonight on here tomorrow and hopefully its not a damp squib of frontal rains with embedded rumbles and something a little more lively

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm on the western flank of the 'warning zone' for severe weather, and will be watching the radar with interest this evening!

Posted

Having read the forecasts I'm lead to believe that the south west has a chance of storms tonight.would be good to have a proper storm just hope that if we do get anything it's not to late in the night as have work in the morning.

Posted

I will be deploying tonight right on the East Coast looking for decent Lightning Opportunities, Early Spring Elevated Storms are always some of the best for CG Lightning around the SE Of England.

Hoping to share some of what I get tonight on here tomorrow and hopefully its not a damp squib of frontal rains with embedded rumbles and something a little more lively

Good luck Paul!!

While I think of it, is there a thread anywhere which lists good video cameras for recording thunderstorms (day or night)...had some amazing storms over the last couple of years which stills didn't do justice.

Think I'd rather watch the radar than the snooker - as the latter will probably send me into a coma!

Nick, if there's storms the snooker wont get much of a look in I can assure you :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

At least we have something interesting for a wider area, though I suspect the SE quadrant will be the place to be for thundery activity?! The WRF shows convective precip clipping Kent and East Sussex.

Plenty of rain to come though..

post-15177-0-31411700-1430730590_thumb.ppost-15177-0-71514200-1430730597_thumb.p

post-15177-0-99459700-1430730606_thumb.ppost-15177-0-25392400-1430730616_thumb.p

I'll have a nice Southerly view from the pub tonight, couldn't be better timing! Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

I'm in a good location if anything does come up from the south but from what i remember last year we had this scenario at least 3 times and every time we just got a lot of rain overnight while the supercellular storms would continue trundling down eastwards along the northern Eueopean coast rather than crossing the channel...is there anything different about tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Paul,

This is of proper interest!!

Early morning though :/

attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-05-04-10-08-38.png

This would be amazing! A nice pre-work treat

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Got to go to work tomo but I'll be out and about and I'll take a pillow with me in case it's a late one :-D!

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc
  • Like 1

Posted

0100 and 0700 on the UKMO rainfall projections look interesting.

• Like 1

Posted

Surrey & Harry

Yh the Invent looks interesting from what follows the initial Cluster but with it getting light at 415am now hoping the early stuff delivers for Camera effective lightning, not to say that at Dawn you cant reel something off with an F16- F22 Setting but obviously harder than when light.

Good luck to all for the first real Plume Risk of the Season!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I think I'm too far west here for thundery activity but who knows? Even so, quite a lot of rain to fall tonight. I haven't seen this amount of rain forecast to fall for over a month!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

the current state of play (image © sat24

Things brewing to the SW over Biscay into western France

post-4149-0-53893900-1430734805_thumb.pn

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Hi William,

I was wondering if I'd see you back as storm season approaches :)

• Like 2