Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

It always seems to me like the last week of August is always cool and unsettled. I don't know of any instances where this hasn't been the case. Even in the hot August 1995, the last week was much cooler and fresher than the rest of the month...

That was true during the 1950s and '60s.  I remember the clear, sunny skies of early Septembers when I went back to school. The nastiest end to August I remember was 1963 (prior to 1967 the August Bank Holiday was at the beginning of the month), torrential rain that lasted most of the weekend.  The Monday - clear blue sky. September was warmer than much of summer and mostly sunny. Indeed I remember that on the second day of astronomical autumn, the 22nd, the afternoon temp was in the low '70s F under a clear blue sky - we used old money back then. Before anyone tries to quote me stats, I'm not really interested - this post comes from my memory and describes the conditions I experienced.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It always seems to me like the last week of August is always cool and unsettled. I don't know of any instances where this hasn't been the case. Even in the hot August 1995, the last week was much cooler and fresher than the rest of the month...

It does seem to be common doesn't it. In the last ten years, only 2005, 2007 and 2013 have had summery ends to August. Funnily enough I think 2008 had a drier last week of August compared to the rest of the month and before a return to unsettled conditions in September, but it wasn't particularly summery.

It will be interesting to see what the opening days of September bring. As you say, despite 2010 and 2011's unsettled nature, the opening days brought a temporary return to very pleasant and summery conditions. 

Posted

Last week of August 1991 was superb, also last week of August 1998 wasn't too bad.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Summer has well and truly collapsed around here, very Autumn feel yesterday and again this morning.

August has yet again been the big let down and this summer has fallen from decent, if unspectacular, to towards poor. Whereas we had brown grass June/July the lawn is now very much lush green and rampant and the weather is significantly less usable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

don't normally agree with Thunderbolt_, but I do agree the 2 miserable seasons to come, I mean who wants rain and 5C everyday, for 3 months, and 3 months before that 12C and rain

forum is more exciting mind you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Another August goes by in the NW Midlands without a hot/sunny spell, becoming less of a summer month as years go on, away from the SE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

August is running above average here - and it seems that we are the sunniest part of the country this month - so my perspective is totally different.

Plus, we have avoided the rain entirely - reached 20C yesterday and 19C today so once again beating BBC forecasts - and it seems that 20C should be reached every day this week. :D Actually looks reasonably sunny too - and dry. I'm seeing people complaining about how bad the weather is and I'm just left here thinking.. what?

However, from 1 September onwards I see highs of 16C, so perhaps autumn will arrive exactly on cue.

Edited by cheese

Posted

Another August goes by in the NW Midlands without a hot/sunny spell, becoming less of a summer month as years go on, away from the SE

Looks like another August that wont reach 25C once, only 2 since 2007 have. Between 1989 and 2007 only 2 failed to.

The days when August was a summer month seem like a distant memory now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Taking a sample of 7 Irish station, 1 for each coast and 3 inland, this August is currently running 1.1C below the 81-10 average of 14.9C up to the 23rd, with 82% of the monthly rain already fallen.

This comes after one of the coldest Julys in decades for many stations.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

No doubt the cold Atlantic this summer has helped at least a bit in giving ireland a cool summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

No doubt the cold Atlantic this summer has helped at least a bit in giving ireland a cool summer.

I thought the influence would have spread further east during August, hence my low CET guess. But it seems to have just stopped over Ireland. The July August combination could be one of the coldest on record for some stations

Posted

Looks like another August that wont reach 25C once, only 2 since 2007 have. Between 1989 and 2007 only 2 failed to.

The days when August was a summer month seem like a distant memory now....

Since 2007, we reached 25c in August in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and now 2015. Seems to me like Shawbury has crap summers for some reason.

We reached 30C only once in 2013 though - but by the same token 30C has only been reached in July twice (2013 and 2015) and twice in June (2011 and 2015). It's unusual because August usually delivers the hottest weather of the year - it certainly did in the 90s - mid 00s.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

don't normally agree with Thunderbolt_, but I do agree the 2 miserable seasons to come, I mean who wants rain and 5C everyday, for 3 months, and 3 months before that 12C and rain

forum is more exciting mind you

September is often dry and pkeasently warm. I expect the same again this year.

The only thing that differs September from a true summerlike month are the noticably shorter days/longer nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

August has certainly gone downhill in my memory it used to be a great summer month,1989,1990,1991,1995,1996,1997,1999 and 2000 were all very good or amazing,that is 8 out of 11 years yet in the last 9 years we have failed to get an August that you could call average never mind good or amazing !!

• Like 1

Posted

August has certainly gone downhill in my memory it used to be a great summer month,1989,1990,1991,1995,1996,1997,1999 and 2000 were all very good or amazing,that is 8 out of 11 years yet in the last 9 years we have failed to get an August that you could call average never mind good or amazing !!

2009, 2012 and 2013 immediately spring to mind - all average or above average.

It would be nice if people actually cited references for their claims instead of just posting whatever tickles their fancy.. lol.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

2009, 2012 and 2013 immediately spring to mind - all average or above average.

It would be nice if people actually cited references for their claims instead of just posting whatever tickles their fancy.. lol.

I do understand that statistics are not always a good barometer of just how a summer may feel and certainly for the cet area or your area at Leeds the temps may have been above average or sunshine may have been higher but not here in the pennines.I just had a quick look at 2013 and I only had 1 day above 22 deg  and 5 days above 20 ,there were many days with showers and most others had lots of cloud.Yes it was a sweeping statement but even 2013 was not a very good August here,2012 was pants and I will admit 2009 did have a decent 2nd half but am sure you know what I am trying to say without trying to pick holes in what I have said!

Posted

Hedon, East Yorkshire.

Summer 2015

Warmest Max: 26.9°C (30th June)
Coldest Max: 12.9°C (14th June)
Warmest Min: 17.1°C (17th August)
Coldest Min: 4.1°C (9th June)

Average Max: 20.1°C (+0.0°C)
Average Min: 11.0°C (-0.8°C)
Overall Average: 15.5°C (-0.4°C)

Rain: 190.2mm (110% Of Normal)
Wettest Day: 13th June (26.0mm)
Sunshine: 567 hours (100% Of Normal)

Maxima >25°C: 6
Maxima <15°C: 5
Minima >15°C: 3
Minima <10°C: 30

Dry Days: 45
Wet Days: 47
Days With Rain >1.0mm: 31
Days With Rain >10mm: 5
Thunder Days: 5
Days With Fog: 1

Pretty close to average here on all fronts. Perhaps the most notable is the lack of warm minima and lower mean min than average due to westerly winds being dominant. Again it was another disappointing one for high maxima, reaching 25C on just 6 days and missing out on 30C again (14 years and counting). There were some notable minima in all three months (4.1C in June, 6.8C in July and August). August was actually quite a good month, with a mean just above average and 23 days out of 31 above 20C, with five of the remaining 8 days above 19C. The last 10 days of July were the coldest in 35 years of records here however.

It continued a very average year too, with no month more than 0.5C either side of the 1981-2010 average apart from July (0.9C below).

One to forget, mainly for being so utterly and completely average overall.

Edited by reef
Moved from other thread
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

@bbcweather

Yesterday was 1st day for 69 days that we didn't hit at least 20C somewhere in the UK #stat Last summer 'the 20C streak' was 75 days Alex D

• Like 1

Posted

Can anyone explain (they may have already) why we get annoying Greenie highs in the summer and then they conveniently disappear (if you are a snow lover) in the winter  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

August was an incredibly dull month, especially in the Central Midlands. July started off nicely, but went downhill, especially towards the end of the month when temps barely rose above 15C and tended to drop into single figures. June was OK. The summer has been appaling for thunderstorms here though - only recorded 2 thunder days! Especially compared to the SE.

Posted

Summer 2015 at Cantley

June

Mean T=15.4 (15.7)

Avge Max=21.1 (20.4)

Absolute Max=31.8

Rain=36.8=about 10mm below 18 year average

General=14 days over 21C and 4 days over 25C

July

Mean T=17.4 (17.5)

Avge Max=22.6 (22.1)

Absolute Max=34.8 is the highest in any month in 18 years. Only beaten once in this area in over 75 years.

Rain=47.2mm= just a touch above average

General=two quite warm spells and 7 days, early in the month over 25C and 18 days over 21C

August

Mean T=17.6 (17.5)

Avge Max=22.6 (22.3)

Absolute Max=28.8 with 23 days over 21C and 8 days over 25C

Rain=91.8mm= wettest August in 18 years data and more than half in the last 12 days

General=warmer start than finish but not a bad month in spite of the rain total.

Overall summer

Mean=16.8

Avge max=22.1

Days over 25C=19

Days over 21C=70

Just 3 storms

Overall I would judge summer here, my back garden, as not bad, fairly warm, a few really hot days and a decent amount of sunshine although I have no figures to back up this comment

Compared to 2014 it is some 0.6C down on the Mean 0.2C on the average max

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes indeed a very pleasant summers day. Time To revive this thread for the coming week. :)

• Like 1

Posted

Yes indeed a very pleasant summers day. Time To revive this thread for the coming week. :)

Late Summer, early Autumn, I think the two are often interchangeable :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Lovely summery weather but the weather doesn't dictate a season.

Didn't change the fact it was getting dark & chilly at an ever earlier 19:30 tonight.