Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

If it's any consolation I've had 2 complete washouts and one overcast low 20s day here in Mallorca over the past week or so (3 decent thunderstorms, mind).

Back to Blighty and I've rarely seen Summer op charts promise so much and deliver so little with the notable exception at the start of July. A proper plume in Summer is as evasive as a proper convective easterly in Winter. We've been feeding on scraps as the continent has baked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Can't believe what the GFS is portraying - suddenly it shows rain all day tomorrow and a max temp no higher than 18C while literally 12 hours ago it was showing nothing of the sort! I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad. 

I hate living in this country sometimes. Absolutely despise it with all my heart and soul. Hope the entire island sinks into the Atlantic - wouldn't make any difference to the weather anyway. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Bit OTT, you mean you love the country but despise the climate. I've always thought if Britain had a good climate it would be a pretty perfect place to live.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Bit OTT, you mean you love the country but despise the climate. I've always thought if Britain had a good climate it would be a pretty perfect place to live.

I don't really love any country, but you're right - I like living in the UK, and my standard of living is high. The weather just grates on you after a while. I mean, it isn't that it's necessarily bad - it's actually agreeable a lot of the time - but it can be so irritating at times when you're yearning for something a little warmer and it just doesn't happen.. grr. I get the same frustration in winter.

But yeah, don't take any notice of me guys.. really.

Posted

I'm grumpy because for some years I got used to decent spells of warm sunny weather where I could plan to swim in the sea, camp, take long walks etc. now we just get a handful of decent days and it feels like my summer lifestyle had changed. I'm sorry for those in the north west where they're not even getting the mediocre summer we're getting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I don't really love any country, but you're right - I like living in the UK, and my standard of living is high. The weather just grates on you after a while. I mean, it isn't that it's necessarily bad - it's actually agreeable a lot of the time - but it can be so irritating at times when you're yearning for something a little warmer and it just doesn't happen.. grr. I get the same frustration in winter.

Haha understood. I've always thought northern France/low countries has the right balance. At least they actually get proper summer without the continuous heat of southern Europe. Equally, their stints of winter seem better than ours - more so the low countries than northern France.

Regarding this summer I share your frustration at the lack of ability of a high pressure area being able to set itself up over the UK for more than five minutes. Like this week, attacked by low pressure to the east today, then low pressure from the west tomorrow. If the jet stream fires up in early September again it may just bring a UK high underneath it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It's quite alright to blow off some steam about the weather we're experiencing/enduring. Think a lot of people share the same frustrations! It's like Chinese water torture living here sometimes...it's more of an insidious 'wearing down of the soul' type of climate a lot of the time, which gets you down over a long period of time. I expect crap Atlantic dross any time of the year here but always hope for something much warmer and sunnier in summer. When it happens the UK is a wonderful place to be. Not this year!

• Like 1

Posted

I wish to make yet another complaint on the standard of forecasting..last evening   on a forecast.. they had the rain on the eastcoast retreating back to the coast and the  the sun coming out  from the west about midday.. its now 1 oclock in my location and its pouring down..I had a laugh to myself about tomorrows forecast.. which in all purposes looks   pretty good. from what I heard last evening.I said to myself come today.. Tomorrows forecast for a  fine day.. will have completely evaporated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

why don't you all go and moan in the appropriate thread that's what is there for...I have to say this has turned into the most depressing and miserable forum on the internet in the last 18 months or so

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

why don't you all go and moan in the appropriate thread that's what is there for...I have to say this has turned into the most depressing and miserable forum on the internet in the last 18 months or so

cheeky_monkey

Member Since 07 Jan 2005

...Oh damn it, it would have been sooo funny if you'd only joined 18mths ago.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyway, wet day today.

Edited by Thunderbolt_
To move the discussion on.

Posted

I wish to make yet another complaint on the standard of forecasting..last evening   on a forecast.. they had the rain on the eastcoast retreating back to the coast and the  the sun coming out  from the west about midday.. its now 1 oclock in my location and its pouring down..I had a laugh to myself about tomorrows forecast.. which in all purposes looks   pretty good. from what I heard last evening.I said to myself come today.. Tomorrows forecast for a  fine day.. will have completely evaporated.

The joys of being a weather forecaster, you should try it sometime?

And Net Wx is hardly the right place to complain about forecasts on TV channels is it?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Fair enough but if the weather was nice (sunny and warm) or even exciting (storms) then it would generally be a very happy forum lol. I'm ready to comment very positively if so. Depressing weather = depressing forum. Simples!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I know. Just live with it people, moaning won't change anything.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

What an absolute stinker of a day. Rain from the east is always horrible as it just sticks around for hours. I do hope the nice start to the month for many parts isnt runied by a poor second half.

Posted

What an absolute stinker of a day. Rain from the east is always horrible as it just sticks around for hours. I do hope the nice start to the month for many parts isnt runied by a poor second half.

Just like July. Maybe we'll get an Indian summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

August not too bad this year by modern standards, but worse to come, max temp though must be lower than June and July, 33C in June, 35C in July in SE

Posted

A max of 14.4C here today, the lowest in August since 2001 and second lowest in 22 years. Very poor indeed.

Posted

Looks like parts of the West had a lovely warm sunny day today, happy for them! Over 'ere, blimmin' cold!

Posted

Looks like parts of the West had a lovely warm sunny day today, happy for them! Over 'ere, blimmin' cold!

But it's our turn for the garbage tomorrow, whilst the east bakes in hot sun and 26C temps

• Like 1

Posted

But it's our turn for the garbage tomorrow, whilst the east bakes in hot sun and 26C temps

I'd like to think so, though I'm quite cynical. I'd be happy with sunny and 21C at this stage!

ECM looking interesting for the weekend, some heat possible...oh please, verify!

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I thought I was joking a month ago when I said 2015 summer could end up on the POOR list but not far to go and it might just make it !!

Posted

I'd say it's been poor for proper warmth here now, usually we reach say 26C even in the worse summers, as at some point you get a high pressure overhead or easterly/NE surface flow in a warm enough air mass.

Not yet this year, for various reasons the plume only gave 24.6C on the 30th June, the highest so far.

and although some models, often the GFS recently, showed warm easterly charts I could guess that they wouldn't happen and the mostly bland (at least temp wise) weather would continue. One GFS run even showed the flow backing northerly under 15C uppers bringing 30C right onto the south coast.. if only. 

If in the SE you'll probably be fine as usual, and probably have most of any storms or such interest too, but here the forecast max temps continue at 17-20C which is 1-4C below average. We had a couple good days reach nearly 24C this month, and yesterday was nice reaching 21.3C, as even poor summers have a few nice days however the month is running over a degree below average overall. Today has been 14-16C with persistent rain/drizzle.

Posted

30C in the east on Saturday maybe sunday too, August could after all produce a 30C, just like Jun and Jul did