Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The average high for Stanley is 14C for both January and February, and it rains on 17 days each month. So this isn't wrong thanks. Src, Source: Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia

Also "johnholmes" don't get fooled by the rainfall averages, just because it doesn't look that high the rain comes in the form of drizzle and frontal rain that goes on for hours, and happens frequently, so it still is a horribly cool damp feeling summer. Denying that is just wanton obtuseness TBH. 

You need to cut out the snarky tone.

• Like 2

Posted

The average high for Stanley is 14C for both January and February, and it rains on 17 days each month. So this isn't wrong thanks. Src, Source: Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia

Also "johnholmes" don't get fooled by the rainfall averages, just because it doesn't look that high the rain comes in the form of drizzle and frontal rain that goes on for hours, and happens frequently, so it still is a horribly cool damp feeling summer. Denying that is just wanton obtuseness TBH. 

David I did spend 6 months there as a senior forecaster so I do know from first hand just what the weather is like, I was there late September to late March.

Not 'wanton obtuseness' David, I speak from factual first hand experience. The weather in Falkland is not that different to the weather in Shetland, I spent 12 months there as well. Both islands have a somewhat 'better' weather feel if that is the word to Anglesey where I spent 5 years. I do try and be as factual and objective as I can on this forum, most folk I hope would agree with this remark.

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Been a glorious summer here in the capital, lots of dry, sunny, warm weather. I really do feel sorry for anyone living north of Watford who has had the total opposite. I think September will be pretty decent too down here.

• Like 2

Been a glorious summer here in the capital, lots of dry, sunny, warm weather. I really do feel sorry for anyone living north of Watford who has had the total opposite. I think September will be pretty decent too down here.

it's not that bad lassie ,no overcrowding ,no pollution ,easy to get about , cheap houses for first time buyers , 20 mins from Lake District and much more ,lol, London piffle :)..
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I find some people have very low standards - July was only average in London temperature-wise, and sunshine-wise was duller than normal - by quite a margin actually - not to mention significantly wetter than average!

North of Watford is quite a large area of land - the weather here in Leeds has been a world away from Cumbria or Scotland.

Posted

it's not that bad lassie ,no overcrowding ,no pollution ,easy to get about , cheap houses for first time buyers , 20 mins from Lake District and much more ,lol, London piffle :)..

LOL! Are you allowed to shoot burglars up there? We have the London Piffletarium, Pifferlli Circus and lots of other attractions, including the warm, sunny, summer weather of course.

I find some people have very low standards - July was only average in London temperature-wise, and sunshine-wise was duller than normal - by quite a margin actually - not to mention significantly wetter than average!

North of Watford is quite a large area of land - the weather here in Leeds has been a world away from Cumbria or Scotland.

My standards are the same as most Londoners, just above very low :D  but July wasn't as bad as the official figures show, most people want rain as their gardens are bone dry and the temperatures have been fine. The duller weather was reserved more for Staines  than anywhere else :D  So how has the summer been in Leeds?

I say this Summer there has been 7-10 uncomfortable nights about the norm one or 2 was unbearable.

Yes, but it has been warm and humid for quite a while now, after a cool June, most nights my temps are not falling below 14c.

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers

For central Europe, this summer has been crazy, and after a cooler weekend, next week the sunny and hot weather will continue. Here you can see the temperature anomaly for Germany for august so far and the difference between south Germany (red line) and north sea cost (green line).

http://www.wetteronline.de/wetterticker#post_6204730

• Like 1

Posted

For central Europe, this summer has been crazy, and after a cooler weekend, next week the sunny and hot weather will continue. Here you can see the temperature anomaly for Germany for august so far and the difference between south Germany (red line) and north sea cost (green line).

http://www.wetteronline.de/wetterticker#post_6204730

Their weather presenters are a bit young :shok:

Got to 22c and sunny in garden , got patio doors open in both rooms to enjoy this rare event !!.

That's a cool day in Londumb, it'll probably be nearly as warm as that when you visit in November. :D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

LOL! Are you allowed to shoot burglars up there? We have the London Piffletarium, Pifferlli Circus and lots of other attractions, including the warm, sunny, summer weather of course.

My standards are the same as most Londoners, just above very low :D  but July wasn't as bad as the official figures show, most people want rain as their gardens are bone dry and the temperatures have been fine. The duller weather was reserved more for Staines  than anywhere else :D  So how has the summer been in Leeds?

Yes, but it has been warm and humid for quite a while now, after a cool June, most nights my temps are not falling below 14c.

Not great, but now terrible either. August so far is very nice though - and looks good in the forecast (the next 3 days excluded).

Anyway, today was fantastic - my ideal conditions. 24C, partly cloudy with a gentle breeze. However, it's already 19C because the wind verged east and that always causes the temperature to fall quickly. Stupid North Sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Their weather presenters are a bit young :shok:

That's a cool day in Londumb, it'll probably be nearly as warm as that when you visit in November. :D

I was with a friend on a delivery today, driving up the M20 towards London and the M25 I was shocked by the extensive yellowish grey pall of smog clearly visible over London.  At least the air here in Cheshire is somewhat cleaner.

• Like 3

I was with a friend on a delivery today, driving up the M20 towards London and the M25 I was shocked by the extensive yellowish grey pall of smog clearly visible over London.  At least the air here in Cheshire is somewhat cleaner.

think most of that comes from the Palace of Westminster Pete ;)..
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Looks like August will continue the dry and fairly warm theme after a very unsettled day tomorow. It really is turning out a great month over here, but im prepared for lower temperatures next week with the forecast easterlies but its western parts turn to get some nice weather for once.

Posted

First decent Summer's day here in nearly 5/6 weeks. Clear blue skies and temps touching 20 degrees. Hopefully remaining dry for a while although temperatures will remain at or below average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

this summer will go down as one of the strangest....  (locally at least)

like milhouse mentioned, no issues with north sea harr/stratus, its been dry since march, its been on the cool side since march. only had a few days of 25c or over (that statistic puts us as poor as 08!) , its been breezy and fresh more then youd expect but more then average sunshine.

what a mix! and shows that any one statistic could be used to 'prove' weve had a bad summer.... but somehow it isnt. perhaps because weve had a lot of sun and a lot of dry. tbh despite the lack of heatwaves that the previous two summers brought us, i still like it! a few spells of heat would have made it pretty much perfect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

this summer will go down as one of the strangest....  (locally at least)

like milhouse mentioned, no issues with north sea harr/stratus, its been dry since march, its been on the cool side since march. only had a few days of 25c or over (that statistic puts us as poor as 08!) , its been breezy and fresh more then youd expect but more then average sunshine.

what a mix! and shows that any one statistic could be used to 'prove' weve had a bad summer.... but somehow it isnt. perhaps because weve had a lot of sun and a lot of dry. tbh despite the lack of heatwaves that the previous two summers brought us, i still like it! a few spells of heat would have made it pretty much perfect.

I think it has been a generally good summer. Not as warm as I would have liked possibly but nearly everyday has had useable weather and I have been able to sit out in the garden of an evening mostly.

It won't go down as a classic summer and I doubt it will harbour too much fondness in years to come but at least it hasn't been too wet.

I think it has been a generally good summer. Not as warm as I would have liked possibly but nearly everyday has had useable weather and I have been able to sit out in the garden of an evening mostly.

It won't go down as a classic summer and I doubt it will harbour too much fondness in years to come but at least it hasn't been too wet.

that's the problem ,here we havent been able to sit out due to the cool evenings and nagging wind ,I can count the garden evenings on one hand !!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

that's the problem ,here we havent been able to sit out due to the cool evenings and nagging wind ,I can count the garden evenings on one hand !!.

I live just down the road from Always expect rain and can safely say 'usable' is the word to describe the summer. There haven't been many occasions when I've been able to sit out in the sun, there have been even fewer occasions when it's been comfortable enough to sit outside into the evening without a jumper on, and there has almost always been some sort of breeze.

It's been an annoying location to be in here this summer as we've always been on the edge of everything - storms to the east and storms to the west. Equally, when a system is running SW-NE to the west of the UK, we're often stuck under cloudy dry conditions where further southeast it's sunny; when a system is moving across the southeast, we're stuck under the cloud associated whereas further NW it's sunny. This has translated to a lot of 'nothing weather'.

On the positive, however, it's not too horrendously wet with only a few very wet days that stand out, meaning enough rain to keep the gardens happy. June was often sunny, though slightly cooler than average. July was often pleasantly warm but with not enough sun. August so far has continued the nondescript trend. Who knows what September will bring - FI shows the Atlantic cranking up towards the end of the month so maybe a more traditional September - a long way off though.