Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted

This has to be the windiest summer ever. There has been a real paucity of calm, sunny days here. Even yesterday's "return to summer" was marred by cloud and wind. Thank god I'm off to Hamburg tomorrow; it's looking warm there for the next few days. As for here, this thoroughly disappointing summer can't end soon enough.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer 2015 certainly heading in the poor direction at moment and I cannot see anything better on the horizon.Unfortunately it will almost certainly be worse at the end of the week as I picked the tropical destination of Scotland for my holiday starting Thursday!!

You should pay attention to the models then - that's precisely what's showing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Hmmm... looking back over the CET stats, it seems that in the last 100 years, using the 71-00 average, only 26 years have had a below average June and July. Of those 26 years, only 2 saw an above average August, 1916 and 2012. That's an 8% chance roughly...

Over the entire record, those chances increase to 14%, but before the 20th century, most summer months were below the 81-10 average anyway.

Depends on how accurate temps were read all those years ago, weather recording instruments were a lot more inaccurate decades ago and how they were read, and that includes thermometers, and of course there is a lot more weather stations around today compared to just a few short years ago.... :)

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Depends on how accurate temps were read all those years ago, weather recording instruments were a lot more inaccurate decades ago and how they were read, and that includes thermometers, and of course there is a lot more weather stations around today compared to just a few short years ago.... :)

Luckily we've scientists who've spent a long time analysing the CET record, looking at the effects of equipment changes, location changes, time of observation changes, yada-yada, and have seemingly done a good job and produced an accurate record. Perhaps I'm too trusting!

• Like 2

Posted

another horrid spell of weather in this ever increasingly despicable summer.

strong gusty winds all day making it feel like November or December

temperatures very supressed apart from a brief spell of sunshine where it climbed to a limp 1c below average, then quickly plummeted to well below average again

Edited by Lake District Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

another horrid spell of weather in this ever increasingly despicable summer.

strong gusty winds all day making it feel like November or December

temperatures very supressed apart from a brief spell of sunshine where it climbed to a limp 1c below average, then quickly plummeted to well below average again

Agree. It's better down south as usual, but still not great. Looking at the fax charts for the week ahead just fills me with gloom, low pressure, endless fronts crossing or nearby, windy, loads of cloud etc etc, while much of Europe bakes in gorgeous sunny skies. Really frustrating as I thought the weather was meant to be warming up and settling down?

Posted

The Metoffice charts are out for July and after a generally dry, sunny June with average temps summer has taken a downturn in July for most.

Mean maxima were generally below average away from the far south-east:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/7/2015_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Mean minima much the same though less below average than during the day in north-western areas:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/7/2015_7_MinTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Mean below average away from the south-east:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/7/2015_7_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Generally wet everywhere except a few central areas and the far north of Scotland:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/7/2015_7_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Sunshine was not far either side of average apart from Northern Ireland and parts of Scotland:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/pub/data/weather/uk/climate/anomacts/2015/7/2015_7_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

A poor month with regards to the 1981-2010 average, but not exceptionally so. There have been much worse even in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

A summary of the July weather in Ireland can be found here http://www.met.ie/climate/MonthlyWeather/clim-2015-Jul.pdf

Cold, wet and windy everywhere
Temperature: Claremorris records its coldest July in 50 years.
All monthly mean air temperatures were below their LTA (Long-Term Average) with most stations reporting deviations from normal of -1.0°C or more. Differences from LTA were as much as -2.1°C at Markree (mean temperature of 13.0°C) and at Ballyhaise (mean temperature of 13.5°C) both having their coldest July conditions in seven and eight years, respectively. Claremorris had a monthly mean temperature of 13.1°C (-1.8°C from LTA), its coldest July since 1965 and its third coldest July since records began in 1950. Other stations at Cork Airport, Johnstown Castle, Mullingar and Shannon Airport all reported their coldest July since 1988.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Summer should be renamed fly season. Innumerable fly corpses are piling up in this house.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

I find cleaning up once in a while helps ;)...

Believe me, it doesn't take long for them to reappear again.

• Like 1

Posted

Surprisingly the ground is hard and very much on the dry side this year, the exceptional dry april helped that,it hasn`t recovered since then.

Just as well after this abysmal july.

Posted

This Summer has been a distinctly "thunderless" one thus far. A few claps about fifteen minutes ago class as a noteworthy event this year, last year that would have gone by almost unnoticed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I find cleaning up once in a while helps ;)...

Indeed. I must vacuum up half-a-million dead flies! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Dry and cloudy for southern Britain  ,wet and windy further north ,would that sum it up... :D

• Like 2

Posted

Its around now we begin to change the feel of things albeit very slowly, from the heady heights of early summer a certain wistfulness takes hold as we see light levels decreasing ever more each day.. Whilst still very much 'high summer', in the north in particular a feeling of 'what could have been' starts to take hold as we head towards the middle of August, that feeling of promise, anticipation and exception of May and June is by now certainly cast aside.

Not wishing to sound downbeat but you can't deny the brooding mature nature of things at this time of year, everything past its peak and the only way forward is a slow decline.. even the birds go silent in high summer reinforcing this feel, and the colour of green is a deep lacklustre one not the fresh vibrant sparkle of late spring, early summer.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Dry and cloudy for southern Britain  ,wet and windy further north ,would that sum it up... :D

and below average temps away from the south east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Its around now we begin to change the feel of things albeit very slowly, from the heady heights of early summer a certain wistfulness takes hold as we see light levels decreasing ever more each day.. Whilst still very much 'high summer', in the north in particular a feeling of 'what could have been' starts to take hold as we head towards the middle of August, that feeling of promise, anticipation and exception of May and June is by now certainly cast aside.

Not wishing to sound downbeat but you can't deny the brooding mature nature of things at this time of year, everything past its peak and the only way forward is a slow decline.. even the birds go silent in high summer reinforcing this feel, and the colour of green is a deep lacklustre one not the fresh vibrant sparkle of late spring, early summer.

Think its time to bulk buy the prozac tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

Surprisingly the ground is hard and very much on the dry side this year, the exceptional dry april helped that,it hasn`t recovered since then.

Just as well after this abysmal july.

indeed... from a work pov (grasscutting/gardening) its been a perfect year. a dry spring lead to firm ground, and rain this summer has dried up quickly. weve had a lot of dry, SUNNY , fresh , breezy weather albeit on the cool side. great for outdoor work, had enough rain to keep the grass growing but not too much to make it too long.

not been great though for summer leisure activities, but still better then 07, 08, 12.

Posted

It's not been the worst summer here, but below par now quite boring most of the time. Also a bit frustrating how the heat/interesting stuff is often just across the channel, and keeps missing us.

A bit like our climate can be sometimes, certainly not the worst IMO but can be made more frustrating by how much more interesting weather is often nearby on the continent.

And on this mornings runs any hope of proper warmth that was showing seems to have gone with instead cooler uppers from the NW again. Wondering if this summer will actually break 25C in my back yard!! despite being 23.7C at 2:50AM on the 1st July lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Yes, Monday's supposed heat never arrived here, today's forecast heat hasn't materialised - currently 15C, light rain, and so dull I'm using my room lights on a high "summer" morning.  So little IR my Crookes radiometer is stationary - very rare in summer.  When I went to Leicester on a delivery with a friend I noticed the number of trees that were showing autumn colours - a bit early?  Not been a very good year for those of us who have SAD.

The UK climate must be one of the nastiest on the planet - I've had to endure it for over sixty years.

• Like 1

Posted

goes down as the crappiest summer I can recall in my lifetime i'm afraid IMBY.

Two or three hot days, one of those exceptionally so, does not make a summer. 95% of the time, its been cloudy, cool and with a gale blowing.

One decent plume event/elevated storm in July which was admiteddly very cool (wasn't overhead though) but absolutely nothing surface based here. Not seen a single cumulonimbus in daylight and not a single clap of thunder outside of that little hot spell.

The most boring year of weather imaginable continues.

I am genuinely dreading how tough this winter is going to be for SAD sufferers after having no summer to recharge.

• Like 1

Posted

The stats damn 2015:

Just 3 days over 25C, only one of which was sunny. 2012 had had 6 by this point.

First 20C was on the remarkably late date of June 4th. Then consider the first 15C was on January 9th, nearly 5 months earlier. May especially was just a waste of 31 days

No overhead thunderstorms all year

Not more than 1cm of snow, and never on the ground for more than 12 hours.

As of August 6th, not had a really sunny day for over a month. The odd afternoon or evening, but not a day.

Sub 15C maxima in the last week of July. Again, we hit 15C on January 9th.

Absolutely unrelenting wind virtually every day since late April, always from between SW and NW, predominantly NW. Low pressure, high pressure, cloud, sun or rain, that wind has been there without fail. No return of the westerlies this year, they never went away to begin with.

Only good points were a sunny April (which still failed to top 18C despite loads of high pressure) and sunny June, which people were slagging off at the time but is increasingly looking like the best month of the year. Though for once this area got lucky with the sunshine in June, so it might not be true everywhere.

All in all, the last 12 months have been just about the most boring I can ever recall.

• Like 3