Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2015

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

I was just thinking the other day that there has been almost a total lack of North sea haar/low cloud this Summer. Really unusual to get to this stage without at least a few days occurring. Shows how there has been an absence of anything from the east, not only this summer but this year so far (except for during Aprils anticyclonic spells)

Yes, that's true. Very little easterly influence at all, pretty much Atlantic winds all through this year so far. Maybe the easterly element will creep in during winter? Would please the snow lovers! As for the week ahead, fax charts show a very messy picture, I really have no idea what this will equate to on the surface? Some warm humid air coming into the south this week is all I could manage to grasp, though it looked to me like those vile NW winds will be back this weekend onwards. So, another mediocre August in store? Weekend here was lovely but today pretty grim.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Today is what summer is all about. The warmth and humidity of the day culminating in a torrential downpour around 5ish and that lovely aroma of the first rains after a longish dry spell. Then back to a lovely warm evening.

We need one of these down here. Since I returned from my holiday on 1st August we've barely had a drop of rain, and the ground is becoming pretty dry. Would love a good thunderstorm to sort things out, but unfortunately these have become somewhat of a rarity this Summer!

Posted

Really nice August so far apart from today although it did brighten up later in the day.

A solid strong Summer in the South I have no complaints. Above average here throughout.

Posted

Today is what summer is all about. The warmth and humidity of the day culminating in a torrential downpour around 5ish and that lovely aroma of the first rains after a longish dry spell. Then back to a lovely warm evening.

I wouldn't exactly call it a lovely aroma, especially with the sewage farm at saltend blowing over yet again. These constant westerlies/north-westerlies have meant a pretty miserable summer here as that disgusting smell wafts over and you can't sit in the garden or open the windows to let the heat out.

Its a shame as there's been a lot of good evenings wasted because of it.

Posted

With me now moving on the other end of the Pennines, perhaps there is a small window of opportunity of enjoying higher temperatures and sunshine than those in the East this week as an Easterly drift kicks in, we may see some low cloud forming in Eastern areas as a result of this warm moist air developing also which as others have stated have(thankfully) been lacking this summer. 

The NW'ly do look like returning but how long for is up for debate, there does seem to be hints pressure may build once again, September is becoming more and more of a late summer month so still plenty of time to soak up more warmth before things gradually cool down. 

Posted

It's the south EAST that's getting the decent summer. In the SW we're getting the odd decent day here and there but we're often under the edge of the low pressure systems cycling up the west coasts leading to tepid days with little sun and a good deal of dark cloud. Several days I've had to drive with sidelights on as it has been so dull.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Thankfully there is some cooler weather about to come our way in the south east. 26C the last couple of days with around 70-80% humidity is not fun. Traffic fumes and other smells just seem to cling in the air, the smell especially exacerbated by recent muck spreading.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 1

Posted

About time we had this finer dryer warmer settled few days this week after one of the poorest july`s I`ve seen,hopefully thunder at the end of the week to finish of summer as once the shrewsbury flower show comes that's it days shorten up,autumn is coming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Thankfully there is some cooler weather about to come our way in the south east. 26C the last couple of days with around 70-80% humidity is not fun. Traffic fumes and other smells just seem to cling in the air, the smell especially exacerbated by recent muck spreading.

Yeah, like this latest run of cool, cloudy crap is just sooooo much better...

The weekend was lovely, mainly sunny with perfect temps. Hardly uncomfortable at all even in the sun. Some people on here should never go somewhere like Singapore or the Caribbean, actually anywhere abroad lol, I think they'd die!

• Like 1

Posted

Yeah, like this latest run of cool, cloudy crap is just sooooo much better...

The weekend was lovely, mainly sunny with perfect temps. Hardly uncomfortable at all even in the sun. Some people on here should never go somewhere like Singapore or the Caribbean, actually anywhere abroad lol, I think they'd die!

I prefer "cool, cloudy crap" a lot of the time, it's better fishing weather (and general outdoor weather without getting uncomfortable). Besides, "cool" down here isn't really cool at all, more like 18-20C, which doesn't in the slightest bit feel chilly.

As it turns out I am going abroad in September, but thankfully I am going to Norway.

Edited by 22nov10blast
  • Like 2

Posted

I prefer "cool, cloudy crap" a lot of the time, it's better fishing weather (and general outdoor weather without getting uncomfortable). Besides, "cool" down here isn't really cool at all, more like 18-20C, which doesn't in the slightest bit feel chilly.

As it turns out I am going abroad in September, but thankfully I am going to Norway.

The UK has one of the coolest summers in the world. You couldn't really find a much better place if you like cool summers. Even subarctic parts Canada and Russia often has warmer summers at much higher latitudes. So people wishing on even colder than average temperatures really need to stop this trolling and really find a way to perhaps relocate to Iceland or Svalbard which has summers more to your taste. How about the Falkland Islands? At least the UK actually own them, and you might be able to get a transfer. Endless 14 degrees, cloud and drizzle for you to languish in, all summer.

Edited by DavidHamble57
  • Like 6

Posted

It's weird, it's not actually been that warm, or felt it as such, yet I've found it quite uncomfortable sleeping at night. Why is this? Have dew points been high recently? Humidity?

Usually when I struggle to sleep at night it has been very warm during the day, not so recently.

• Like 1

Posted

The UK has one of the coolest summers in the world. You couldn't really find a much better place if you like cool summers. Even subarctic parts Canada and Russia often has warmer summers at much higher latitudes. So people wishing on even colder than average temperatures really need to stop this trolling and really find a way to perhaps relocate to Iceland or Svalbard which has summers more to your taste. How about the Falkland Islands? At least the UK actually own them, and you might be able to get a transfer. Endless 14 degrees, cloud and drizzle for you to languish in, all summer.

Look, I wasn't looking to "troll" as you suggest. I said I wasn't enjoying the 26C muggy heat of the last couple of days, and I was looking forward to some cooler weather (by which I mean 18-20C, hardly cold). Is that so much of a problem? The south east has the warmest Summer's by Britist standards, is it really that much of a crime to wish for something a bit cooler once in a while? As someone who spends a lot of time outside walking, fishing, etc, hot sunny days just drench me in sweat and make me massively uncomfortable. I do enjoy hot sunny weather at times (if I'm relaxing, say), but it's nice to intersperse it with the cooler stuff.

Believe me, if you think I'm trolling, you need to take a look at some of the other posters on these forums. There are some true Summer haters around.

By the way, why go to the Falklands if you can go to Shetland? ;)

• Like 3

Posted

this is just plain wrong, talking of Falkland summers

Endless 14 degrees, cloud and drizzle for you to languish in, all summer.

Posted

If you follow the seasons astronomically, 7 August actually only marks the midway point of summer. Who say's summer is nearly over? :)

Why do weather enthusiasts follow astronomical seasons?

Aren't meteorological seasons more relevant on a weather forum? or are the astronomical seasons based on weather patterns as well?

Astrononmical makes me think of Mystic Meg :)

Posted

Aren't meteorological seasons more relevant on a weather forum? or are the astronomical seasons based on weather patterns as well?

:sigh: That's *astrological*. Astronomical, think Patrick Moore.

Astronomical "seasons" are based on the position of the sun in the sky, but only the solstice (its maximum declination) and equinoxes (when it's on the celestial equator) are fixed points. And they change the constellation they're in, very slowly (about 25000 years to do a full circle). Even so, we use out of date (by 2000 years) terminology, the Tropic of Capricorn should now be called the Tropic of Sagittarius.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

In North America seasons are measured astronomically even with regard to weather...so winter for example doesn't start until Dec 22nd..which I found a bit bizarre esp in Canada when it often starts snowing mid October. Their seasons do much better fit the pattern of the 1st of Sept, 1st Dec, 1st Mar and 1st Jun than ours..ours are more suited to the astronomical calendar me thinks

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes glorious here with blue skys, No idea what temp is but sure feels warm in the Sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Argh you've made the cardinal sin of mixing astrology and astronomy! Astronomy = a genuine science, astrology = a puddle of stool water.

And yes, we should be following the meteorological seasons, as that is how the Met Office define them, makes it easier for data collection. Summer ends on August 31st. Although places like the US use astronomical dates.

Posted

with regards to finding sleep uncomfortable; this year I've only struggled once and that was on the record-breaking day.

The last couple of summers I can recall several nights where its been too sticky.

This summer however, i've found myself often sleeping with the window closed and even cold enough to the point of requiring a hot water bottle on some nights.

I know it technically speaking, hasn't been all that bad down this neck of the woods, I still think it's been the dullest I can remember, with an almost constant gale. Complete write-off. 

It's definitely made me want to relocate to more southern-climes, or heck, just over the channel, so at least i'm guaranteed some seasons, rather than the perpetual Autumn we seem to suffer all year round that some of you vampires seem to enjoy;)

• Like 1

Posted

this is just plain wrong, talking of Falkland summers

Endless 14 degrees, cloud and drizzle for you to languish in, all summer.

The average high for Stanley is 14C for both January and February, and it rains on 17 days each month. So this isn't wrong thanks. Src, Source: Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia

Also "johnholmes" don't get fooled by the rainfall averages, just because it doesn't look that high the rain comes in the form of drizzle and frontal rain that goes on for hours, and happens frequently, so it still is a horribly cool damp feeling summer. Denying that is just wanton obtuseness TBH. 

Edited by DavidHamble57
  • Like 1