Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 1st June 2015 12z--------->

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Summer Sun - that chart you posted is for 3AM. A high of 4C in June is not going to happen, not now not ever, unless you live on top of Great Dun Fell.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 7

Posted

Even the maxes on the ECM look very depressed in the south.

EcZ1ssX.png

Still 'in-house' disagreement showing for the weekend - this little cut off low playing mind games with more than just me!

GFS cooler and a very notable anomaly for the south, next Monday.

4tmnEa1.png

These charts are not mean anomalies - valid for time stamp.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The 06z GFS in the short term extends the warm/very warm region further on Friday, anywhere in England and Wales could possibly hit the mid-twenties with 80F again possible in the south east.

post-17424-0-28775000-1433846729_thumb.p

The weekend looks unsettled still though it will turn drier through Sunday, the warm air hangs on in the south on Saturday before all areas turn unseasonably cool on Sunday.

post-17424-0-75945200-1433846861_thumb.p

Nice to see we can achieve the average for November at this time of year  :doh:

Beyond that conditions do improve, that said the ECM suite isn't exactly inspiring with the high setting up to the south west of the UK again with a predominantly north westerly flow. The GFS looks a little better in that regard. That said the high should be close enough to keep winds light and allow warm air to push into the UK allowing temperatures to recover to around or slightly above average levels after the unseasonably cool weather in the 5-7 day range.

gens-21-1-192.png

ECM

EDM1-192.GIF?09-12

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GFS again shows the risk of some low overnight 'highs' early next week with some towns and cities down to 3c or 4c

ukmaxtemp.pngukmaxtemp.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z shows high pressure building in across the south next week and eventually widespread warmth and anticyclonic, mid 20's celsius for a large swathe of the UK...what a cracking run through low res.

post-4783-0-82654900-1433848564_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-17588100-1433848572_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-70733300-1433848577_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-97877200-1433848583_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-76193600-1433848591_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-11135900-1433848600_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-35234100-1433848607_thumb.pn

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

The Gfs 00z shows warmer and more humid weather spreading up from the near continent across England and Wales, becoming very warm in the far south on Thursday and quite widely across the south and southeast on Friday with 26-27c for the SE. Thundery weather with torrential downpours push north during Friday but with sunny spells too.

What really caught my eye on this run is the mid to late June period which shows high pressure building in close to the south through next week and then a major change to very warm / hot anticyclonic conditions for the whole country, a north / south split for most of next week with the south having a lot of fine and pleasantly warm weather the north of the UK staying unsettled for a while longer but looking further ahead, these charts would really put the Flaming into June. :)

yes looking at charts and Data this morning theres plenty to give us hope of a warmer high pressure dominated spell of weather from next week .and with the sun or should i say daylight hours being at their maximum every possibility of some great bbq weather with STellas ,but certainly now looks like a very wet for some and potential thundery spell looming and attacking us from the continent ,certainly not boring but i,m sure many twists yet to come as the models firm up ,great to see some interesting posts ,cheers gang . :yahoo: perhaps that nagging chilly wind as got the message .

• Like 5

The Gfs 6z shows high pressure building in across the south next week and eventually widespread warmth and anticyclonic, mid 20's celsius for a large swathe of the UK...what a cracking run through low res.

Cooler, wet weather set to return on the 25th though.

Rtavn3844.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Rtavn3844.gif

Think people are a tad giddy. The outlook is mostly good but the low around day 10 will influence us somewhat (though GFS is least progressive and GEM most, Euro halfway) and we have Saturdays's rainfest. It's a good summary spell but not the 3 weeks without rain variety (indeed chances are most people won't go further than a week before the next week front). 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Rtavn3844.gif

Over 2 weeks away...

Edited by Karl83
  • Like 8

perhaps people prefer warm weather in summer ?? :).....

As do I, but I also thought the thread was about expressing what the models show, rather than expressing personal preferences. Of course one can argue posting warm charts 2 weeks hence is valid, because they are available from GFS and therefore fit for 'model discussion', but if that is to be the case then all charts from that timeframe, whatever they show, should also be treated equally in my opinion.

• Like 8

Posted

Frosty posted charts for 2 weeks away above Karl83, but no one has questioned their validity, so are they OK because they show warm weather?

Actually, I posted gfs 6z charts for the whole of low res, and much of it shows very warm and settled weather, if you are going to be critical of someone, at least get your facts right!

• Like 8

Posted

certainly hoping the 12z GFS run is not correct for late Friday into Saturday evening. I would like some rain but not the amount and length of the rainfall it is currently showing thanks?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes John, Some very heavy rain for Fri/sat as a front slowly pushes up from the South. Straddling against the slack Northerly, Which will bring much cooler conditions for the North with -5 uppers pushing into Scotland for the weekend as a weak cold front slowly pushes South.

ukprec.pngukprec.pngukwind.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted

just for the record, frosty normally posts a series of charts from a whole plethora of time scales, and accordingly posts summaries of his thoughts on said charts.....some might verify, some don't.....but to state that cooler, wet weather is set to return on the 25th with one chart (way way out in FI) posted is hardly a valid comparison to frosty's posts......All model discussion is valid in this thread, even LRF modelling such as the CFS, but please, for everyone who views this thread, T192 onwards is for trend spotting, not forecasting per se

Cheers aj, tried to pm you :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

After an unsettled weekend UKMO and GFS both show things slowly improving early next week

UW144-21.GIF?09-18gfs-0-144.png?12

The 850's will still be around zero to start with but given some sunshine and light winds it would feel pleasant enough by day though nights could still be on the chilly side

• Like 3

Posted

The southeast in particular looks very warm and humid on Friday according to the Gfs 12z, could reach 80F and across southern UK in general it will be warm and humid, quite a continental feel to Friday with sunny spells, however, there also looks like being a lot of heavy and persistent thundery rain moving north across England and wales, could be some big storms and there is a risk of localised flooding. Looking ahead to next week, high pressure builds in close to the south which is where the driest and sunniest conditions would be with pleasantly warm temps, gradually reaching the low 20's celsius. This run shows a north / south split next week with northern uk generally less settled and cooler. I'm hoping we will see the Azores high eventually bring a nationwide warm / very warm and settled extended outlook. :)

post-4783-0-75344900-1433870250_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50332100-1433870257_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-53882600-1433870358_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-74203400-1433870365_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-32259000-1433870373_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-41938300-1433870381_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-74626100-1433870389_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-27044600-1433870397_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-78736700-1433870404_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-86703500-1433870410_thumb.pn

post-4783-0-50810100-1433870417_thumb.pn

• Like 4

Posted

In all the years i've been a weather model watcher i really can't recall a time when i seen predicted night time temperatures to ever be this low the week leading up to the Summer Solstice. According to the GFS 12Z Some areas could be seeing Temperatures 1 to 3 degrees BELOW freezing. Brrrr!!

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

These are just 3 examples, but to be honest there are many other nights too during the next 7 - 10 days when night time temperatures get significantly low for the time of year.

.....Time to dig out those Winter woollies! :cold:  :cold:  Lol!

i think those temps will be modified somewhat nearer verification - the GEM and to an extent the UKMO are not as cool. But no doubt there will be some chilly nights and likewise any proper warmth does seems to be eroded as it gets nearer. Also worth noting the last couple of GEM runs haven't made much of the pressure rise next week - much flatter than the GFS and ECM so we'll see how that goes.

Rgem1322.gif

Edited by Certain kind of fool
  • Like 2

Posted

i think those temps will be modified somewhat nearer verification - the GEM and to an extent the UKMO are not as cool. But no doubt there will be some chilly nights and likewise any proper warmth does seems to be eroded as it gets nearer.

Rgem1322.gif

Agreed, but its still bizarre - to think we might have been hoping for those charts in January! 

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

just for the record, frosty normally posts a series of charts from a whole plethora of time scales, and accordingly posts summaries of his thoughts on said charts.....some might verify, some don't.....but to state that cooler, wet weather is set to return on the 25th with one chart (way way out in FI) posted is hardly a valid comparison to frosty's posts......All model discussion is valid in this thread, even LRF modelling such as the CFS, but please, for everyone who views this thread, T192 onwards is for trend spotting, not forecasting per se

Thanks for adding that context. I was pretty confused by the single (rain-dominated!) chart which coldcomfort selected (or cherrypicked?) for Thursday 25th, which seemed somewhat? out of line (to say the least!) with some of the other trends being suggested for later this month. Admittedly anything at all that's suggested for week 2 from now is deep FI anyway, and summerlover though I am, I do keep telling myself that FI is FI and that I should not be building up too much hope for HP to dominate right through to the end of June.

But still. It does seem to me that it's not only settled-weather preferrers on here who show strong preferences/biases.

• Like 2