Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Nice little pressie for me before we leave dymchurch ... Some fantastic deep booming thunder.

Cell looks like the main part is going to be 4-5 miles off shore with ones over land every so often.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just had a couple of close positive CGs - the thunder is AWESOME!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Looks like Dungeness is going to clip a little bit of it, rest looks likely to stay in the Channel??

Posted

Yes just woke up that's what I can here - for the sake of variety the storms are following exactly the same track as those last night - I said to my Mum and Dad at this rate there'll be awful flooding in the channel!!!

Haha. I was with my kids in Great Yarmouth this past week including the very rainy Wednesday whereby the rain stalled across eastern parts and especially the North Sea. I told them that all this rain would probably cause flooding out to sea if it is there for too long!

I am rather jealous, it looks pretty thundery down on that SE tip. This looks like the last decent thundery spell for a while as it is set to turn quieter into September (this appears to be the case most years). Chance for us Northerners/Midlanders of a few rumbles later today and more especially tomorrow in a polar maritime sunshine and showers set up but not the real thunderstorms like those in the SE today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

If only they came inland a few miles instead of being wasted in the channel,same old same old im afraid,why is it so difficult to get a direct hit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Looks like the Pays de Calais is going to get another pasting later too. Worked at a Campsite near Calais in 95. Had a couple of absolute humdingers when I was over there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Haha. I was with my kids in Great Yarmouth this past week including the very rainy Wednesday whereby the rain stalled across eastern parts and especially the North Sea. I told them that all this rain would probably cause flooding out to sea if it is there for too long!

I am rather jealous, it looks pretty thundery down on that SE tip. This looks like the last decent thundery spell for a while as it is set to turn quieter into September (this appears to be the case most years). Chance for us Northerners/Midlanders of a few rumbles later today and more especially tomorrow in a polar maritime sunshine and showers set up but not the real thunderstorms like those in the SE today.

I wouldn't get yourself too worked up about missing out. Almost nothing has made it onshore in the last 24hrs. Sure, there's probably some good viewing from the beach in places but this very quickly gets frustrating if the storms are constantly passing by and you never really get to experience the full effect of the storm.

Last night I didn't go chasing and maybe that was a mistake with hindsight but quite a long way (even for me) to get to the far SE of Kent and got none of the atmospheric flashes back home in Surrey so it Would have meant going some distance to even get that.

Long and short of it is not to get too disheartened - and you haven't missed out if you're looking for a proper overhead storm. September can be a good month - historically we have had some real crackers over the UK at this time of year (I was reading about a few the other night from back in the nineties I think). Sea temps are still good (esp for the SE - as proved the last few nights) and last year there was plenty of lightning activity (albeit somewhat limited in scale) all the way up till October.

Footnote: keep an eye on the models and don't give up hope!

• Like 1

Posted

I wouldn't get yourself too worked up about missing out. Almost nothing has made it onshore in the last 24hrs. Sure, there's probably some good viewing from the beach in places but this very quickly gets frustrating if the storms are constantly passing by and you never really get to experience the full effect of the storm.

Last night I didn't go chasing and maybe that was a mistake with hindsight but quite a long way (even for me) to get to the far SE of Kent and got none of the atmospheric flashes back home in Surrey so it Would have meant going some distance to even get that.

Long and short of it is not to get too disheartened - and you haven't missed out if you're looking for a proper overhead storm. September can be a good month - historically we have had some real crackers over the UK at this time of year (I was reading about a few the other night from back in the nineties I think). Sea temps are still good (esp for the SE - as proved the last few nights) and last year there was plenty of lightning activity (albeit somewhat limited in scale) all the way up till October.

Footnote: keep an eye on the models and don't give up hope!

Completely agree with this. I don't really feel too disheartened as I was never planning to travel as far as Kent to see a storm. I never expected anything and so don't feel I missed out. Indeed I have seen some great storms this year, although there have not been many but those that there have been have virtually all been good.

September and October can produce some very good thunderstorms and I have seen some great storms over the years in September/October. By October the risk is starting to become restricted more to coastal areas but this is not to say they can't occur inland. It still looks quiet for the next 2 weeks though, but the models can and will change. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Arrived in Phoenix, Arizona last night on a work trip to 40C and some beautiful cb's surrounding the city. Once night fell I was treated to some very frequent lightning and some blindingly bright cg's! Great stuff.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Something seems to be building to our NW.....Wolverhampton way

Edit; Some good convergence in the area

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

A chance at least of some beefy showers and thunder accross Yorkshire tonight and tomorrow. Forecasts say lines of showers working down from the north overnight and tomorrow :)

Should be some nice skies and cloudscapes tomorrow anyway as the strong sun gets to work and the cool air comes through!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heatwaves, thunderstorms, cold/snowy spells.

Quite heavy rain here in the heart of the black country at the moment, kind of got a feeling there could be some intense showers with the odd thundersotrm tomorrow as we have cool air with still pretty strong sunshine, similar set up like we had in the spring which brought some decent thunderstorms to the east especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Absolutely massive convective cloudscapes out the back of here now, towards the hills!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I think Cuxhaven will be hit badly very soon http://www.cuxhaven-webcam.de/

It plays music! That's a webcam first for me.

• Like 2

Posted

It plays music! That's a webcam first for me.

Almost constant lightning on that cam.

The choice of music makes for a surreal experience. :laugh:

Posted

Weather warning issued by the Met Office for N Wales, NW England, N England and the N Midlands for this evening, tonight and tomorrow am.

Issued at: 
1638 on Mon 31 Aug 2015

Valid from: 
2000 on Mon 31 Aug 2015

Valid to: 
1000 on Tue 1 Sep 2015

Showers affecting parts of northern England and north Wales through Monday afternoon may merge together on Monday evening to give a period of more prolonged and at times very heavy rainfall. This will then sink southeastwards through parts of the Midlands and East Anglia overnight and into Tuesday morning.

There is a great deal of uncertainty in these developments with many areas only seeing small amounts of rainfall. Where the heaviest rain falls some localised flooding is possible and the public should be aware of the potential for disruption. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/

I wonder if there could be the odd thunderstorm amongst this? There is some weak CAPE, decent lapse rates and some deep layer shear. Tomorrow afternoon these parameters all look to get better briefly but this is after this warning expires. Something to watch at least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms

Just as a quick reminder, can we please keep this thread open solely for UK storm discussion. Please post in this thread if you would like to discuss the storms in Europe.

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/83731-european-storm-convective-discussion/

Thanks,

Scott

BOOOOOOOOOO LOL