Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sky to the east and south going ape - continuous lightning and occasional rumbles. Looks stunning!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Watching in my back garden,so near yet so far,bloody channel and france get all the fun,its not fair

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold! Winter :)

Id love to look out to sea and watch those storms off over the continent. Its definitely on my bucket list :p

Some of the lightning rates have been crazy round France this year. Ive never seen a storm like that ever, and ive been to Florida lol. Never seen constant flashes. WOW i hope i get to one day :)

Edited by Winter Cold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Looking more likely some of the south mainland will see something later. Would love to drive down to the beach and watch but I'm gonna have a few drinks instead and hope the fun comes to me :-P

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

More cells appearing further west by the looks of it. Hopefully get something a bit later on.

Posted

Just been sat on the beach looking out towards France and Belgium, amazing strikerate from that storm, multiple flickers every second and a few closer strikes with visible fork. Still humid as the onshore breeze was warm. Fingers crossed we get a clipper during tonight.

Posted

Just been sat on the beach looking out towards France and Belgium, amazing strikerate from that storm, multiple flickers every second and a few closer strikes with visible fork. Still humid as the onshore breeze was warm. Fingers crossed we get a clipper during tonight.

Yep definitely concur, me, my mum and bf just got back from a walk down to the seafront - absolutely stunning display, flashing certainly every second (sometimes multiple per second) across the whole NE/E/SE sky line, occasional deep rumbles - groups of people steadily turned up to watch and there were a few solo viewers (I had pangs of empathy). Was gazing to my SSW hoping for some potentially inbound flickers but could only make out reflections from the Belgian/French beast.

Based on model runs/charts shown earlier this is so far going to plan, initially active cells missing the Kent coast, with more widespread popcorn action developing nearer midnight through to the wee hours.

Not over yet and if we get anything remotely like what I've just watched, hummana hummana hummana

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

Posted

Oh 'ave a look at what's firing off over N France :yahoo:

Fingers crossed it all holds together as that lot is tearing towards the SE-UK currently

Posted

Hi @ all

Wow, amazing barrage of strikes in the channel and over the low Countries. This is so typical for the "Warm air intrusion" type of thunderstorms. Here we have warm moist subtropical air in a thin layer layer pushing over cold air of polar origin. Additional lift is supplied by pressure drop transporting it up into the colder upper layers of the troposphere. The wave nature of the warm air from the south combined with the cooler air at sea level coming from the north is a textbook example in this case. These type of thunderstorms can be of the most violent type and diurnal heating is not required here. Often overlooked in the charts.. 

Hopefully some action tonight in Sussex and Kent.

Regards

Ralph

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looking at the most recent BBC forecast and based on recent TAFs, E Sussex, Kent, SE London and S Essex perhaps seeing storms, currently spreading out of Normandy into the Channel, passing through later. Only airport TAF in London and the SE showing thunder is Southend between 9pm and 3pm:

EGMC 301957Z 3021/3106 03008KT 9999 BKN018 BECMG 3021/3024 BKN012 TEMPO 3021/3104 6000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 3021/3103 3000 +TSRA BR BKN006 BKN040CB BECMG 3103/3106 3000 BR BKN003

Chance that the area of storms moving NE over the Channel may expand westward aswell, but far SE probably the sweet spot.

On another note, I would quite happily have been stranded in Calais tonight by the striking dockers, only to watch the storms though.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

Weird how the wind direction at sea level was almost directly opposite the storm movement. A few low fluffy clouds heading towards my SW but below the darker stormclouds going N/NE. Still lots of flashes, radar looks promising for the bunch coming from Caen way..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I appear to be a bit to far west for this area of storms, good luck all those in the SE.

Posted

That stuff coming out of cherbourg peninsula seems to have a more northerly/north north east track rather than going to the east also at quit a pace too on the rain radar.

Edited by steve86

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Perhaps a bit too far North here but it is raining here now even though the front now appears to have moved North of us. Pretty with warm out there this evening though. Hope you guys darn staff get lots of action: starting to look good now on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms of any kind, Snow

Flashes and distant rumbles every 5-10 seconds here....much more frequent than blitz says!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

Flashes and distant rumbles every 5-10 seconds here....much more frequent than blitz says!

Yeah - it's probably elevated hence more c-c and intacloud strikes. I'm not an expert though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Can't here it here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

I have my eyes peeled to the sferics off the coast of NW France even though it won't come anywhere near me, it seems to be considerably further west than the other storms so hopefully!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Can hear the distant rumbles from here with the flashes close enough to light up the sky to the south. Will it hold together tonight to reach land?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Can hear the thunder now, distant but better than nothing