Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Does anyone know what's allowing the formation of these showers/storms, I presume there's an unstable airflow of the Atlantic? But what's allowing these to form that forecasters haven't seen?

More sferics, towards North Bristol now.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Does anyone know what's allowing the formation of these showers/storms, I presume there's an unstable airflow of the Atlantic? But what's allowing these to form that forecasters haven't seen?

More sferics, towards North Bristol now.

This may have no bearing but I notice that the 546 dam line is pretty much running through the Bristol Channel. Normally quite lively weather is associated with this line. The jet stream may be helping. CAPE and LI are pretty non-existent, there are no evident wind convergences and air/surface temperatures are pretty unimpressive. 

Some powerful looking cells appearing around the Bristol Channel again. The channel does a good job at pepping up showers from August-November, and especially in August and September over the years has been helpful in brewing thundery activity - 04th August 2012, 25th August 2012, 06th September 2013 and 10th October 2014 are good examples. Fingers crossed for some isolated storms later on.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

Absolutely throwing it down for last half hour, no thunder though

• Like 1

Posted

Got a few pictures of the shower to my SE, very impressive structure and looks to be back building also!post-18097-0-19781900-1440679036_thumb.jpost-18097-0-22923700-1440679070_thumb.j

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

A nice heavy/torrential downpour has just passed through here. Makes a change!  :D

Edited by William Grimsley
  • Like 1

Posted

Got a few pictures of the storm to my SE, very impressive structure and looks to be back building also!attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ben, it's not a storm! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Some real torrential showers have been passing through here this morning. Some dodgy moments on my way into work couldn't see a thing through the windscreen!

Spring 2015 really lacked convective days like this, and as we approach early autumn I find these setups start becoming more common again. I often see more hail and lightning from these showers than 'plumes' during the summer...even if it is just a few flashes and rumbles...

• Like 1

Posted

Ben, it's not a storm! :D

Alright William, my mistake! Fine it is only just a shower just got excited:)

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted

The cumulonimbus cloud that produced the recent heavy/torrential downpour here. Looking ENE.

post-21578-0-90166900-1440681396_thumb.j

A cumulonimbus cloud. Looking WSW.

post-21578-0-95520500-1440681457_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Some real torrential showers have been passing through here this morning. Some dodgy moments on my way into work couldn't see a thing through the windscreen!

Spring 2015 really lacked convective days like this, and as we approach early autumn I find these setups start becoming more common again. I often see more hail and lightning from these showers than 'plumes' during the summer...even if it is just a few flashes and rumbles...

I also find that as the autumn wares on, cells become more widespread rather than moving in a linear fashion as they so often do in the summer months.

Seems the heaviest downpours have come and gone here. Been quite sunny since late morning.

Spring showers and Autumn showers are better in terms of area coverage usually.. But as for intensity, well, sometimes they can really pack a punch, last year I remember watching pea sized hail for most of the day in Autumn (in the showers) 

Where as, in summer with thunderstorms and showers, usually a lot more focused 

Here is a pic I got this morning of the monster shower that came through.. 

post-12648-0-22920900-1440682036_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Quite right, Surrey. I don't know whether it's just my location, but other than lightning frequency and occasionally rainfall intensity, it's rPm airmasses that bring the most dramatic weather/storms here - in fact they prove more impressive than most plume storms. Hail, strong winds, gunshot thunder that causes power cuts and car alarms to go off, high rainfall totals etc. and of course the brilliant cloudscapes.

NB: This is my 6666th post...  :spiteful:

Edited by MP-R
  • Like 1

Quite right, Surrey. I don't know whether it's just my location, but other than lightning frequency and occasionally rainfall intensity, it's rPm airmasses that bring the most dramatic weather/storms here - in fact they prove more impressive than most plume storms. Hail, strong winds, gunshot thunder that causes power cuts and car alarms to go off, high rainfall totals etc. and of course the brilliant cloudscapes.

Cloudscapes I can only imagine look better in spring and Autumn because there is less moisture in the air in terms of crud and low level cloud associated with any plume events?? 

• Like 1

Posted

Cloudscapes I can only imagine look better in spring and Autumn because there is less moisture in the air in terms of crud and low level cloud associated with any plume events?? 

The best convective month here was April 2012, I remember a severe hail storm rolled in from the south west one day and within 10 minutes all of the house, driveway and garden was covered in pea size hail with piles of hail at the opening of gutters. Also, I remember many days with frequent torrential downpours and hail but strangely I don't remember any thunder that month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

The best convective month here was April 2012, I remember a severe hail storm rolled in from the south west one day and within 10 minutes all of the house, driveway and garden was covered in pea size hail with piles of hail at the opening of gutters. Also, I remember many days with frequent torrential downpours and hail but strangely I don't remember any thunder that month.

April 2012 had to be one of the most dire months I've ever had the misery of witnessing!!

Only good thing that came of that year was the supercells on the 28th June and perhaps August the 25th.

Posted

Other than being often miserable, the convective days of April 2012 were indeed fun. I heard thunder on the 12th, 19th and 25th of that month. Though August of that year was very thundery here with thunder on the 02nd, 04th, 05th, 12th, 21st, 25th and 29th. 2012 apart, I have found May and October the best convective months in recent years.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

That line of showers on the radar is heading my way. Looking fairly impressive at the moment and very dark. Sun is still on full bore, plus met office now have heavy rain for 7 o'clock. Didn't see anything much forecast today though.

Posted

Other than being often miserable, the convective days of April 2012 were indeed fun. I heard thunder on the 12th, 19th and 25th of that month. Though August of that year was very thundery here with thunder on the 02nd, 04th, 05th, 12th, 21st, 25th and 29th. 2012 apart, I have found May and October the best convective months in recent years.

Yeah, I have to agree, I found June 2012 was also pretty convective as well when a big thunderstorm crossed overhead here on 28th June 2012 (MCS Day) but unfortunately I slept through it though luckily I have witnessed more intense thunderstorms recently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Over the last several years I have found July to be the best month for thunderstorms. Really it depends where you live though.

This year has not seen many convective episodes but those I have seen have been impressive (with the exception of those failed plumes which never materialised).

It is still 2 months away from the end of the storm season though, so hopefully plenty more to come.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

There does seem to have been a very distinct lack of thundery shower set ups this year. However I do feel there has been an increase of more MCS type storms in recent years such as the July 3rd type events. I feel there has been more intense set ups like those in recent years. Almost every year since 2008 seems to have had at least 1 major thunderstorm either right at the end of June or in July here. Never August though....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

July had 5 thunder days here, August 2 - buy we had 3 storms on the same day Saturday and another on Sunday so it kind of balances out.

June was totally thunderless.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I appear to have been quite lucky this year with storms, having 7 thundery events that I have witnessed so far. The best storm I have witnessed in my life was July 2014. I can't remember what day it was,  but at one point there was lightning every 3-5 seconds! 

Edited by Rain123
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.

I think I heard thunder...

UPDATE: Oh, sorry it was a truck. Now how do I delete this post. 

Edited by Rain123
  • Like 2