Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm & Convective Discussion - 20th August 2015 onwards

Supacell

Posted

Sun has broken through here and it sure feels warm, lovely day for a football match followed by a storm! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Newport on the IOW is at 28.1'c and Wooten is also at 28!, loads and loads of AcCas around aswell!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Latest forecast puts the chance of storms over north midlands then moving northward in the evening.

Sun has broken through here and it sure feels warm, lovely day for a football match followed by a storm! 

If the temps stay where they are and don't get any higher. Anything above the present values don't make pleasant viewing and tend to make for rubbish football as the players don't like the heat either. Against that if the temps stay where they are that reduces chances of a storm as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Latest forecast puts the chance of storms over north midlands then moving northward in the evening.

If the temps stay where they are and don't get any higher. Anything above the present values don't make pleasant viewing and tend to make for rubbish football as the players don't like the heat either. Against that if the temps stay where they are that reduces chances of a storm as well.

Well I've got Sheff Wed vs Leeds on TV whilst I have lunch and if your analysis is anything to go by, the temperatures are already too high. Dreadful football  :closedeyes:

Posted

The Doncaster Net Wx skew-t predict at06z is not far different from what I suggested using the Watnall 00z data, tops perhaps not quite as high.

I would be pretty surprised if those parts that get to 25-27C or more with Td of 14C+ some as high as 17+C do not get storms developing. One other thing to look for, well more than one, are very local effects, so

1) pressure falling increasing rising air

2)wind variations, convergent winds, much as the model showed yesterday although not necessarily in the places it might occur today

3)areas of high ground giving increased risk of air rising pretty quickly enhancing storm probabilities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Stuff over France looking at lightning maps, you would think this was going to be a Kent clipper scenario!! Definite NE movement of the electrical activity rather than N.

Relying on stuff developing in the next few hours.

Posted

Stuff over France looking at lightning maps, you would think this was going to be a Kent clipper scenario!! Definite NE movement of the electrical activity rather than N.

see my post above-its local not imported for your area today

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well I've got Sheff Wed vs Leeds on TV whilst I have lunch and if your analysis is anything to go by, the temperatures are already too high. Dreadful football  :closedeyes:

One of the few games I would hope both sides lose heavily.

Thanks John all eyes on the temperatures. No sign of any convection looking east as off yet just normal cumulus.

Posted

see my post above-its local not imported for your area today

Fully aware buddy. Soon as I see developments, I could well be heading up your way this evening if things look good.

Posted

same here, I suspect T=28C may be the value, with Td 16+C that is the local starting point.

Posted

Extremely capped environment here in NW Kent/SE London. Beautiful cirrus in the sky earlier too.

Very warm but by no means humid.

I think anyone holding out hopes in the SE quarter of the UK will be disappointed.

I'm going to throw my dart at the map and pick somewhere between Derby, Telford and Liverpool as a focal point today...just a bit of fun going on a hunch.

Posted

I'm in Tatton Park today after giving up on a trip to Llandudno. Sun keeps breaking out and it's really humid. Not felt humidity like this in a long time,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Extremely capped environment here in NW Kent/SE London. Beautiful cirrus in the sky earlier too.

Very warm but by no means humid.

I think anyone holding out hopes in the SE quarter of the UK will be disappointed.

I'm going to throw my dart at the map and pick somewhere between Derby, Telford and Liverpool as a focal point today...just a bit of fun going on a hunch.

Horrid around here,

Been blazing sun all morning, 28.4c here now. Quite humid, no wind.

Its not a nice day. ( although its a nice day ) if you get what I mean... Quite uncomfortable.  (71% hum )

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I doubt they will go that far east, 500mb steering flow is SSWly atm, though backing Sly to SSEly this evening and overnight as an upper shortwave trough swings in to the SW backing the upper flow.

Recent obs suggest some weak convergence across N Midlands and southern Pennines, vis satellite showing cloud breaks appearing on the eastern edge of the frontal cloud band too, just need those temps to up a bit too and we may see the cap break.

post-1052-0-44786000-1440246285_thumb.gipost-1052-0-14653000-1440246358_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I really hope we get something today. About time we had a big storm, it's been 12 years.

if Man united can lose then that would be a start lol. :-)

Posted

I doubt they will go that far east, 500mb steering flow is SSWly atm, though backing Sly to SSEly this evening and overnight as an upper shortwave trough swings in to the SW backing the upper flow.

Recent obs suggest some weak convergence across N Midlands and southern Pennines, vis satellite showing cloud breaks appearing on the eastern edge of the frontal cloud band too, just need those temps to up a bit too and we may see the cap break.

attachicon.gifwind_1308.gifattachicon.gifsat_1310.JPG

Cheers for that Nick. Certainly feeling the juice now I must say. Touching 28-29c here now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

You want to see the sky here! It is fabulous! Ac Cas all over!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Looks like Devon and Cornwall will get lots of rain going by bbc graphics for this evening and overnight, hopefully some thunderstorms imbedded for us

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Looks like Devon and Cornwall will get lots of rain going by bbc graphics for this evening and overnight, hopefully some thunderstorms imbedded for us

We should see some thunder embedded in this. :)

• Like 1

Posted

26c/16c here now and feels humid. The sun is out with just some shallow cumulus scattered about. It does not look convective yet but it feels it.

I am looking at somewhere like the NW Midlands into the Peak District as good later this afternoon and then this expands north into Yorkshire and Cheshire areas.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

First shower has started firing up really quickly to my South in the Channel, Im keeping an eye on this, on Sat24 its gone up very quick

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Here in hot bedford, i have a very strong breeze and the sky is popping with cumulus clouds. I dare say these will be storms later on.