Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 18z 30/09/15

phil nw.

Posted

I see potential in the evening ECM; far from a horror show, the lack of zonality this Autumn is perplexing. Who really cares if we do not have cold air in the short to medium term for any real cold synoptic of value we must look further out.

T168

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I agree.....end of Feb. would be nice.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Well model output as just got very interesting ,and i,m sure its going to get a whole lot more interesting .

I think the 8/10 day period could go any way but it looks like an area of high pressure will be very critical as to what weather we get at the surface but my glass is certainly half full with current charts ,news worthy weather i think somewhere in europe as if as i expect our low next week could slip south  east but no guarantee .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Hello Everyone! Its quite clear from the Ecm And Gfs  that the theme is for an Atlantic Domination....! At T+240 take the captions below with a tanker load of salt! The Atlantic and jet stream is winding up now , so it looks like a turbulent and angry :angry:  end to the month, but  the :diablo:  will be in the Detail!

Yes indeed, and while admittedly the block is proving quite a resilient feature, judging by these two charts it would appear, as is often the case with these setups, that Ireland will feel the wind of change more than anyone else.Still, the GEFS calling for a relaxation of the trough post day 11, as highlighted by knocker, may suggest a return to something less palatable for those seeking action weather..long term!!

PS  Amazed Frosty didn't come out of hibernation owing to ECM's false dawn yesterday.  WISE MAN!!    :yahoo:

post-17830-0-67164400-1445460165_thumb.j

post-17830-0-77859300-1445460185_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

I agree.....end of Feb. would be nice.

Completely possible in your neck of the woods.  :D

• Like 1

Posted

The ext ecm tonight is looking at the usual tale of trough to the NW and block to the NE with perhaps everything slipping slightly east by the end of the period. Still there is much potential flowering between now and then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

GFS at 144z takes some energy north of the UK which inhibits high pressure development there.

Ukmo does not.So if GFS has it wrong then analising the rest of the run is fruitless.

Edit.

ECM going with UKMO regarding not splitting the energy which is my preferred outcome going forward

post-8269-0-67152400-1445495617_thumb.gi

post-8269-0-79757700-1445495641_thumb.pn

post-8269-0-30657200-1445495954_thumb.gi

Edited by winterof79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looks like we have some parity with respect to the early next week storm from the models with the LP system stalling around the west of the UK and taking 3-4 days to fill in situ. The three main models:

post-14819-0-83454200-1445495925_thumb.p post-14819-0-20072600-1445495926_thumb.p post-14819-0-53094700-1445495926_thumb.g

So the further west the higher rain totals as it is currently being modelled: post-14819-0-19237400-1445496145_thumb.p

We have the cold front clearing east Friday into Saturday bringing some rain, before the rain associated with the LP system comes in on Monday.

The latest means from the top three at D10 are consistent with the long wave pattern (subtle variations that can be attributed to known bias):

post-14819-0-09977100-1445496479_thumb.g  post-14819-0-56747400-1445496479_thumb.p  post-14819-0-02214500-1445496480_thumb.p

These tie in with last weekend GEFS means for that time period, so little change in the medium term. Looking further ahead into the realm of true FI and at D16 there is still no pronounced signal for a classic Atlantic onslaught. The latest CFS weeklies for the first half of November tie in with the continuation of the Azores High staying rigid and feeding positive heights into our E/NE:

post-14819-0-14282700-1445496877_thumb.g

Not a bad outlook compared to some recent years.

• Like 1

Posted

A good summary IDO. The large Scandinavian anti cyclone catches the eye in the extended period this morning.

If it stays in situ for a while, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, it may bring some early below average temperatures into the near continent.

Should it hang around for another three weeks or so, then Nov 2009 looms in my mind.

• Like 2

Posted

The GEFS 6-10 anomaly continues with the trough to the NW, HP away down in the SW giving a zonal westerly flow with any dodgy weather more prone to the northern half of the UK. The 11-15 also continues the retreat of the trough to the Greenland/Iceland area so the zonal flow is more influenced by the HP pushing up from the south. With the ridging being maintained Scandinavia there are no apparent signs of anything nefarious lurking in the woodshed.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/

post-12275-0-06585800-1445499928_thumb.p

post-12275-0-30076700-1445499936_thumb.p

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The last two GFS runs are parodies of Nov 2009, though with blocking to the NE becoming more influential in the 12-16 day period than was seen that month.

In the shorter term, there's emerging evidence in the N. Atlantic of what happens when you take cold Arctic air across some anomalously cold waters and bring it up against subtropical air that's been basking over anomalously warm waters... phenomenal baroclinic instability and Atlantic storms going kaboom.

Despite this, we have signs of jet amplification capable of being the catalyst for a classic step-by-step retrogression of blocking to our NE closer to our shores. If that transpires, the shape of the block will be a major determining factor for how chilly it gets; a block that kind of 'sags' south at any point - as seen in the GFS 00z det. run +240 to +336 hours - will take cold continental air sourced from NE Russia down close to the eastern Med. before it turns west and heads our way. That modifies the air substantially both at the 850 hPa and surface levels so it wouldn't be any use for wintry weather over here.

Get more of a straight west-east under the high and the cold air can move west more rapidly and without travelling as far south. The 18z GFS det. yesterday was closer to this but still far from ideal:

h850t850eu.png

With the ECM 00z det. the draw of cold air is impressive but the shape of the high is not. Too far ahead and too uncertain to be worried about at this stage of course - for all we know the dramatic airmass contrasts going on in the North Atlantic will blow the blocking away. As much as it seems strange to think that the models could 'miss' such a thing at the longer range, the models are notorious for 'carrot-dangling', which I gather is most likely a product of making too many assumptions about the atmosphere, with simplification causing some important small details to be lost.

I do wonder how long the UK is going to be spared from the Atlantic 'bombs' for. Again and again, a ridge of high pressure seems to come to our rescue!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

GEM has a very deep low near Greenland at the end of its run for most of the UK its settled and relatively mild

gem-0-240.png?00

ECM though has a SE'ly flow

ECM1-240.GIF?22-12

GFS meanwhile has the center of the low south of Iceland leaving the UK in a SW'ly flow and fairly windy for most parts with the strongest gusts for the far west of Scotland and Ireland

gfs-0-240.png?0

• Like 1

Posted

To continue with a rather bland assessment of the forthcoming evolution  The ecm anomaly has trough just to the SW, ridging over Scandinavia and some ridging to the west. Fits in pretty well with the ops consensus of low pressure over or adjacent to the UK. This analysis rapidly changes to a trough Greenland orientated to the west of the UK which will have a tendency to track systems emanating over Canada east then NE over the northern half of the UK. In the ext period with the Scandinavian ridge nudging east the trough to the NW and HP edging up from the south creates a zonal westerly flow.

post-12275-0-82292300-1445506613_thumb.p

post-12275-0-15752600-1445506622_thumb.p

• Like 1

Posted

GEM has a very deep low near Greenland at the end of its run for most of the UK its settled and relatively mild

gem-0-240.png?00

ECM though has a SE'ly flow

ECM1-240.GIF?22-12

GFS meanwhile has the center of the low south of Iceland leaving the UK in a SW'ly flow and fairly windy for most parts with the strongest gusts for the far west of Scotland and Ireland

gfs-0-240.png?0

What I read into this is the Atlantic firing up but still failing to make decent inroads into the UK. A tiny chance perhaps of a Scandi HP alligned in a way that brings a colder and colder easterly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I think the sw northeast track of low pressure systems is not the likely outcome but battle ground Britain.

But judging on recent heights and longevity of the heights is a key factor moving on.

I certainly would not bin the ukmo and would favor blends of all models excellent post this morning from nosuka mjo is ramping up through the gears and certainly with those routes projected by the mjo 09/10 could be plausible.

Squeeze of heights to me low pressure moving out of the north Atlantic on a more south east trying to undercut but stalling up against the block but far from a repeat of last year.

But more runs needed and nothing cold yet but I more interested on where next.

I'm quietly optimistic for now

• Like 1

Posted

After the disagreements of recent days broad agreement at least for the pattern in Europe however it starts to go pearshaped upstream in the eastern Pacific.

This brings a question mark later as to how far east and se any troughing gets. The degree of amplitude upstream will determine this as this will either help force high pressure further north like the ECM or the flatter GFS 00hrs solution.

Its to be noted that the GFS 06hrs run is more amplified than the earlier 00hrs and this helps to edge the pattern west with a stronger ridge nw, a bit more like the UKMO but still not as amplified as the ECM( we've been here before with the ECM!).

If you look at comments from NCEP this morning:

THE GENERAL THEME OF THE FCST REMAINS INTACT... WITH AN EVOLUTION
TOWARD GREATER AMPLITUDE OF FEATURES ALOFT.  BY TUE-THU EXPECT AN
ERN PAC TROUGH TO APPROACH/REACH THE WEST COAST BEHIND A WRN NOAM
RIDGE WHILE A TROUGH HEADS INTO THE EAST.

The UKMO does not amplify the pattern in the eastern Pacific at T144hrs, given the ECM and GFS both do then the former is for the timebeing an outlier solution for that region.

Moving forward the outlook is likely to be troughing near the UK and high pressure to the east or ne so the UK likely to be the battleground. The question really is how much energy gets disrupted off that trough and this will be effected by the pattern in the eastern USA.

If the pattern upstream is more amplified then a slow change to colder conditions as the continental flow gets cut off from a warmer Med input as low heights develop in that region. If its flatter then more average to milder, if energy spills over the block then much milder a bit like this mornings GFS 00hrs run.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

very interesting weather patterns showing on todays charts in the longer outlook .

As nick sussex points out the UK could become a Battle zone , which will make for some interesting discussions on our forums and hopefully a few more posters will join in ,i,m realy looking forward to the coming Months ,who knows what mother nature will cook up this winter ,some interesting things happening now across the northern hemisphere lets hope it can be the same as we progress .

Well i,m going to Dust off my weather journals have a good read get out the pack of straws ,pram out from the garage check the prozack supply and rig up the winter halogen light for flake spotting ,IS frosty in hibernation i miss those colourfull charts . :drinks:

• Like 8

Posted

A glance at the GEFS upgrade for 00z gives an idea how mobile the pattern is for while next week ( i realise of course the anomalies are pretty rough). The upper trough to the SW earlier in the week soon gives way to a more vigorous trough to the west which in itself is quite transitory. It the settles down as the Scandinavian block gets a second wind and the trough settles to the NW giving a zonal westerly flow.

Charts courtesy weatherbell

post-12275-0-89559300-1445520244_thumb.p

post-12275-0-47047800-1445520255_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

A battleground scenario becoming more and more pronounced in the medium term with the probability of a certain little isle in green copping some appreciable rainfall totals. Still signs however of a weakening of any further trough activity, even further west  beyond Day 10 due to a strengthening of the block further east.

post-17830-0-92967400-1445528992_thumb.j

post-17830-0-33530200-1445529004_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

The thorn in the Goldie's side the Azores high but could be the precursor of things to come either aiding further on or losing to low pressure there for allowing lows to undercut scandi heights.

No real full on attack by the Atlantic just the western side effected but I can see this progressing towards a easterly in time which don't matter how long just need some real dig of cold air to our east.

• Like 1

Posted

Marked differences between the GFS and UKMO at T144hrs.

The UKMO is much more amplified upstream, the GFS much flatter. The UKMO does leave that low to the north at T144hrs which does complicate what could happen next but given the upstream pattern a pressure rise to the n/nw could happen as WAA ahead of that digging Atlantic trough seems likely to happen.

The UKMO is more amplified than this mornings ECM 00hrs so the interest will be on whether the ECM backs this later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter is frost and snow/summer is heatwaves

The met office going for colder weather the end of month...

post-21426-0-00598400-1445532701_thumb.p

Edited by abbie123456