Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted

Thanks for the response. You prompted me to take a look at where 1.2 is exactly... turns out I forgot that it's actually displaced a little south of the equator  :fool:

That explains 1.2 having greater anomalies - currently +2.8*C compared with just under +2.4*C for 3.4.

Having located the latest advisory (http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.pdf) I can see that the situation has changed quite a bit since Trenberth's webinar, with 1.2 overtaking 3.4 during the past month. I imagine that's due to some large sub-surface anomalies extending up to the surface.

This is why I often regret posts I make later than around 11 pm... I tend not to research them properly  :nonono:  :rolleyes:

Dr Michael Ventrice is the one you should be crediting!

The jury still out on which flavour of Nino - Jamstec index still in positive outlook    P12qfST.gif

The newly updated N. American models have too much warmth on the coast for Modoki classification: that could still change though.

OgSMhQX.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I very much agree with Gavin P's claim, that we're in uncharted territory; there are no analogues?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

I would love a month like December 2010 or a different extreme like December 2006 or January 1990. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Looking at the monster wwb, an MJO forecast which will get in the mix prior to month end then again later, I think the region 1 anomaly in the webinar is already historic.

Modoki for end Jan Feb that's a different element as Nino peaks and wanes.

As for analog years yes very limited dataset, New territory with strength of Nino. Means a lot more tricky to find good patterns.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Dr Michael Ventrice is the one you should be crediting!

The newly updated N. American models have too much warmth on the coast for Modoki classification: that could still change though.

How did I do that... I knew it was Ventrice as I credited the webinar to him in an earlier post on the forum  :fool:

I've never been good with names  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the extra info regarding the possible Modoki :good: ...but I have wonder if it's too late for any changes to have much of an influence on the winter anyway? After all, it takes time for the effects to propagate across.

Posted

How did I do that... I knew it was Ventrice as I credited the webinar to him in an earlier post on the forum  :fool:

I've never been good with names  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the extra info regarding the possible Modoki :good: ...but I have wonder if it's too late for any changes to have much of an influence on the winter anyway? After all, it takes time for the effects to propagate across.

Not always across so to speak CP vs EP ninos have different impacts on strat.

Nino update from CPC out later today as is MJO, IIRC monthly model cluster usually after mid month.

Depends what you are looking at Nino for,as definitive imprints for Europe are less marked than CONUS. The GLAAM state accompanying Nino though is going to be fun..Esp after that Nina ish grind over last winter.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

I posted this on Gavin's video, but my gut feeling for this winter is something along the lines of 2011-12 of recent years. I think we will have a mild and stormy December, followed by a mixed January and then the "main" cold spell of the winter will be in February. Not really much science in that prediction, about from the consideration of the El Nino mainly.

That's not a million miles from 2004/05. Then we had a weak El Nino, wQBO (albeit weakening and it reversed in Jan), and we were at approximately the same point in the solar cycle.

Edited by Yarmy
  • Like 1

Posted

https://twitter.com/blizzardof96/status/653556653133008896

Latest ENSO plume from UKMO.

Cluster peaking late Dec into Jan visible.

Edited by lorenzo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

https://twitter.com/jnmet/status/653564850099122176

Here's another of his tweets - classic El Nino pattern for winter

Edited by chionomaniac
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

December 1990 was an absolute stonker, Birmingham city centre was an absolute ghost town on a weekend 3 weeks before xmas - 9-th 10th DEcember (roughly) after the pasting on the Friday night before.

Posted
Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

High pressure to the north and southerly tracking lows! Sounds like a good forecast for the UK cold wise from accu weather - another one that will probably be torn to shreds come April!

Posted

High pressure to the north and southerly tracking lows! Sounds like a good forecast for the UK cold wise from accu weather - another one that will probably be torn to shreds come April!

That was my thinking too. So why say that London & Paris will escape the cold? :cc_confused:

Posted

I'm struggling to see how high pressure to the North of the UK would fail to bring much colder conditions to the UK.

Seems like they expect the UK to be on the battleground between air masses, with no one air mass predominant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

It did seem a little odd to me. If Scandinavia is "abnormally" cold then that implies the PV setting up shop over there. I could see us having a snowy winter in that scenario; with that cold air able to filter out and impact the UK under the right synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

What on earth is 'seasonal'?? Lol in all fairness if there is a storm track that far south then we will get loads of.opportunities for snow with east and North East and northerly winds frequently in the making. unless I'm reading things wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Yes with low pressure to the south it seems a bit hard to see why we can't be colder than normal. But cold typically tends to bypass in all ways possible unless it has to anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

It was so much simpler when Big Joe worked for them and forecast a BRUTAL winter.

Every year.

• Like 5

Posted

It did seem a little odd to me. If Scandinavia is "abnormally" cold then that implies the PV setting up shop over there. I could see us having a snowy winter in that scenario; with that cold air able to filter out and impact the UK under the right synoptics.

Definitely true whenever there is apbnormal cold in Scandinavia there is always a chance the UK could tap into it under right synoptic as you say. Long range weather forecasting is a fickle business, could anyone share what there thoughts were for last winter? I do think there will be a southerly tracking jet, with the jet being rebounded south - by cold Atlantic & extensive HP over northern latitudes, so a wet winter for the med IMO. The Scottish mountains/hills will do remarkably well. I will be very startled if UK does not have at least 1 notable cold spell the telecommunications are a total reverse to last year, so there are reasons to be hopeful.