Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted

It's what drove me back and make that 40-80 feet. The violins are reaching a crescendo PM.

do they still have dedicated weather ships? and did you have to endure all weathers or relocate when severe storms were headed your way?

Posted

do they still have dedicated weather ships? and did you have to endure all weathers or relocate when severe storms were headed your way?

I think Polar Front is the last which manned station Mike off NW Norway but I've a idea I read recently that this too has ceased. But I might have dreamt it.

No we stayed on station. well roughly.(No pun intended)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I think you posted a thread not long back Knock about the last Weather Ship finnishing,

Posted

I think Polar Front is the last which manned station Mike off NW Norway but I've a idea I read recently that this too has ceased. But I might have dreamt it.

No we stayed on station. well roughly.(No pun intended)

just googled it. Polar Front was withdrawn from service jan 1st 2010. which one were you on?

Posted

just googled it. Polar Front was withdrawn from service jan 1st 2010. which one were you on?

Found it. :D

post-2839-0-32997500-1444846867_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Posted

These two.

I think you posted a thread not long back Knock about the last Weather Ship finnishing,

I think you are correct PM. My senility is more advanced than I thought.

post-12275-0-12250300-1444848302_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

These two.

I think you are correct PM. My senility is more advanced than I thought.

ex- castle class frigates. they even used flower class corvettes before that! that would have been quite hairy in a full blown atlantic storm!

anyway, here's a link which might interest you-

http://www.weatherships.co.uk/

Posted

ex- castle class frigates. they even used flower class corvettes before that! that would have been quite hairy in a full blown atlantic storm!

anyway, here's a link which might interest you-

http://www.weatherships.co.uk/

I am familiar with the link but thanks all the same.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow. snow and more snow

I am familiar with the link but thanks all the same.

In my ignorance I had never even heard about weather ships. So glad that link was put on here, really interesting to read and learn!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

In my ignorance I had never even heard about weather ships. So glad that link was put on here, really interesting to read and learn!

Was his former username

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

I've posted it before but do so again as it might be of interest to new folk, my comments on the 62-63 winter working just south of Nottingham.

admin/mods please delete if it is too long.

Data for RCAF Langar for the 1962-1963 winters, with a comparison with 1947

(Temperatures are all in deg C)

Langar is about 10 miles ese of Nottingham in a slight ‘bowl’ with minor hills all around it. The diary as such starts on December 26th 1962 and finishes at the end of February 1963.

General notes

The ground was snow covered continuously (Met Office definition for =/>half cover) for 44 days from 26.12.62 until 8.2.63

(At my parent’s house near Chesterfield, Derbyshire that was extended until 27th February,

A total of  63 days).

The ground at Langar was continuously frozen from 22nd December 1962 until 4th March 1963, a total of 63 days.

There was an air frost on every night, apart from 4, between 22nd December 1962 and 4th March 1963. (The only nights without frost were; 5.6.28 and 29th January)

There were 32 consecutive nights with frost from 1st February 1963 to 4th March 1963.

And there was a continuous frost(air temperature constantly below 0C) from 1500Z on 18th January 1963 until 0900Z on 26th January 1963(186 hours); put another way, almost a WHOLE week!!

There was 3.73 inches of rain (and melted snow) from 1 October 1962 to 28 February 1963

This = 38% of the average.

Monthly figures for the start of the cold spell on 22nd December 1962

Date     min       max      mean

22         -4.4       2.2        -1.1

23         -6.1       0.6        -2.8

24         -9.3       0.0        -4.7

25         -11.8     -3.9       -7.9

26         -11.1     2.2        -4.5

27         -1.4       1.1        -0.2

28         -7.7       -2.2       -5.0

29         -5.1       -1.7       -3.4

30         -1.7       0.0        -0.9

31         -0.6       0.6        0.0       

Mean temp for 10 days = -3.0C

Values for January 1963

1          -0.1       0.7        0.3

2          -1.3       -0.6       -1.0

3          -0.7       0.5        -0.1

4          -0.1       1.0        0.5

5          0.6        1.1        0.9

6          1.1        1.8        1.5

7          -3.5       1.3        -1.1

8          -5.7       0.7        -2.5

9          -8.0       1.3        -3.4

10         -6.6       1.5        -2.6

11         -10.4     -5.0       -7.7

12         -5.4       -3.3       -4.4

13         -8.3       0.0        -4.2

14         -1.4       2.8        0.7

15         -7.7       2.3        -2.7

16         -2.7       0.0        -1.4

17         -9.2       -2.1       -5.7

18         -13.8     0.9        -6.5

19         -5.9       -0.3       -3.1

20         -3.3       -0.8       -2.1

21         -4.1       -1.4       -2.8

22         -13.6     -3.4       -8.5

23         -15.4     -3.3       -9.4

24         -12.2     -5.6       -8.9

25         -8.6       -0.6       -4.6

26         -6.2       5.3        -0.5

27         -3.9       2.3        -0.8

28         0.5        2.4        1.5

29         1.4        2.9        2.2

30         0.1        1.3        0.7

31         -1.7       2.5        0.4

Mean temp for month = -2.4C

Values for February

1          -3.5       -0.7       -2.1

2          -9.8       -3.5       -6.7

3          -6.7       -4.1       -5.4

4          -10.2     1.6        -4.3

5          -8.4       0.2        -4.1

6          -3.7       -0.7       -2.2

7          -1.6       1.6        0.0

8          0.0        2.9        1.5

9          -1.7       2.9        0.6

10         -1.4       1.7        0.2

11         -1.8       0.6        -0.6

12         -0.1       2.1        1.0

13         -0.7       4.1        1.0

14         -2.6       1.7        -0.5

15         -0.1       1.2        0.6

16         -1.9       0.4        -0.8

17         -1.7       1.7        0.0

18         -1.7       2.2        0.3

19         -1.5       0.3        0.6

20         -4.8       2.6        -1.1

21         -3.9       4.1        0.1

22         -2.1       2.8        0.4

23         -2.8       1.9        -0.5

24         -6.7       0.6        -3.1

25         -9.8       2.2        -3.8

26         -5.2       4.8        -0.2

27         -4.6       2.8        -0.9

28         -3.3       5.4        1.1

Mean temp for month = -1.1C

Mean temp for January and February = -1.7C

The average minimum for the whole 69 days=-4.9C

Comparison of temperatures at Langar between 1947 and 1963

1947     January             avge min=-1.0   avge max=3.5    mean=1.3

1963     January             avge min=-5.0   avge max=0.2    mean=-2.4

1947     February           avge min=-4.2    avge max=1.5   mean=-2.3

1963     February           avge min=-3.7    avge max=1.8   mean=-0.9

So for the two months being compared 1947 showed a mean temp of -0.5 and 1963 gave -1.7C

I cannot get data for frosts and snow for 1947 but for 1963 these were;

days with snow falling= 20 in Jan and 19 in Feb; lying snow=31 in Jan and 19 in Feb.

Air frosts in January were 26 and 27 in February.

To add some comments on the above data. I lived in a centrally heated block with just a short walk to the dining and recreation area. Life was lived in short sleeves mostly with the bedroom window open a notch as the heating was so hot. Underground pipes went from the boiler house to all the buildings and snow/ice free areas showed their path. Once off the station then life showed up very differently, buses ran but occasionally stopped due to the intense cold, roads were usually passable in the Langar area. However, on my journeys home this was not the case. Although snowfall was not as high in terms of depth as 1947, some roads were impassable at times during blizzards when the winds picked up. Snow that fell in late December was still being blown around in February along with new falls. Data from Finningley shows it snowed on 40 out of 66 possible days from 26 December to 29 February. Thus the Chesterfield area may well have had a slightly higher figure. I do remember feeling very cold in bed at my parents with just one main fire in the house. Frost persisted throughout the day on windows away from the kitchen. When the snow started to thaw I did manage to drive my father’s car on to the nearest high ground, about 1,000ft up and some 6-7 miles from our house. The main road was a ‘tunnel’ with snow piled over 12-15 feet on each side of the road.

So another tale of a severe winter which I have experienced. Just the 1947 one to try and dig some relevant data out. Sadly a diary I know my father kept has been lost.

to end=

NINETEEN ICE DAYS that winter at Langar, not sure how many at RAF Finningley, I'll have a look.

only (!) 12

Some wonderful stats John, especially being from Nottingham (born and bred) so thanks for posting. Sadly I wasn't even a twinkle in my folks eyes so can only imagine what an amazing winter it must of been.

My mum takes great delight in telling me how they used to have try and de-ice the inside of the house Windows and that she would carry a boiled egg to school to keep her hands warm. She said their school never closed either!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

The BBC made a cryptic reference to the coming winter this morning. I was watching the lovely Steph McGovern deliver a piece about energy suppliers and she said if the coming winter is any more severe than currently forecast there could be problems with our energy supple.

So which forecast is she referring to and I wonder how severe it is forecast to be! More questions than answers from Ms McGovern.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

The BBC made a cryptic reference to the coming winter this morning. I was watching the lovely Steph McGovern deliver a piece about energy suppliers and she said if the coming winter is any more severe than currently forecast there could be problems with our energy supple.

So which forecast is she referring to and I wonder how severe it is forecast to be! More questions than answers from Ms McGovern.

Maybe she has been to speak to John madden (he is the best forecaster ever) hahhahahahahahaha

• Like 1

Posted

Yes i heard it too. It does make me wonder whether she was just going by what the papers are saying or whether she knows from the experts. Mmmm interesting.

• Like 1

Posted

If you are interested wishful a couple of videos can be found here, And if you are really lucky you can catch a glimpse of a young knocker wearing his famous celtic pullover. I can see  now why women used to go weak at the knees. :closedeyes:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/74237-ocean-weather-ship-videos/.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

One thing I've noticed about recent February's is that they are usually a 'month of two half's', there have been a few examples where the second half is milder than average and this effects the CET. But February is often associated with some of the more coldest temperatures of the Winter; that hasn't been the case at all for quite some time so it seems. 

Might be somehow connected to the state of the AMO, if we do move into a new negative cycle over the next 5 years then it'll be interesting to see what impact that has in February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wonder If I'll need to purchase a set of winter tyres this year? Didn't really need them last year as the only snow/ice I had to drive on was on a trip to Aviemore for a few days in February. 

Posted

Yes i heard it too. It does make me wonder whether she was just going by what the papers are saying or whether she knows from the experts. Mmmm interesting.

almost certainly she will have been aware of Met O input to the BBC, via one of the forecasters, I would guess?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny weather regardless of the season, thunder storms, frost, snow

almost certainly she will have been aware of Met O input to the BBC, via one of the forecasters, I would guess?

Maybe she'll whisper it in my ear if I ask nicely.  :air_kiss:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heat and cold, storms and blizzards...zonal a no no

Nice heads up from the big man himself

Coldest mid-October in a century http://www.expatica.com/be/news/country-news/Flanders-Coldest-mid-October-in-a-century_511549.html â€¦ Oct 1975 strong la nina. Winter nw europe likely cold/snowy this year

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I will ask her on Saturday she sits near me at the boro matches 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Nice heads up from the big man himself

Coldest mid-October in a century http://www.expatica.com/be/news/country-news/Flanders-Coldest-mid-October-in-a-century_511549.html â€¦ Oct 1975 strong la nina. Winter nw europe likely cold/snowy this year

Does he not forecast the same each year? 

• Like 1