Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow has made it over to Vaals in Netherlands today if this is a sign of things to come it could be a long winter for some parts

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

In my deluded opinion :D I'm expecting a cold one with lots of snow for some lucky people. Probably for the north east and east and a few ice days too, even for London. May get to build a snowman for the first time in three years, actually make that a snow dwarf, it's rare to get lots of snow in London. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

UK climate is just a half-way house for everything, and nearly every type of weather we get is moderated to a great degree, so yeah, the climate here is not going to satisfy most of us - because most of us want hotter, colder, more thunderstorms, more rain, less rain - whatever.

That being said, it's not too bad. I'd rather be here than Miami.

And id rather be here than the UAE as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, I still recall 1962-63...The snow was okay, for a while; the freezing fog was okay, for a while; the freezing rain was okay, for a while...But, two-and-a-half months' endless snow, sleet and ice? No thanks!

Posted

Well, I still recall 1962-63...The snow was okay, for a while; the freezing fog was okay, for a while; the freezing rain was okay, for a while...But, two-and-a-half months' endless snow, sleet and ice? No thanks!

All day long please, I would have every winter cold - cold fans would win the Madden / Express trophy every year, we've lost the last 2 years and we want our trophy back.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

I loved 62/3 Pete.

Mind you i was onlly 14 and at that age no worries about getting to work just loads of sledging and snow ball fights,even building igloos.

Schools never closed though!

• Like 4

Posted

If i were a coldie, I'd be reasonably satisfied with an average winter. An average winter in the UK is characterised by mixed mild and cold spells - a bit like 2000-01 and last winter, which had some decent cold spells despite the marginality for snow.

An "average" winter would seem like an Ice Age round here compared with last winter!  

Anyway, a week of decent frosts and at least one snowfall giving day-long cover and I'll be happy.    Get that and who knows, we might even get a thunderstorm in 2016 as well!  :o 

Posted

All of that please bar the freezing rain, that is something I can gladly do without. The question is with a grand solar minimum probable will we see another 62/63 anytime soon or will other forcing counteract this. One things for sure being a meteorologist ( spelt it right this time :D ) in these uncertain times must be fascinating.

Posted

Sadly a average winter in London will not do, what I want is a properly cold winter. It is sad to know there are toddlers who have no experience of snow and this has to change!..

• Like 1

Posted

I could also handle most of winter being super duper as long as we got one huge fall like Jan 87 or Feb 91, something approaching a foot, just one event, even if it didn't last more than a week as long as it was a proper crippler and not a half hearted one.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I guess such a winter would truly test our preferences, much like summer 1976. For some, it's too much of a good thing, but I have already experienced a proper winter, much colder and snowier than anything the UK can throw at us, and I enjoyed it.

That being said, it was one winter - who knows how I'd cope with it year after year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I loved 62/3 Pete.

Mind you i was onlly 14 and at that age no worries about getting to work just loads of sledging and snow ball fights,even building igloos.

So did I! I was only 6; it was fun, fun, fun...But, then, I had no idea about the death-toll among the elderly. I also preferred '65, '69 and '70...The snow disappeared long before it had time to go black! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

My grandmother was 23 and had given birth to her third child 2 years before. Four members in my family who were around for that winter. Only my grandmother can remember it though - the other three were aged 4, 3 and 2 respectively (yes, my grandmother was a busy bee).

My grandfather was 28, but is now sadly departed.

It will be sad when that generation leave for good, and their memories will only be available in written form. I'm happy to have heard stories of the door-high snow drifts of 1947 from people who experienced it first-hand. Maybe when I'm elderly, I will tell my grandchildren stories of December 2010.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted

Talking of bitter cold. Dec 2010 anyone?

cfs-3-12-2015_iud0.png

Actually though its not quite as cold as the H500 pattern suggest but still cold though.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 8

Posted

I loved 62/3 Pete.

Well I certainly didn't. Working on the Salisbury Plain with an office without heating and an upper air radar with ditto I frequently gave up the will to live during the early morning ascent.

Posted

Well I certainly didn't. Working on the Salisbury Plain with an office without heating and an upper air radar with ditto I frequently gave up the will to live during the early morning ascent.

what a wimp! I would think it preferrable, to me at any rate, to being chucked up and down 30-40 feet in mid Atlantic!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Time to get the Violins out John..☺

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

this 'snow' people post about in here...an fascinating concept....does it really happen in real life?     :fool:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

Yes but snow is what we all want, I don't class any winter after 1995-96 up until 08-09 as very good for snow, its all about total inches of snowfall, 10 inches or more in total is a very good winter unless you live on very high ground or in a very favourable location, 6 - 8 inches was always the benchmark - the spread if you like when I grew u[p in the 80s, anything where you just get a couple of inches or a few dustings is garbage.

2000-2001, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2007-2008** (**well March and April anyway) were all 'average-ish' type Winter's, but produced, what is in my opinion, some respectable, bog standard British cold snaps; in fact all the Winter's I've mentioned had snow events that gave us 5-10cm+. Baring in mind though we both live in a fairly snow prone location and I guess Winters like the ones I've mentioned (i.e bog standard) just simply don't produce as much at low lying locations or indeed less snow prone locations. I personally thought the winter's I have mentioned were fairly good for snow. 

Edited by SouthPenninesPuppy

Posted

2000-2001, 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2007-2008** (**well March and April anyway) were all 'average-ish' type Winter's, but produced, what is in my opinion, some respectable, bog standard British cold snaps; in fact all the Winter's I've mentioned had snow events that gave us 5-10cm+. Baring in mind though we both live in a fairly snow prone location and I guess Winters like the ones I've mentioned (i.e bog standard) just simply don't produce as much at low lying locations or indeed less snow prone locations. I personally thought the winter's I have mentioned were fairly good for snow. 

That's where we have crossed wires, I have only been here since 2010 so missed everything upto 09/10 and including. what did we get in feb 1994 around here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All 4 seasons and a good mixture of everything and anything!

That's where we have crossed wires, I have only been here since 2010 so missed everything upto 09/10 and including. what did we get in feb 1994 around here?

Too young for that! 

I'm guessing the thing about cold Winter's is they produce for absolutely everyone most of the time. Everyone gets there fair share of snow and it's cold all around, but in average type Winter's there's so many large regional variations that perhaps do go un-noticed. 

2008-2009 rings a bell in this respect, the Feb 2009 Easterly was just as cold and snowy as anything else I've seen with the 20cm or so lying around for 2 weeks (some did gradually thaw in the sun); then Jan 2009 I managed to experience three separate 3-4 day cold snaps that each produced 5-10cm of snow; Dec 08 also produced a small 3 day cold snap (11cm). 

9 miles further afield in Manchester, it wasn't quite so that fun at all. 

It will be 25 years this coming February since the last significantly colder than average February, the February of 1991. That was 2.3C below the 1961-90 February CET average.

Is the next one just around the corner?

One thing I've noticed about recent February's is that they are usually a 'month of two half's', there have been a few examples where the second half is milder than average and this effects the CET. But February is often associated with some of the more coldest temperatures of the Winter; that hasn't been the case at all for quite some time so it seems. 

Posted

Too young for that! 

I'm guessing the thing about cold Winter's is they produce for absolutely everyone most of the time. Everyone gets there fair share of snow and it's cold all around, but in average type Winter's there's so many large regional variations that perhaps do go un-noticed. 

2008-2009 rings a bell in this respect, the Feb 2009 Easterly was just as cold and snowy as anything else I've seen with the 20cm or so lying around for 2 weeks (some did gradually thaw in the sun); then Jan 2009 I managed to experience three separate 3-4 day cold snaps that each produced 5-10cm of snow; Dec 08 also produced a small 3 day cold snap (11cm). 

9 miles further afield in Manchester, it wasn't quite so that fun at all. 

One thing I've noticed about recent February's is that they are usually a 'month of two half's', there have been a few examples where the second half is milder than average and this effects the CET. But February is often associated with some of the more coldest temperatures of the Winter; that hasn't been the case at all for quite some time so it seems. 

Yes feb 09 was crap, I was in Salford then, 09/10 was very good there though, particularly 5th Jan 2010.

Posted

what a wimp! I would think it preferrable, to me at any rate, to being chucked up and down 30-40 feet in mid Atlantic!

It's what drove me back and make that 40-80 feet. The violins are reaching a crescendo PM.