Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Past winters discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

December 2010 has stuck in my memory for the deep cold.

It didn't have the longevity or the amount of snow here compared to other Winters-62/3 being my favourite of course- but it did have some low temperatures day and night.

Some photos i took

Market day-Nuneaton and the frozen fountain.

post-2026-0-13159200-1448219219_thumb.jppost-2026-0-86603600-1448219230_thumb.jp

Frozen ponds

post-2026-0-26540700-1448219272_thumb.jppost-2026-0-25663300-1448219499_thumb.jp

not much snow but it was bone chillingly cold. :cold:

• Like 1

Posted

UK winter 1962-3 in 20CR

This video shows sea-level pressure (black contours), 10m wind speed and direction (arrows), and 2m temperature anomaly (arrow colours), from the 20th Century reanalysis. The uncertainties for this time and place are small, so we can have confidence in the circulation reconstructions, and we do indeed see the southern UK being dominated by cold easterlies, particularly in January (the coldest month).

http://reanalyses.or...ter-1962-3-20cr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

You'd like to think that with the advances in weather forecasting over the last 50 odd years that another 1962/63 style winter wouldn't just jump out of knockers woodshed without any sort of prior warning.... 1962/63 is the 3rd coldest winter ever in the UK with only 1684 & 1740 coming in colder... 

Top 10 coldest UK winters.

post-9615-0-10629100-1448290385_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Where is 2010 on that list? Be interesting to see 87 78 91 2010 are?

Well during the 2010/11 winter only December was notable for cold and was the second coldest December in the top 10. 

post-9615-0-04059000-1448291069_thumb.pn

Posted

A short memoir of 1962/3

I was posted to the METO at Larkhill on the 2nd !963. The journey from Cornwall was quite fraught but having whipped the huskys into a frenzy I managed to negotiate the last few miles, avoiding in the main the ten foot snowdrifts on the Salisbury Plain, and arrived by late afternoon.

On entering the large wooden hut, aka as the Met. Office, I found the rest of the staff huddled around a centrally placed coke stove which was the only form of heating apart from a small electric fire. The latter was in permanent use keeping the Dines from freezing as it was of historical interest. On entering the hut, having quickly ascertained who the boss was, I requested a transfer to Tobruk as soon as possible. The office still had postings overseas in those days. This was denied and after that it was downhill all the way.

The electrical heating in the radiosonde office had gone on the blink a couple of weeks previously and by some quirk of fate it was the only building on the huge army camp that was owned by the R.A.F. So naturally the army refused to fix the heating and the R.A.F. at Boscombe Down denied any knowledge of the building. Subsequently whilst doing the early morning sounding you slowly froze along with the ink, yes ink. And there was no escape to the radar. The heating was out of action there as well so sitting in there was like being in a deep freeze and by the end of the sounding hypothermia was well established.

The only way the journey across the Styx was avoided was a mercy dash in the office van to the camp café which was the only place significantly above freezing and then downing copious amounts of black coffee.

Happy days?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

They could of at least had appropriate heating for you Knock! The place would be shut down these days what with health & safety.  

Posted

UK winter 1962-3 in 20CR

http://reanalyses.or...ter-1962-3-20cr

Good link that Knocker-cheers.

I still have daily handwritten records from that Winter.I was still at school and that was the one that got me into weather.

• Like 1

Posted

I missed it by a few years  :cray:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Hopefully this will be allowed as it has been discussed here and it currently quiet.

If not then mods please move it to appropriate place rather than delete.

All these charts are taken from wetterzentrale

Dec 1962 began with high pressure situated just NE of the UK and a deep Atlantic trough

Rrea00119621201.gif

High pressure stayed in control of our weather until the 8th hen the Atlantic broke through but still some amplification upstream.

Rrea00119621208.gif

A brief but but deep Northerly occurred on the 13th with trough into Europe and strong Atlantic ridge.

Rrea00119621213.gif

By the 17th we were getting some trough disruption against a thin wedge of developing high pressure in response to the deep European trough.

Rrea00119621217.gif

This caused energy to head South into Europe pushing WAA toward Scandi and we begin to build a Scandi high

Rrea00119621219.gif

By the 21st the Scandi high has created a cut off trough in southern Europe which prevent the Scandi high from sinking which stalls the Atlantic and gives some undercut.

Rrea00119621221.gif

In response the jet digs South across the Atlantic forcing more WAA toward Scandi. Note the cut off trough to the South prevents the pattern being overrun and instead the high pressure to our NE is reinforced.

Rrea00119621222.gifRrea00119621223.gif

By the 25th a prolonged cold spell looked inevitable with the jet digging South in the Atlantic undercutting high pressure which could now retrogress without any forcing from a Westerly flow.

Rrea00119621225.gif

By 27th Dec the Arctic air was beginning to be dragged south around high pressure with the Atlantic completely blocked and by the 30th a belt of high pressure stretched right across the higher latitudes with low pressure travelling underneath (The holy grail of UK Winter)

Rrea00119621227.gifRrea00119621230.gifRrea00219621230.gif

• Like 5

Posted

They could of at least had appropriate heating for you Knock! The place would be shut down these days what with health & safety.  

Funny you should say that as I did instigate some industrial action. The hydrogen cylinders which were used to fill the upper air balloons were stored in a small compound. The staff had to unload themselves when they were delivered. I flatly refused to do this as the compound was an ice death trap and we weren't covered if a nasty accident occurred which was quite likely. Others then joined me and surprise, surprise a bunch of hefty squaddies arrived the next day and did the job.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 3

Posted

I missed it by a few years  :cray:

Lol mind you PM i bet you gain a few snow days over many of us each year where you are located.

I was fortunate from the enjoyment pov,14yo so plenty of sledging,snowball fights,frozen ponds,igloo building etc. 

A different time then though,quiet roads,more open countryside but no central heating,only coal fire in the lounge, so early mornings the inside of windows frozen.Brrr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lol mind you PM i bet you gain a few snow days over many of us each year where you are located.

I was fortunate from the enjoyment pov,14yo so plenty of sledging,snowball fights,frozen ponds,igloo building etc. 

A different time then though,quiet roads,more open countryside but no central heating,only coal fire in the lounge, so early mornings the inside of windows frozen.Brrr

I was six. Used to have great fun melting the ice on the windows and then watching it grow back again...There's something truly magical about watching ice-ferns develop.

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 2

Posted

Yes after moving down from the Highlands (Strontian) in 1972 I've had many a good Winter here. I'm certainly not complaining by any-means but it would of been nice to experience the 'big one'.

• Like 1

Posted

There is an archived thread on Netweather about the 1962/3 Winter which was started by carinthian 

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75343-50-years-ago-the-1963-big-freeze/

Some interesting posts from members who have experienced it.

A very good website with daily reports and charts for the whole Winter can be found here

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mtullett/1962-63/index.htm

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 2

Posted

One winter I did miss was 62-63 which if happened here I would not want see,who`s old enough to remember the 1947 winter even worse.

This is what I liked 10 years ago a great inversion.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120051123.gif

5 years ago a greeny high.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120101123.gif

Posted

Too old for '47 but my dad says it was worse than the bone chilling freeze of 62/63.

Came late i.e. end Jan/early Feb and loads of massive snow events for this part of the country.

62/63 not so many snow events i believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

You went to primary at under a foot tall  :rofl:

Did you have to stand on the school chairs to see above the table or were you given a booster seat  :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

You went to primary at under a foot tall  :rofl:

Did you have to stand on the school chairs to see above the table or were you given a booster seat  :D

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow

For me it has to be Jan 87.

Got cut off for 7-8 days,will never forget seeing snow drifts up level with the top of the lanes,cars completely buried and the sea frozen.

Think i'm right in saying that temp's got down to -13c,probably a record for the lizard peninsula.