Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Anything at 15.1c or higher will break the record for the UK's warmest December night

Anything at 18.4c or higher will break the record for the UK's warmest December day

Not so sure we'll break the day time record (if we do Saturday looks the best bet) but the nights have a good chance

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

This general pattern we're in now may begin to change after Christmas the question of course is a change to what

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35117803

Mild southerlies instead of south westerlies???

Problem is with euro highs they regenerate and stick around much more than Bartlett's.  I suspect this mild or very mild weather will run into January. 

Posted
7 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

Today actually feels like a day in early spring with light winds and bits of hazy sunshine breaking through. There's also the bird's singing in the trees and the typical March flowers (the pansies and daffodils) flowering. If I hadn't seen a calendar or the Christmas decorations, I'd be convinced that it was spring right now.

Yeah it's weird seeing those wintry scenes on Christmas cards, wintry themed Christmas decorations and at work hearing Christmas songs about snow and such. Not that the run up to Christmas is usually snowy (2010 was though) but it's often on the cold side and frost at least isn't too unusual. It's as you say more to do with the springlike temperatures that seem like a contrast to how the Christmas period should feel. Thing is I used to feel like even frost wasn't enough at Christmas time (I always wanted snow) but even a raw feel to the wind would feel quite festive at the moment. I wonder if in Australia they listen to the same wintry themed Christmas songs as we do aswell as have snow themed Christmas cards etc. Must be quite bizarre if they do being as it's actually Summer at Christmas time there. Anyway I suppose this very mild and almost springlike December is an experience if nothing else and next year it will surely be more seasonal. Though I'm sure your loving it Thunderbolt. Not that I hold it against you, as I suppose me and many others still have 2010 to look back on with fondness. Looks like it's your turn to have a December to your liking. Just as long as we can get January or February to my liking all will be forgiven.:D

Edited by Walsall Wood Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
9 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Changes ahead possibly

Still wet? Meh! Doubtless people in Cumbria will be thrilled at the "changes"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Just a quickie as have had family health issues to deal with and ongoing , Dec has remained very mild with horrendous Euro ridge.  I see some serious blocking in Jan but again fear that it will be wrong place blocking eg Sceuro block and thoughts of the cold Jan are not imo favoured.....indeed a +6c CET for me is in the offing.  But with some large scale blocking around a flip or shuffle could bring a different weather feel but I'm not hopeful for a cold shift until very late Jan into feb.   On the flip side elsewhere we'll hear or record snow and cold plunges.....as the UK basks in plume side and possibly suffers with more daft rainfall amounts.

Merry Christmas....tis the season for 'surprises' and enjoy your festivities.  I'll pop in sporadically but keep enjoying this site and each others company/discussions/...quarrels?!!

BFTP   

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
10 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just a quickie as have had family health issues to deal with and ongoing , Dec has remained very mild with horrendous Euro ridge.  I see some serious blocking in Jan but again fear that it will be wrong place blocking eg Sceuro block and thoughts of the cold Jan are not imo favoured.....indeed a +6c CET for me is in the offing.  But with some large scale blocking around a flip or shuffle could bring a different weather feel but I'm not hopeful for a cold shift until very late Jan into feb.   On the flip side elsewhere we'll hear or record snow and cold plunges.....as the UK basks in plume side.

Merry Christmas....tis the season for 'surprises' and enjoy your festivities.  I'll pop in sporadically but keep enjoying this site and each others company/discussions/...quarrels?!!

BFTP   

May things get better soon BLAST,you are a great contributor to the forum,no matter what,have a great Christmas and a happy new year:)

hoping for snow in Jan/Feb/March and there could be a few surprises on the big day itself for some:D

take care mate.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Just to lighten the mood...the latest CFS 9 monther.....Jan, Feb and Mar all look cold

cfsnh-4-1-2016.png?00

cfsnh-4-2-2016.png?00

cfsnh-4-3-2016.png?00

Ok,who stole Knockers red crayons.........Crewe:girl_devil:

well,they are great charts there Crewe,tis the cfs though!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
32 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Ok,who stole Knockers red crayons.........Crewe:girl_devil:

well,they are great charts there Crewe,tis the cfs though!!

Not just the CFS though is it? GLOSEA fully concurs (albeit with more Scandi troughing). All we can do is keep fingers and toes crossed.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Not just the CFS though is it? GLOSEA fully concurs (albeit with more Scandi troughing). All we can do is keep fingers and toes crossed.

which would you like,scandi hights or trough?

trough for a northerly or scandi for a easterly,i would take both over this current crud:)

Edited by Allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
37 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Looks like the overnight record has gone

Does anyone know what time period the Met Office use for the minimum temperatures? We're disputing that figure in the office...

Posted
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Does anyone know what time period the Met Office use for the minimum temperatures? We're disputing that figure in the office...

Not quite sure what you mean but 12hrs such as 2100-0900

Edited by knocker

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

Not quite sure what you mean but 12hrs such as 18Z - 06Z

Didn't word it at all well, sorry, too early for a Saturday :D

That's what I mean, what 12 hour period? If it was the period you mention there, it was 13c at Chivenor at both 6pm and 7pm yesterday. Although I have a feeling it might be 9-9.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
14 minutes ago, knocker said:

The min would be read and reset at 2100 and 0900 if I remember correctly

Right, cheers, dispute over!

Posted

It only took until 8.54am for the December record here of 15.2C set in 1994 to be beaten. Its now 15.7C so its just a case of by how much higher it goes.

Its in the same year that the January record set in 1993 went by a whole 0.5C too. Not two records that were enjoyable to see go, but interesting nonetheless.

Regardless, its shocking how mild it feels out there. It feels wrong a week before Christmas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
11 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just a quickie as have had family health issues to deal with and ongoing , Dec has remained very mild with horrendous Euro ridge.  I see some serious blocking in Jan but again fear that it will be wrong place blocking eg Sceuro block and thoughts of the cold Jan are not imo favoured.....indeed a +6c CET for me is in the offing.  But with some large scale blocking around a flip or shuffle could bring a different weather feel but I'm not hopeful for a cold shift until very late Jan into feb.   On the flip side elsewhere we'll hear or record snow and cold plunges.....as the UK basks in plume side and possibly suffers with more daft rainfall amounts.

BFTP   

Best wishes regarding health problems.  I'd like to think your prediction is wrong, though!  Would a +6C CET suggest the first-ever 20C January day?:shok:

Posted

A maximum of 16.1C the highest since I started recording data in January 1997, the highest at RAF Finningley 1942-1995 was 15.5C on 3 different years.