Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2015/16.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

BF, that is not a bad thought...could very well verify.  What happens if this record LP in Atlantic is actually a displacement segment of the PV that develops end of Jan into Feb and settles within UK vicinity.

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Quick question. I live in hope that one xmas eve), i will get to witness a countrywide snow event. I've yet to see one (I'm 42) and wonder if we ever actually have had one before?

Note I'm talking about a proper countrywide snow event bringing a decent depth of snow across a large part of the country, not the odd snow shower or localised trough. 

To wake up xmas morning to a blanket of snow would be amazing.

Posted

Pleasant surprise this morning, awoke to snow covered hills around the house. Not quite a proper white Christmas, but given the stop start nature of winter so far, it will do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Thunderbolt_ said:

It looks like today will be the first rainy Christmas Day since... I actually can't remember when the last one was!

Same thoughts here. Cannot remember the last wet Christmas Day at all. Years and years ago!!!

i don't mind it though. Gives an excuse to have the Christmas lights shining all day. :)

Edited by Costa Del Fal
  • Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

Same thoughts here. Cannot remember the last wet Christmas Day at all. Years and years ago!!!

i don't mind it though. Gives an excuse to have the Christmas lights shining all day. :)

1999 I think. Was wet and horrible though one shower did briefly turn to sleet, pretty much the only wintry precipitation that winter.

2004 had plenty of precipitation but it was all snow :yahoo: 1994 was another wet one.

Edited by Summer of 95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I spent the last three Christmasses in the Vale of York and the previous ones in South Tyneside.  I don't recall any when it rained for most of the day, though in the case of Christmas Day 1994, this was mainly due to the rain shadow to the east of the Pennines; most other parts of the UK had a wet one that year.  Christmas Day 1998 had a spell of rain, Christmas Day 1999 had frequent rain showers during the morning followed by a shower of wet snow, and Christmas Day 2012 had a wet morning.  

Christmas Day 1995 in South Tyneside would probably have come closest to classifying as "wet" if it had been warm enough, since precipitation fell for most of the morning before turning showery in the afternnon.  But like Christmas Day 2004 in Shrewsbury, all of it fell as snow!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

2007 would have to be the last statistically wet Christmas Day, although the front had cleared by daybreak, there was 32mm of rain here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No surprise there then SS, exactly what to expect for early Jan, just hope the dry interludes are as long as possible, more than 2 hours!

Posted

January this mild weather will give. We've not had a bitterly cold January since 2010, and a cold February for a long while. Both or one of those months will give in. I think March and maybe April will be freezing too. 

Posted

Winter 13/14 was described as unprecedented - with a 3 month atlantic onslaught, storm after storm, ending up as the wettest on record..

Winter 15/16 has started off on an unprecedented note - wettest and mildest December on record..

Do we need to redefine the word 'unprecedented' I wonder? How we have managed in such a short space of time, similar lengthy periods of same weather is highly unusual..

Something is up..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Winter 13/14 was described as unprecedented - with a 3 month atlantic onslaught, storm after storm, ending up as the wettest on record..

Winter 15/16 has started off on an unprecedented note - wettest and mildest December on record..

Do we need to redefine the word 'unprecedented' I wonder? How we have managed in such a short space of time, similar lengthy periods of same weather is highly unusual..

Something is up..

According to Dictionary.com:

unprecedented

[uhn-pres-i-den-tid]
adjective
without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled:
an unprecedented event.

By that definition, the situation so far this winter is not and cannot be "unprecedented" as 2013/14 provides a precedent for such conditions.  Regarding your larger point, it's my strong opinion that AGW is having profound effects within short periods of time (a few years rather than decades), and I anticipate other extreme weather pattrns to establish themselves in the UK more rapidly than many think. 
Edited by chrisbell-nottheweatherman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The beebs latest long range forecast still favours a mild air flow with further spells of rain

32524112.thumb.png.e4bfa08d10b3e7e81263a

A less likely scenario at this stage is for easterly winds to bring a colder, drier & brighter flow from the east

45463432.thumb.png.71f0b38891b6825efd4af

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35191216

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

But obviously worthy of a mention nonetheless... :santa-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted

So they still think the Euro high is staying put?  Which models (that we know of) are showing that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The jet stream and low pressure should be further south next week giving the north a welcome break from the rain, temps more seasonal with an undercut of colder air

3453324.thumb.png.6d977c1a8e08ce4a2bf685

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35195059

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Great! now rain in the south for next week (so we can all have a share). Notice they use the term 'feeling' colder which equates to not cold. Gotta feeling this is about as close to real cold as we're going to get this winter. :(

Posted
4 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Great! now rain in the south for next week (so we can all have a share). Notice they use the term 'feeling' colder which equates to not cold. Gotta feeling this is about as close to real cold as we're going to get this winter. :(

Don't complain - it's only fair that we take-on part of the burden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Don't complain - it's only fair that we take-on part of the burden.

yes, our turn Chris, we've been mostly dry this Dec, Jan though different story

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I noticed some cherry blossom trees budding some of their pink flowers today,that says it all about how mild its been.