Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! It's been a few weeks since I've been on here, been away visiting family and now that the builders have gone we've been cracking on with the decorating. We have a shiny new roof at the back f the house and a warm, draught free bedroom, new flooring arrives next week and we should hopefully be able to move into it by next weekend. Then we start ripping apart the other bedroom! The good thing is all the old wood panelling that was removed is being recycled in our fire! Waste not want not! Cool today at 3.5c, cloudy with light showers. 

• Like 4

Posted

After getting up to another rainy  wet miserable day with lots of mud  at 1.5c we now have big half crown flakes of snow falling lazily from the sky, talk about marginal!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wet sleet showers here and 4 C.

Snow lying above 300 m it seems as A68 Soutra is white.

Posted

Great seeing the animals so active moffatross, deer, red squirrels, birds and rabbits coming out from the woods to feed today 

About 5cm since last night, some heavy showers so far today but a lot of huff and puff for little return really. Managed to mix a hangover with a kids party, won't be doing that again in a hurry 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Sunny day here in Stirling :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Gosh it's been a cold week in Caithness, although barely any lying snow.  Any sign of winter relenting yet?

• Like 1

Posted

Much colder day but brighter with a maximum of 3c and currently  1.5c.  A few photos of  small wintry showers coming across the Firth in the late afternoons    sunshine. More like a winters afternon with snow covered hills. 20160305.thumb.jpg.4d53f4351438b4f5f817856db149c90e57_20160305(2).thumb.jpg.fc6f56db149e6273b_20160305(3).thumb.jpg.a7a2

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Gosh it's been a cold week in Caithness, although barely any lying snow.  Any sign of winter relenting yet?

I'm sure that milder air is to push in next week :)

However, i haven't really felt it has been noticeably cold. Chilly - yes but not 'cold'. 

Car was reading 9c and it was very sunny in Stirling when i left (i realise the car might be a bit too high) but it was still 7.8c when i returned to the cloudy outskirts of Dumfries. Comfortable with a thick jumper on...

Greeness (of the countryside) is also on the increase too :)

Edited by SW Saltire

7 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

However, i haven't really felt it has been noticeably cold. Chilly - yes but not 'cold'. 

Car was reading 9c and it was very sunny in Stirling when i left (i realise the car might be a bit too high) but it was still 7.8c when i returned to the cloudy outskirts of Dumfries. Comfortable with a thick jumper on...

Defo chilly but not cold today. Despite the fact that the temp maxed out at 3.5C here today under grey skies and almost constant rain and sleet showers, that's not a very pleasant day, but you can't really call it cold in the sense that sunny and 3.5C would be cold for this time of year. This weather is worse than December, at least it was mild :rofl: 

Posted
1 minute ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Defo chilly but not cold today. Despite the fact that the temp maxed out at 3.5C here today under grey skies and almost constant rain and sleet showers, that's not a very pleasant day, but you can't really call it cold in the sense that sunny and 3.5C would be cold for this time of year. This weather is worse than December, at least it was mild :rofl: 

That is very chilly. Agree not 'cold' as i'd say sub 2c is cold.

Quite a difference to more central/western areas then... With the spine of the country which i drove down sitting in sunny or partly cloudy skies at 6-9c. Not tropical but more 'springlike' than 3.5c

Next weekend could well be very pleasant. GFS giving my location 13c next saturday with the Azores high nudging up. That model always underdoes those temps so with some sunshine mid-teens may well be possible for some of us next weekend. Long way to go until that gets near verification but a nice prediction to see if nothing else :)

Posted
27 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

No greeness  here wintering sheep polishing off a load of turnips every day plus hay on bare grass fields . Turnip tops almost completely frosted off. Saw a tractor today stuck in a field it had been attempting to plough.  Winter crops either yellow or purple with wet and wind chill of recent weeks with no snowcover  Countryside looking very barren up here.

Posted
18 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Next weekend could well be very pleasant. GFS giving my location 13c next saturday with the Azores high nudging up. That model always underdoes those temps so with some sunshine mid-teens may well be possible for some of us next weekend. Long way to go until that gets near verification but a nice prediction to see if nothing else :)

Yes, both the GFS operational and its control run have been consistently modelling that plume for several days, and both are really out on a limb compared with the rest of the their ensemble pack. The broonie season starts in just 10 days, and I very much fancy a mosey up to Loch Skeen with a fly rod with some early Spring warmth, assuming the ice has melted of course :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

but it was still 7.8c when i returned to the cloudy outskirts of Dumfries. Comfortable with a thick jumper on...

7.8 C is t-shirt weather man. All that gym stuff has made you weak.:D

2.7 C here and looks to be wet snowing up Soutra again.

DP at fort SS has dropped to -0.2 C, so might see some wintry stuff.

Kinda moved on to thinking about spring now though.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

No greeness  here wintering sheep polishing off a load of turnips every day plus hay on bare grass fields . Turnip tops almost completely frosted off. Saw a tractor today stuck in a field it had been attempting to plough.  Winter crops either yellow or purple with wet and wind chill of recent weeks with no snowcover  Countryside looking very barren up here.

Doesn't sound great haha.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying spring has sprung... Not yet.

However, when i looked at the hills and lower ground it looked greener than a week ago.

The big part of our field which has been rested some of the winter is quite green. The horse that is in that field is actually a bit fat and needs no hay. Fields aren't too wet either which is a bonus.

1 hour ago, moffatross said:

Yes, both the GFS operational and its control run have been consistently modelling that plume for several days, and both are really out on a limb compared with the rest of the their ensemble pack. The broonie season starts in just 10 days, and I very much fancy a mosey up to Loch Skeen with a fly rod with some early Spring warmth, assuming the ice has melted of course :)

Perhaps it won't happen but the noaa charts have been suggesting this for a while. I'd put it at 50:50 certainly. Fingers crossed.

4 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

7.8 C is t-shirt weather man. All that gym stuff has made you weak.:D

2.7 C here and looks to be wet snowing up Soutra again.

DP at fort SS has dropped to -0.2 C, so might see some wintry stuff.

Kinda moved on to thinking about spring now though.

Haha, aye ok... Would love to see you walk about in that temperature without goosepimples etc. 

Living in a flat with two people who are townies and like their house at 20c all the time has softened me ;) 

I prefer my house to be chiller than that. 

Agree with last sentence. This winter never REALLY got going imo. Shame....

Nothing planned for this summer, but i'm certainly going to enjoy my last mammoth summer holiday (cries)...

• Like 2

Posted
13 hours ago, Northernlights said:

That describes farms in Caithness too, definitely no new green.  Sheep and cows are having a hard time with bitter cold northerly and easterly winds on this relatively flat landscape.  I think we've had wintry showers nearly every day this week so although no 'real, deep cold', it's been harsh.

If the nights aren't getting cold down where SWS is, then there'll be a bit of grass growth.  We're jealous up here and winter really can do one soon if it's got any shame.

Snow shower in Thurso at 11pm.

Caithness is quite white this morning... (7:40) but don't suppose it'll stick around long.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

That describes farms in Caithness too, definitely no new green.  Sheep and cows are having a hard time with bitter cold northerly and easterly winds on this relatively flat landscape.  I think we've had wintry showers nearly every day this week so although no 'real, deep cold', it's been harsh.

If the nights aren't getting cold down where SWS is, then there'll be a bit of grass growth.  We're jealous up here and winter really can do one soon if it's got any shame.

Snow shower in Thurso at 11pm.

Caithness is quite white this morning... (7:40) but don't suppose it'll stick around long.

We've got a few weedy snowflakes falling here this morning, but the ground is resolutely green and brown. Winter can defo do one and go and hang its head in shame at being so poor. 

Edit: All systems are go for spring to get going by next weekend:

image.thumb.gif.6020108cb95040ad6d8737f1image.thumb.gif.098da70a99c4bb5e70c28952image.thumb.gif.bf0bfb5d877344c70103beacGFS is fairly similar, with some mid to high teens temps possible by next Sunday in the east due to a Fohn wind off higher ground.

In other news I've got some introductions to make later on, MrsC has finally joined Netweather after a long time of threatening/promising. So if you see a new member posting who lives where I live then you'll know who she is! Her user name is @Gillbobaggins, for some reason it's not letting me tag her properly!! 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Mornin' all! Well slap ma face, we had a wee snow shower about half an hour ago! I doubt very much we'll see any more though. Cloudy and cool again today, so best get the washing oot while the going's good!

• Like 1

Posted

We have a dusting here too this bright sunny morning wich started out at 0c   currently  1c

1 hour ago, CoastRainbow said:

Morning , another cold and frosty morning .. Sunny , blue skies ? A hint of Spring ? 

image.jpeg

It looks like a nice day for a trip to Dunoon, despite it being well up the Clyde it can still be a bit hairy sometimes. Defo more than a few hints of Spring this week coming, just some consistent sunshine would be lovely.

Posted

I'll do a Paddy and promise to eat my hat 5 portions of fibre a day if I get above 9C in the north-east corner of Caithness next weekend.  The sea's too cold.

• Like 1

Posted

Thought i was going mad, but after a nice sunny start to the day, snaw flakes are actually falling, albeit very gently about 5 flakes a minute, but it is snaw. Currently 5c here.