Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

What an absolute rip roarer of a day such lovely sunshine

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, NUT said:

Cold in the breeze but it's lovely all the same. I'm still putting the fire on though :) 

Posted
1 hour ago, NUT said:

Same here - feels lovely in the sun with light winds. +7c/-4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
5 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

image.thumb.jpg.da3b38d87c0da6d85bdd4262

One last pic of the snow cover from this morning as it looks like it'll be on it's way by the end of this week. The majority of it fell very nearly a month ago now, with the odd warm(er) day trying to dent it, but a good few top ups to sustain it. Some patches underneath from the fall at the end of January too

It's been a wintery few weeks, average upland Highland material but would be happy to see some greenery for some respite to commence various DIY efforts around the house. Doubt it'll be the last of the white stuff though, final fall last year was May 7th, with 10cm falling so went to vote in a blizzard. The Scottish weather enjoys bringing the unpredictable to your door 

You certainly enjoy a real winter up there NS. Very enjoyable if you like snow! 

Personally i'd find the summers too cool but i'd love your (basically 5 month) winters...

Stunning day across the country today. Nice in the shade :)

• Like 1

Posted

Another great sunny day with a maximum of 4c .Frost lay in the shade all day with the dusting of hail and snow from yesterday evening and after the bare frost (no snowcover) of last night the countryside is even browner.

Posted
4 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Aye you'd certainly enjoy it as a fellow snow fan SW, not for everyone though and I'd include my partner in that, she hails from the islands and finds it all a bit relentless at times "it's bloody snowing again" is her mantra 

Any Aurora potential tonight folks? Currently -1c with some clouds about but hoping it will clear soon

5 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye you'd certainly enjoy it as a fellow snow fan SW, not for everyone though and I'd include my partner in that, she hails from the islands and finds it all a bit relentless at times "it's bloody snowing again" is her mantra 

Any Aurora potential tonight folks? Currently -1c with some clouds about but hoping it will clear soon

If my reading of the forecast is right the aurora should be visible from all of Scotland overnight...IF it is cloud free. Clear as a bell here at the moment so fingers crossed. @gillbobaggins wants to take a trip out of it's visible later :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
55 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

I'd certainly like the snowy aspect  but i think after a while i'd get bored with it.

I like a 'Canadian' style climate with slightly less cold winters.

However, Scotland's climate is enjoyable too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Overnight low of -4.6C so a cold one under clear skies, at least early on in the night. Temp at around 8am was 1.4C though, with occasional bursts of rain/sleet/wet snow (hills to west have a covering). The rain band has cleared now and it's blue skies and sunny again with a bit of a breeze. There's no snow left in my back garden despite it being shaded but there's still remnants in well sheltered areas around the locality i.e. north facing road embankments, wooded areas etc

3 hours ago, knocker said:

Not a lot of people know this :)

Not only did I know this I also have photos of it somewhere in the depths of one of my digital photo heaps :) It's highly visible from the road (maybe the A85?) so perhaps that's why it was marked on maps? 

Posted

The patch on the headwall of the Coire Cas at the Cairngorm Ski Centre which lasts into late summer most years also has the same name traditionally, although I don't know it's ever been recorded on a map.

The feature on the left of that Ben More map 'sloc curraidh' translates as 'hollow of the porridge' I believe!

Posted

Small covering from an overnight shower or two and some occasional light showers this morning 0.7c

Edited by Northern Strath

Posted

Initially posted about the marvellous George Martin this morning but it wasn't weather related so I thought it best I Let It Be

Enjoying the lighter mornings, longer days and temperatures look like anything up to 9c at the weekend which will be a nice change, prepared for an absolute sodden mess from the impending melt though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 minute ago, Northern Strath said:

Initially posted about the marvellous George Martin this morning but it wasn't weather related so I thought it best I Let It Be

Enjoying the lighter mornings, longer days and temperatures look like anything up to 9c at the weekend which will be a nice change, prepared for an absolute sodden mess from the impending melt though

Please, please me... and bring us some warmth.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Day started dull, wet and cool (3.5C at 8am) and has developed into dull, dry and cool (4.5C) currently.

Looking forward, looks like the models will give us a Ticket To Ride on the mild train for a few days at least, after that though it still seems up in the air to me as to whether we'll go back to a cooler regime or westerly dross. Later stages of the models are a bit of a Magical Mystery Tour.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

I've got a maximum of 10.3C in Grangemouth after a sunny afternoon. Can people near Grangemouth or anywhere else in the central belt who had a mostly sunny afternoon tell me what your maxes were because I've got a feeling that as the sun gets higher, my temps when it's sunny are going too high again despite me finding a more sheltered place for my weather station

Posted
14 hours ago, GrangemouthBairn said:

I've got a maximum of 10.3C in Grangemouth after a sunny afternoon. Can people near Grangemouth or anywhere else in the central belt who had a mostly sunny afternoon tell me what your maxes were because I've got a feeling that as the sun gets higher, my temps when it's sunny are going too high again despite me finding a more sheltered place for my weather station

Possibly a bit too high, judging by some other max temps: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~brugge/pmextremes.html However certainly not impossible if you had some good sunny spells.

I have the same problem from about now onwards through the summer.

• Like 1