Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Last day of meteorological winter and it was a cloudy but mostly dry affair here in NE Fife. Cooler than yesterday too, with a high of 6c. Missed recording an air frost with an overnight low of 0.1c!

At least February was a vast improvement over the relentless rain and dreich of December and January. Another snowless winter for me here in Crail but that's hardly a shock! Only 12 air frosts recorded this winter (plus another two in November), even for here that's a low number.

Looks like a chilly start to spring, good outlook for the ski areas. There's been some fantastic photos on this thread over the last couple of weeks!:)

• Like 1

Posted

Very windy at 6c but  I think I have just witnessed what looked like a huge lightning flash. Has anyone else seen anything as there seems to be nothing showing on the lightning strike radar. The whole cloudy sky lit up.

Edited by Northernlights
spelling

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
6 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Very windy at 6c but  I think I have just witnessed what looked like a huge lighning flash. Has anyone else seen anything as there seems to be nothing showing on the lightning strike radar. The whole cloudy sky lit up.

A fireball is being reported N.L

• Like 3

Posted
44 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

A fireball is being reported N.L

Hi Polar Maritime thanks for the reply,was on the phone at the time to my sister and looking out to the south when the garden and countryside was lit up with yellow  light almost as strong as daylight for a few seconds.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

We're all doomed. Doomed a tell ye! This is the end! Aaaarghhh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-35689551

'Bright flash' seen in skies over Scotland

Police in Aberdeen and Inverness say they have been receiving a large number of calls about a big, bright flash seen in the sky over northern Scotland.

People have taken to social media to report seeing a blue or white light, with some saying they also heard a rumbling sound.

There is speculation it could have been a meteor or a sonic boom from an aircraft.

Reports suggested the light may have been seen as far south as Edinburgh.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

We're all doomed. Doomed a tell ye! This is the end! Aaaarghhh.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Met office posted on facebook that their atmospheric scientists are predicting an imminent SSW and this could bring wintry weather.

Well, it arrived with a big flash and a bang it seems.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Where was it then? It was the P&J whose front-page - on the day WWII broke-out - proudly proclaimed 'GIANT NEEP FOUND IN TURIFF!', was it not?:shok:

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, yeah I seen it too at around 6.50pm as I walked back from the gym. Good to know it wasn't my imagination playing tricks! Sky just flashed as if lightning was nearby still cool to think it's flashed from so far up north although strangely the sky brightened up from the SE. 

Cold air still managing to make temp go down a few decimals of degree but nothing too exciting at 4.7. Shame the atlantic is breaking through, I was beginning to enjoy the run of dry days, mais c'est fini, 0.6mm so far today. Still, looking forward to Wednesday morning, let's see what it brings to the Central Belt.

Edited by peborant

Posted

Tuther one..

• Like 1

Posted

Damn North Koreans. That was a close one.

---

Anyhoo, interesting MetO forecast for the day.

Has fort SS 7 C and rain in the afternoon, plunging to 0C and snaw by the evening. I'll be impressed if that comes off.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Damn North Koreans. That was a close one.

A weapon of mass distraction. I didn'ae see nuffink, I was re-masticking the bathroom at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Mixed morning here. It's been raining overnight as the ground is wet, but dry and cloudy at the moment with just the hint of blue sky at times. Little bit of a breeze. Temp around 7/8C currently in Dyce.

Missed 'the flash' last night.

Posted

Yellow warning for snaw.

2016-3-1.jpg

Yellow warning of snow and ice

Issued at: 
1028 on Tue 1 Mar 2016

Valid from: 
2100 on Tue 1 Mar 2016

Valid to: 
1000 on Wed 2 Mar 2016

Showers will turn wintry this evening across the warning area, with the risk of a more prolonged spell of snowfall late in the night and early Wednesday morning, especially in the south. This will give a covering of snow with 2-5 cm possible in many places and locally 5-10 cm, these higher accumulations mainly above 100 m. Icy stretches on untreated roads and pavements are also likely to form. Please be aware of some difficult driving conditions and the potential for travel disruption into the Wednesday morning rush hour.

Edited by scottish skier

5 hours ago, moffatross said:

The Irish are seeing some snowy Central Belt fun & games ready for tomorrow morning's rush hour.

hirlamuk-1-28-0.png?01-04

The precip forecasts are all over the place, although a couple of them take the really heavy burst of snow over the far SW of the country. I wonder if SWS is at home or at uni? Somewhere could be getting a dumping at least, with more to come later in the week by the looks of the charts. Happy radar watching from about midnight onwards :) 

Posted

Loving this wee situation, it could get entertaining. Now watching the temperature dipping away ever so quickly under the belting rain, after which temps should fall free. 

7.3ºC moderate rain.   maxed at 9.4 (11.35am)