Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Max 2C in Caithness, probably barely above 0C just a few miles from the firths.  Frequent showers of snowflakes and graupel from early, still coming in, but not enough for accumulations STILL.  Although I spect places like Forsinard will be very while and maybe a few cms by now.

Posted
2 minutes ago, moffatross said:

It was a beautiful day in Moffat today, the cloud came on for a bit and delivered some very light, but dry and fluffy snow, but it's ended clear and starlit, and not a breath of a breeze.

Took a stroll up onto Tinto hill from Wiston Lodge late last night and got a wonderful view of Glasgow and the Central Belt to the north, and the motorway and railway winding their way through the Southern Uplands to the south. But it was f...  b.. brrrrrr.... cold up there at 11 pm :D

From Tinto summit, moonlight illuminates the south of Scotland. Below is the village of Wiston, the west coast mainline railway, Abington services and the M74, and the lights on the Lowther Hills radio installations.

24935768550_d014f731c5_h.jpg

Looking north to the Glasgow 'burbs with my pal illuminating Tinto's summit OS trig point.

25138246591_708cf4fc01_h.jpg

That's moonlit??:blink2: Stunning :good:!! How the heck to you get images like that?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

That's moonlit??:blink2: Stunning :good:!! How the heck to you get images like that?

Thanks :) Tripod, timer and long exposure over 5 to 10 seconds with manual focus (I use 30-50 year old film SLR lenses that don't have autofocus but are a skoosh to focus manually). Oh, and a lot of trial and error too :p

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

My hope of a totally clear and calm night is gone. Got down to around 0C at about 7.15pm and then cloud came in and stopped the temperature from dropping any further. In the last half an hour the skies have cleared and it's down to -0.8C now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just chucked the dog out to find its snowing again here, heavy enough to give everything a light coating. Temp been sat around freezing all evening, currently -0.1C.

• Like 2

Posted

Temp dropped to -1.0C but now believe it or not a breeze has picked up and it's back up to -0.6C. So it's not been a completely calm night or clear night, never mind both. Probably not going to get to -4.7C now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
13 hours ago, moffatross said:

It was a beautiful day in Moffat today, the cloud came on for a bit and delivered some very light, but dry and fluffy snow, but it's ended clear and starlit, and not a breath of a breeze.

Took a stroll up onto Tinto hill from Wiston Lodge late last night and got a wonderful view of Glasgow and the Central Belt to the north, and the motorway and railway winding their way through the Southern Uplands to the south. But it was f...  b.. brrrrrr.... cold up there at 11 pm :D

From Tinto summit, moonlight illuminates the south of Scotland. Below is the village of Wiston, the west coast mainline railway, Abington services and the M74, and the lights on the Lowther Hills radio installations.

24935768550_d014f731c5_h.jpg

Looking north to the Glasgow 'burbs with my pal illuminating Tinto's summit OS trig point.

25138246591_708cf4fc01_h.jpg

Great photos bro. 

I've seen Tinto hill on many an occasion. My step-dad used to climb it as a boy, used it as prep for when he ran up Ben Nevis (screw that). Prefer the gym to cardio but i think i'll be running the Dumyat hill race at Stirling uni in 2017. Something to say have done...

My step-dad claims that Tinto hill influences Lanark's weather but that's heresay i think.

Shame i didn't have a decent camera with me tonight as the Cumbrian Fells were snow capped and it was a beautiful view looking across the Solway Firth, with a orange/red setting sun lighting up the mountains with the sea sparkling below it. Wouldn't like to live down on the coast but it's certainly magical at times. 

My step-dad is a keen photographer so i'll upload his pictures in the future. Not sure they'll match yours though! :)

Very chilly night ahead, currently -2.7c

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted

Bright and sunny start to the day here with a covering of snow from overnight showers. Temp currently -0.5C.

IMG_20160225_080536652_HDR.thumb.jpg.6a6

• Like 3

Posted

Dull, 0C, very light showers overnight giving a skinny and very patchy cover.  What might be the last shower coming on now.  If this is the best winter can do....

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Dull, 0C, very light showers overnight giving a skinny and very patchy cover.  What might be the last shower coming on now.  If this is the best winter can do....

Aye, it's not been great has it, although infinitely better compared to our southern neighbors. A quick 'bin lid estimate' on my way out of the door this morning suggested we have about 0.5cm lying this morning. That's the second best accumulation of this winter, the best being late Nov. Everything in between has either not settled or been little more than a dusting. This morning's snow is very patchy though as by the time I got to Kintore there was very little, and only a dusting of new stuff in Dyce. The nature of showers I suppose, you can get lucky or miss out completely.

Not giving up quite yet (although models don't suggest much) but lets hope next winter is better.

Posted

Great photos there.. You could still make out the Ochils behind the Black Hill transmitter just before its dark.. To the NE/E of Tinto the Pentlands are clear even the Eastern edge of them at ski slope and hill at Penicuik can be seen.. I climbed it few summers ago and could see the haar through the gap of the hills. July 2013 I was up and high was 26c that day.. Haar can be seen in the distance.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted

Had a minimum of -3.2C last night and it looks as if there was more cloud than was expected as there has been this morning. Was expecting it to be a sunny morning but then for cloud to build through the day but it started cloudy in Grangemouth early this morning and it's been cloudy all morning in Edinburgh although it hasn't been dull. 

Posted

Looks as if there's a shower to the south of me somewhere albeit not overhead. Cloud quite threatning in that direction

Posted

Took the scenic route home today from the Spring Show  yesterday at Inverurie after visting an old college friend . The Lecht was cold at -1c at lunch time.

56cf4738489c9_20160225(4).thumb.jpg.428d56cf473a07d7d_20160225(5).thumb.jpg.175456cf47653321c_20160225(6).thumb.jpg.6cef

Cool at home  at 2c when we arrived late afternoon after coming through a few heavy  grauple showers on the Dava Moor

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

If everyone's posting nice snow photos, here's on my other half took a couple weeks ago at Glencoe.

FB_IMG_1456433482094.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

-5.3'C here this morning, chilly morning!

Posted

Had a Max of 5.3C yesterday and then a minimum of 0.2C overnight. The last 24 hours have been dry, calm and cloudy

Posted

-0.5C at 8am with an overnight low of -2.5C (probably pre-midnight). This morning there's 100% cloud cover but it doesn't look overly thick so hopefully it might break up and give us some sunny spells. Flag in the office car park is in full droop mode.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

What was probably one of the coldest nights this winter (alongside a night in November!) has given way to a really stunning morning. Currently 3'C with wall to wall sunshine.

25 minutes ago, NUT said:

Clouded over again (just like yesterday really)

It's been pretty grey and flat here all day but not completely dull. I dunno why I got excited about this cold spell, will I ever learn???