Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Looking forward to the upcoming "cold spell".   Hopefully will be some crisp clear nights so I can start using the telescope Santa brougt me....  

Fine , sunny morning here in Aberdeen.   Could feel some warmth in the sun but biting cold when it disappeared and the wind blew.   Interesting few days/weeks coming up.    

• Like 1

Posted

Is there any particular reason why the very corner of the North East , Fraserburgh coast line,  often escapes the blue cold on the weather maps ?    Over the next few days, certainly on the BBC weather maps,  practically the whole of Scotland is covered in blue but that wee bit seems to stay above freezing.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Oh you're in full scale misery mode this morning @SW Saltire :p A big dump of snow is not out of the question anywhere in Scotland in the next two weeks. Except for you, you don't deserve it with that attitude :rofl:  

Been in this mode (ie looking forward to the first warmth of the season) since about mid-January. 

I can't wait to be proved wrong! 

2013 aside... I think it's highly unlikely, given the lack of cold avaliable. 

I'm just being realistic bro, i'm all for enthusiasm but if it's proper cold (ice days and under -5c at night) and lasting snow (for more than 2 days without real melt) then, imo, that boat has sailed for lowland Scotland.

Back to the present...

Lovely sunny day here (mid-semester reading week so back home in Dumfries) and feeling almost 'pleasant' in the sun. Reached 6.2c earlier but clouded over slightly and the sun has hit the hill so that's us i think.

Currently 5.3c

Edited by SW Saltire

2 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Been in this mode (ie looking forward to the first warmth of the season) since about mid-January. 

I can't wait to be proved wrong! 

2013 aside... I think it's highly unlikely, given the lack of cold avaliable. 

I'm just being realistic bro, i'm all for enthusiasm but if it's proper cold (ice days and under -5c at night) and lasting snow (for more than 2 days without real melt) then, imo, that boat has sailed for lowland Scotland.

Well we kinda agree then, I am not that fussed about days on end of ice days. I want a big dump, like a constipated King Kong. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Well we kinda agree then, I am not that fussed about days on end of ice days. I want a big dump, like a constipated King Kong. 

Gross. Good job I don't have time to goo looking for photographic evidence on the internet.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Gogoslo said:

Is there any particular reason why the very corner of the North East , Fraserburgh coast line,  often escapes the blue cold on the weather maps ?    Over the next few days, certainly on the BBC weather maps,  practically the whole of Scotland is covered in blue but that wee bit seems to stay above freezing.    

It is probably because of the wind direction, if there is a breeze or fresh wind over a comparatively warm sea the areas most exposed will "escape" the lowest temperatures. In the case the most "sticky out bits" with most sea in their vicinity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

MOD thread is an absolute hoot at the moment as people argue whether or not it will or wont snow at some particular location in 5 days time.

As for tonight in my location, temp is going to have to drop off significantly if the forecast snow showers are to come to fruition. Still currently 5.3C in Dyce but hopefully the arrival of darkness under clear skies will hasten the drop.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, doctormog said:

It is probably because of the wind direction, if there is a breeze or fresh wind over a comparatively warm sea the areas most exposed will "escape" the lowest temperatures. In the case the most "sticky out bits" with most sea in their vicinity.

Yes, very similar to Crail being the mildest and most exposed part of Fife that part of the NE coast is well known for being milder and less snow and frost prone than elsewhere. I remember being surprised at some of the readings from Rosehearty during the 09 and 10 cold spells.

Beautiful day here in NE Fife, managed 9c in the bright sunshine, probably the warmest reading we'll see for a while.

Edited by Hawesy

Posted
3 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I get you. I'd just at a watered down 21/22nd March 2013. Despite a thaw, we had that much snow that it lasted ages (still it was a, what if that was January... The snow would have lasted weeks)...

So > 2 inches then fair enough but it seems very marginal to me and 4c and sleet can gtf.

If this colder spell gives me drier and crucially sunnier weather (given the stronger sun) then i'll be very pleased. However, 'winter' has never truly arrived here bar some fleeting glimpses.

Snow - Beaten quite a few winters (certainly between 2000 - 2008) which is embarrasing frankly but such is the UK. So i've had my falling snow fix, that's fine.

Cold - (haven't been properly recording temps) i think my lowest this winter is no lower than -6c. Very few nights below -3c which is poor. 

So for this winter be classed as 'decent' then it would need to have a late sting which gave lying snow for more than 2 days with minimal thaw and (sun might be too strong for ice days - again why i start talking about a ticking clock by February each year unless it's arriving before mid-month) and cold nights ie colder than -5c. 

My point was... I cannot see that occuring. Hence why i don't really accept the 'winter in Scotland can last until April'.... Well maybe on Cairngorm but in lowland Scotland? No chance. March 2013 was exceptional, not the norm. 

Posted

Well (look away now) it's still raining near Bettyhill.  However for coastal snow, you usually need -8C 850 temps and we don't have that YET.  Tomorrow could bring deliverance for all us coastal dwelling folk.

It was a bit pathetic at Kinbrace and Forsinard this evening though with just skinny patches on cold surfaces.  Climate change? Nah.

SWS, I think the seasons are getting delayed for some reason.  Wintry weather is January to April, then if we're lucky spring starts in May.  Summer can hang around till October.  This has been my experience, being outside many days all year round.  You'll find farmers saying the same, and the change is more noticeable, the further north you go.

• Like 2

Posted

Showers hitting here now are falling as wet snow. Temp is 2.0C with - ve dewpoint so still a bit warm, both air and ground, for it to lie. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Showers hitting here now are falling as wet snow. Temp is 2.0C with - ve dewpoint so still a bit warm, both air and ground, for it to lie. 

latest here is hail at 1C so an improvement in the last hour...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

It sure does seem that way HC...but I guess will be many years until enough data/evidence is collated to prove such a shift exists...then again it could just be a recent temporary phenomenon that will die away....or maybe it's all caused by mythical torpedoes 

• Like 2

Posted

Lazy dry snow falling this morning at 0.5c settling too on slightly frozen ground.  First oyster catchers heard last night calling across the fields a sign of spring. However I have noticed in the past if  winter returns  they go back to the coast for some time until they are sure that they can nest in  the fields in better weather.

• Like 1

Posted

Snow showers zipping through now but barely cold enough to settle below 50m asl.  Really don't want to hear about Oystercatchers yet, NL!!

• Like 1

Posted

Well we woke to a slight dusting of snow this morning and 0.8C at 8am with some blue skies and broken cloud. Just before I left for work though it started snowing and developed quickly into quite a heavy shower, although the temp by then has risen to around 2C.

Here's a picture of my drive to work this morning on the road between Kemnay and Kintore...

IMG_20160223_090026662.thumb.jpg.6fa09a7

It kept snowing in various intensities  all the way to Dyce but not really lying the closer you got to the coast. I expect what does lie will probably melt in the sunny spells. Not sure how many more showers we'll get today, or if it'll stay cold enough for them to fall as snow rather than rain.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
12 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

SWS, I think the seasons are getting delayed for some reason.  Wintry weather is January to April, then if we're lucky spring starts in May.  Summer can hang around till October.  This has been my experience, being outside many days all year round.  You'll find farmers saying the same, and the change is more noticeable, the further north you go.

Can't disagree with that mate.

Certainly since 2010 time, this has been the case...

March 2012 and March 2013 show the variety well.

However, you can almost confidently  predict:

October - December. Mild, wet. One of these three months will be abnormally mild. Flooding an issue somewhere in the UK.

January starts the same but a bit cooler, some snow by mid-January. Relaxation of cold by late Jan, then cooler again by February.

February is comparitively dry and sunny. March chilly. April also chilly with hill snow but chance of early warmth.

Then either May or June will be poor, with associated increase in precipitation  again but some warmth at times.

July best summer month. August diabolical. September almost rivalling July, well above average temps and sunshine.

That is pretty much what we have had since 2010 if we average it all.  

Tbh that's fine by me. Just would prefer a better May and particularly August, also a colder December but 2016 might be totally different...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Beautiful day here, nice enough in the sun: 5.4c 

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted

Last temp update for Dyce was at 1pm and was 4.0C (dewpoint 0c), but despite that the last short, sharp shower was definitely of snow. Didn't settle though, unsurprisingly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

SW that is spot on..

Describes things perfectly for this area...it's the August that disgusts me....and as u say a cold December would be welcome.... 4c here but feeling chilly and a beautiful day...will the snow come during this spell...nae idea 

• Like 1

Posted

Cracking day here (just like yesterday) More cloud developed so not blue skies all the way but nice enough. Not half jolly cold last night though

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Min last night was -1.4C. Was clear and sunny early this morning but cloud has developed through the day both in Edinburgh and Grangemouth so it's sunny spells rather than full on sunny. I can actually see a rainbow a wee bit away so must be a little bit of rain in one of the clouds. Had a Max of 6.4C. Now it's down to 5.8C with a low humidity of 48%, so dew point is -4.4C

Edited by GrangemouthBairn

Posted

Turned into a mostly bright sunny day with scattered snow showers coming in off the Firth. A couple of photos at sunset of the snow showers fading away to the north.56cca304f3039_20160223(2).thumb.jpg.8d5c56cca33098604_20160223(3).thumb.jpg.2a4120160223.thumb.jpg.6d6e6dcf913763ecb3ffa

Currently calm, clear, and 1.5c

• Like 1