Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Was nice to wake up at half 8 this morning and see a slight covering again...............a hour later and it's virtually gone again

1 hour ago, Standfree 1903 said:

Cracking morning here in Aberdeenshire,-6 earlier.Nice clear skies,no wind and a lovely warm sun on my back as I exercise the dogs (no mud around either,bliss).

There's a fair bit of chatter on the MOD thread for the possibility of cold as we head through March.Anyone any thoughts on this for us in bonnie Scotland.

Something is brewing, winter is certainly a long way from being dead. Quite how it will pan out, who knows? 

Posted

Showers are a mixture of everything today but 1 thing for sure it really is cold!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Yup as soon as u step out of the sun it feels very raw...nice day here though...fingers crossed for a snowy Sunday 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold, snow, fog Summer: warm, sunny
  • Location: Grangemouth, Central Scotland 5m ASL Weekday mornings and afternoons: Edinburgh

Was at the Eskdalemuir observatory today on a trip with the university (Edinburgh) looking at the Met Office equipment and the seismic and magnetism equipment too. Very interesting. From his screen I saw that the min Temp last night there was -5.9C and the Max this afternoon was 2.6C I think. It was cloudy and dry whilst I was there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 27/01/2016 at 11:17 AM, chemikal said:

I've mentioned this before but I think it is worth bringing up again. When I'm getting tailgated I like to switch on the fog lights and accelerate at the same time. Watch them slam on the brakes as you resume a safe distance from them. They get the message. :diablo:

Wow, I actually tried this today. Worked a treat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Last two nights couple of nutters undertook me cause I was doing 55 in a 60. I was turning right on dual Carriageway onto M73, so had to be in outside Lane. They tailgated pulled into left Lane then jumped in front of me. I turned in 200m. Crazy.

• Like 2

Posted

Starlit and frosty outside. Had a passing snow shower about an hour ago. Went towards the village for a walk, very loud and crunchy underfoot (winter must be a fookin nightmare for burglars) and some folks gardens have impressively huge snowmen standing guard. Weekend looks good for a top-up, with Dalwhinnie looking particularly good. -0.2C

Tomasz Schafernaker mentioned Aurora Borealis potential for tonight so heads up for that peeps, skies look built for great viewing 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Frosty early this morning which had the summer tyres playing merry hell with the traction control. Then off to near Loch Creran to rediscover west coast snow, ie very heavy sleet. Nice. 

I got these at various points when the ppn eased up.

incoming2.thumb.jpg.8363786593a0bec01962clouds.thumb.jpg.4c329849516deae1c1b2f2dmug.thumb.jpg.18b31e58d97e00a9b19ac5b00e

Then a drive home with the ESC getting another work out.  Not sure I should have dropped the 4WD in favour of a hot hatch, especially at my age, job, responsibilities, etc. Ah mongoose it.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 6

Posted
2 hours ago, snowidea said:

Wow, I actually tried this today. Worked a treat.

Ha ha! Nice to hear that still has the desired effect. 

Coming back from the Connect Music Festival in 2007 my wife was driving on the A82 past Loch Lomond and the driver behind just sat feet from us and didn't even try and overtake. Just after Dumbarton they were pulled over by the police and I hope they threw the book at them! :D

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, November13 said:

Last two nights couple of nutters undertook me cause I was doing 55 in a 60. I was turning right on dual Carriageway onto M73, so had to be in outside Lane. They tailgated pulled into left Lane then jumped in front of me. I turned in 200m. Crazy.

I drive vans, cars, motorbikes & cycle to work all year round and I clock up 2000+ on the bike. I regularly witness terrible driving from each mode of transport. It isn't what the person is driving/cycling it is how they are as a person when they get on the road.

When cycling the thing that really gets my goat/mongoose (more than someone not seeing me and pulling out) is when I'm cycling up to a junction at a minimum of 15mph a vehicle accelerates to pass me to turn left within 50 feet of the junction to turn left. It then has to slow down so much that I have to brake in order not to get taken out as it turns the corner. :nonono:

This is a weather forum of sorts isn't it? Living in Glasgow I've noticed it rains a lot.

• Like 3

Posted

What freaks me out on a bicycle more than anything is being overtaken recklessly on single track roads.  Drivers that won't wait for me to jump into the ditch. Death by mongoose would be too kind.

Oh yeah, weather... dull, damp and chilly after a spectacular sunrise.  It's the brief time of year when it projects onto our living room wall :blink2:. Stunning.

There's a risk of some pretty disruptive snowfall across parts of the north over the next couple of days. Heavy, frequent snow showers and drifting snow:

image.thumb.gif.1ac6abe49e5a254384da408bimage.thumb.gif.72dee3d327d72337596526adimage.thumb.gif.15e115e7e5829f26de6bb2e3image.thumb.gif.e22c3095a71ba95715c68690image.thumb.gif.249b19cdb754794fb2877a03

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I thought I must have been imagining it, or that my weather station was playing up this morning. It was reading -5.1C just before 8am but when I drove to work at 9am the car was saying 0/1C. Looking at the weather data for Aboyne though, that also took a huge jump around the same time, from -2.9C at 8am to 3.3C at 9am. I'm assuming a front came through, or just that the wind got up and mixed out a cold surface layer.

Anyway, other than strange temperature jumps, it's now breezy with lots of light grey cloud around but so far it's dry.

Posted
18 minutes ago, NUT said:

Wet and windy. I suppose you could call this the milder "blip"

I'll grant you 'mild' when I don't have to put the heating on before breakfast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

4.8c/3.3/SSW and spitting with rain.   Cloudy, dreich, damp,    shall I go on?    Looks great NNW especially Sunday!

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

4.8c/3.3/SSW and spitting with rain.   Cloudy, dreich, damp,    shall I go on?    Looks great NNW especially Sunday!

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Yes, NW Highlands could get a good pasting (I like that phrase) over the next few days.  Unfortunately most of us live at lower altitudes and will just get a good drenching!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Yes, NW Highlands could get a good pasting (I like that phrase) over the next few days.  Unfortunately most of us live at lower altitudes and will just get a good drenching!

Aye, I'm sure we're too far east for any excitement.   Nothing's ever straightforward eh?  (sounding like a S Easterner) sorry!:D

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Very windy now with spits of rain but temperature only 3c so windchill very high and its absolutely freezing to work outside, especially after 2 calm cold sunny days. Found a couple of snow patches behind north facing dykes this morning so it is waiting for more!!!

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Breezy, 4C and now the rain has arrived, wet.

Just watched 2 guys out for a lunchtime jog run past, ha, rather them than me! I don't mind running, I don't even mind doing it when it's cold. I've run through the local woods on a freezing cold morning with a few cm of snow on the ground and enjoyed it, but when it's 4C, breezy and persisting with rain, forget it.

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the dark lord's Met O forecast for here a bit of a 'pasting' looks afoot for this weekend too, we're staying with friends in Aviemore which also looks good but likely not as tasty, so I'll be having a scan at the Slochd cam when I can and will see what our return home on Sunday brings. Forecast heavy rain this evening before it turns to snow and these often turn out memorable events, still a good enough cover for this to be a quicker transition than forecast. Will be remembering this winter for it's bizarre dedication in bringing blizzards during weekends, numerous times now

hope plenty on here catch some of the white stuff from what's incoming 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1