Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Sunny skies, +5c/-6c. Lovely!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
2 hours ago, edo said:

South East of Scotland or SE of engurland....Yes SS I was looking out for you yesterday...waiting on you burning me up as my 7 seater kia trundled thru the snaw at a snails pace...

So that was you crawling along ahead of me huh? Damn lowlanders; don't know how to hande the snow. :)

Cracking day here. Snow cover all but completely retained; still light and powdery. Sun splitting the heavens, yet cold and crisp / clearly an ice day.

Just been out sledging followed by obligatory snowman building with Mini Miss SS. Will complete the day with a pub dinner at the Cairn Hotel, which I can heartily recommend to visitors.

cairn-hotel.jpg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

You really need to ask? ;) 

Was looking at that and wondering.....We have  rain forecast for here tomorrow afternoon and evening?   Considering how it has gone so far this winter, it will be a case of YR.WINDAE.COM for me!   Still a bit icy here today.

post-1989-0-28219600-1360975239.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Was looking at that and wondering.....We have  rain forecast for here tomorrow afternoon and evening?   Considering how it has gone so far this winter, it will be a case of YR.WINDAE.COM for me!

Sorry for the "chart" reply, in a rush :) image.thumb.gif.09b6a562b35c8fa4368e4b1dimage.thumb.png.f219cd0b7fc2e7faaa0d97d0image.thumb.png.31afe9451c3901812fb1c899

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Afternoon folks! Nae snaw up here, lots of frost which made everything look nice and sparkly! Pretty nippy too, temp down to -2.2c on Sunday morning, and the OH tells me it was -3c early this morning. But, off course, nothing good lasts forever and we are back to the usual p*sh tomorrow! Ach well, it was good while it lasted!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
45 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

So that was you crawling along ahead of me huh? Damn lowlanders; don't know how to hande the snow. :)

Cracking day here. Snow cover all but completely retained; still light and powdery. Sun splitting the heavens, yet cold and crisp / clearly an ice day.

Just been out sledging followed by obligatory snowman building with Mini Miss SS. Will complete the day with a pub dinner at the Cairn Hotel, which I can heartily recommend to visitors.

cairn-hotel.jpg

The cairn is indeed exceptional....have stopped there many a year... am now working away feeling rather large pangs of jealousy

your right blitzen would not be the least surprised to see the snow at above 250m only reduce down a bit....the meto actually quite bullish in even at high level it would only be snow for a short while before becoming rain....with wed night more likely to be snow.....

windae indeed and hope for a nice surprise

looking at CMD charts there......if wales could get the conditions right then they could be in line for a massive dump...potential for the front to stall aswell...lets hope someone gets lucky

Edited by edo
  • Like 1

Posted

Crazy sort of day after reaching 3c in the afternoon sunshine the temperature fell away to just below freezing at dusk a wind got up from the south later this evening and became fresh to strong driving the frost in. I am sure it will warm up before morning  but a south wind driving in a frost is unusual. I am sure winter is"nt finished with us yet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Tumbleweed in here tonight #mondayblues

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

2.5C now, remains of icy slop on bin tops etc but in general an unremarkable evening.  Milder crap tomorrow then a bit chillier, briefly, after that.

The torpedo and its sender seem to have sunk without trace. 

• Like 1

Posted

What a raw morning, 0.6 and blowing a hoolie. Wearing the usual winter attire but the windchill makes it feel like you're starkers. Stretches of moderate drifting spilling across exposed areas on local roads

Posted

Morning.   3.4c/1c/SW and cloudy.   Rain it is then for here today.   Forecasted to get up to 6c by afternoon, then rain afternoon/evening/night.....oh joy!

aircam_pic.php.jpg

Posted

Violent  southerly winds this morning at currently 3.5c though dry.   Feel we at the depth of winter now with  no growth and everything so  thoroughly chilled that snow could appear at any time.

Posted
10 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Violent  southerly winds this morning at currently 3.5c though dry.   Feel we at the depth of winter now with  no growth and everything so  thoroughly chilled that snow could appear at any time.

One of the more unexpected and hence disruptive snowfalls I can remember happened in similar conditions, with heavy snow appearing out of nowhere on a southerly gale, I think late winter 2000.  I got stranded in an unsuitable car in Kinlochewe...

Currently 3C and raw.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted

Yes, daughter came in to deposit the dogs this morning and commented how cold/raw it felt which surprised me.   I hadn't had my nose out of the door (still haven't} just saw the temps and the cloud and assumed it would be warmer.

That front is very slow moving is it not?   been watching since yesterday and it hasn't moved all that far.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
19 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Yes, daughter came in to deposit the dogs this morning and commented how cold/raw it felt which surprised me.   I hadn't had my nose out of the door (still haven't} just saw the temps and the cloud and assumed it would be warmer.

That front is very slow moving is it not?   been watching since yesterday and it hasn't moved all that far.

The first front swung over to the north of us overnight didn't it?  It's looking pretty messy on the radar now. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

The fronts are very slow, here's this morning's FAX charts:

image.thumb.gif.bb05fb8bf9d65e8bbd4f7c0f

image.thumb.gif.14d183437c86b097fcbdfd37

Posted

Don't think I'll be going out today so here's a pic from Sunday - melting snow on Cladonia  56c2f43b88878_snowycladonia.thumb.jpg.9f

and one from yesterday on the beach with the remnants of swell from the easterly and probably the snowy hills by NL in the left of the picture.  breaker.thumb.jpg.7ea77e93e5600059a72196

This morning the firth's completely different - grey with long streaky foam whipping up from the south-west.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Feeling pretty cold here this morning too. Temp of around 2 or 3C, cloudy and a strong wind. Still remnants of snow lying from over the weekend, I think eldest son said it fell largely late Sunday afternoon into the evening.

We had a good weekend over in Ft.William (well Roybridge) and managed to ski both Sat & Sun at Nevis range. Saturday was the better day weather wise as the cloud stayed mainly above the tops, but it was the windier of the two days (not enough to affect the lifts thankfully). Sunday the visibility was awful above mid-mountain. The snow was good mid-mountain upwards but kind of thin and icy in places the lower you got towards the restaurant. One day I'll get to ski there when it's 'ski anywhere', which at Nevis I think would be fabulous as there's so much space between the runs.

On the way over on the Friday we went over the Lecht road, which was almost clear. It had been ploughed and gritted but there were patches where the snow was blowing across the road. On the way up there was a transit van stopped at the side, not sure of he was stuck or broken down (driver was walking towards the ski centre, I think the Range Rover behind us stopped for him, we were full to the brim unfortunately) and on the way down the other side there was a car with spinning wheels trying to get up.

On the return on Monday there was noticeably more snow everywhere. Aviemore area had been largely green on Friday but was white on Monday. The drive west along Glen Spean was particularly stunning with the white hills and the sun shining on them. Didn't get to go back via the Lecht as it was closed on the Strathdon side according to the sign just after Tomintoul (both sides were open earlier according to the Lecht Ski website as I checked before we set off).

Back in work now sadly, although my aching body may enjoy the rest even if my heart and mind would rather be elsewhere.

• Like 6

Posted

Nick Sussex trying to muster some interest on the MOD for next week I see.   I think though that people have seen it all before this winter and it is hard to raise any more enthusiasim.   Sometimes though, when you couldn't care less anymore, is when the surprises come along.   He really is a highly contributing member, offers very good analysis, doesn't get carried away and puts the brakes on those members that do.   I hope for his sake that something materialises before this godforsaken excuse of a winter ends!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Snaw warning oot; not sure if it's been noted:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1455667200&regionName=dg

Issued at: 
1041 on Tue 16 Feb 2016

Valid from: 
0010 on Wed 17 Feb 2016

Valid to: 
1000 on Wed 17 Feb 2016

Outbreaks of rain are likely to turn to sleet or snow in places later on Tuesday night and during Wednesday morning, giving local accumulations. This will be primarily, but not exclusively, over the higher ground where 2 to 6 cm may accumulate, although parts of the warning area may escape. At lower elevations, a slushy cover of up to a centimetre or so is possible. Please be aware of the potential for some difficult driving conditions overnight and into the Wednesday morning rush hour.

Chilly and windy here in Carrbridge. Snaw drip-dripping.

EURO4:

Wed 06:00 and 12:00:

16021706_1600.gif

16021712_1600.gif

That band even projected to turn tae snaw in S England later in the day.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted

A chart for Sunday from Never- Never Land:

06_126_preciptype.png.4361ffdbae0eae5d1e2cba42024c538b.png

• Like 1