Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
2 hours ago, cornish snow said:

Ah,but i could say "somerset" in the south!!

That's a day's journey north from here:)

A day? What's that, via The Channel Isles?

Posted
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

south yes, Scotland is north, then you have northern England

And then you have the Midlands, where Stafford is. You might be south of Yorkshire, but you're a long way from being in the south.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, jethro said:

And then you have the Midlands, where Stafford is. You might be south of Yorkshire, but you're a long way from being in the south.

Stafford is most certainly not south, the boundary between mid to upper part of the country IMO.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

north-south_divide_UK_no_labels_blue_red

By county the North lies above the old counties of Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire and ‘nips’ only into parts of some of those counties. Most of each of those counties, and all the areas of England below them, are in the South.

By constituency the North includes and lies above the new parliamentary constituencies of the Forest of Dean on the north bank of the Severn; includes West and Mid Worcestershire, Redditch, Bromsgrove (and hence all of Birmingham), Meriden, Coventry South and North East, Warwickshire North, Nuneaton, Bosworth, Loughborough, Rushcliffe, Newark, Bassetlaw, Brigg and Goole, Cleethorpes, ending at Great Grimsby and the south bank of the Humber.

Scotland and Wales are part of the North, despite having managed to eschew the Victorian attempts to label them North and West Britain respectively.@University of Sheffield.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham
  • Like 1

Posted

North v South is lazy and ignores the Midlands, the fact that Wales is split into 2 or 3 really, and ignores the differences there can be between SW, SE, and East. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The University of Sheffield definition IS too simplistic. As was said Wales alone can be split at least 2 ways - Gogs and Hwntws (Northern and Southern)...thats without even going into where the people in mid-Wales fit.

Then you've got where does Northern England end?...the Midlands...then the South...

Complex doesnt begin to cover it.

Edited by Carl46Wrexham

Posted

The general scenario of continuing unsettled wet and windy conditions into the foreseeable remains the same but as always in these set ups there are possibilities of some transient snow interludes. Perhaps two this week. On Tuesday a nifty shortwave :shok: pops SE across the Midlands which could bring some snow to the region and again on Friday on the north side of the fronts associated with the incoming depression.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_11.png

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_24.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
20 minutes ago, knocker said:

The general scenario of continuing unsettled wet and windy conditions into the foreseeable remains the same but as always in these set ups there are possibilities of some transient snow interludes. Perhaps two this week. On Tuesday a nifty shortwave :shok: pops SE across the Midlands which could bring some snow to the region and again on Friday on the north side of the fronts associated with the incoming depression.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_11.png

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_24.png

Get some logs in for the Wood shed Knocker:D

C.S

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheshire snow said:

Get some logs in for the Wood shed Knocker:D

C.S

At the moment the priority is fixing a couple of extra stays to the woodshed courtesy Imogen but as an aside Sidney is showing little concern and is not hiding any nuts that I can see.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur2_6.thumb.png.bd173bbeb

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Ian Brown doing what he does best....

Ay I'm following him on twitter

Posted

It has to be said the ecm is not making much of any snow event this week, I mention this in case the cold thread suddenly teeters on imminent  meltdown, but perhaps come copious amounts next Sunday as the fronts associated with a quite deep depression slip NE. Oh the possibilities are endless.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_8.thumb.png.a354f216f

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
11 minutes ago, knocker said:

It has to be said the ecm is not making much of any snow event this week, I mention this in case the cold thread suddenly teeters on imminent  meltdown, but perhaps come copious amounts next Sunday as the fronts associated with a quite deep depression slip NE. Oh the possibilities are endless.

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_8.thumb.png.a354f216f

I fully agree,lot of possibilities but i fear this only leads to straw clutching for us coldies, Our climate has changed and until people realise this then false hopes will always be a problem.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The Actual Weather ..... not fantasy.

ive always considered derby to be the boundary between north n south.. 

why?

because north of derby you have hills, the peak district, northern style accents. south of derby you have a landscape more reminiscent of southern lowland britain. and its commutable to londinium.

Posted

ok.... i think some might (or should?) be regretting 'throwing in the towel' this morning as there is now a chance of a cold evolution this morning. a small area of high pressure is expected to form to our north , the noaa 6-10 dayer agrees with this too. the effect of this will be to push the colder air to our north, more southward, increasing our chances of snow.

of course IF it links with the russian high like the 00z ecm suggests then it MIGHT evolve into a full blown easterly sourced cold spell. ive not been on the md thread yet, but i predict the emergence of ego massaging posts lol.

so it looks like we are entering a cooler unsettled regime, at least for a while (and the noaa charts have consistently predicted a cooler northwesterly upper flow for this period) . and from this the building blocks (lol.. that awful phrase) ARE in place for something much colder to emerge.

so imho we MIGHT get a cold spell, a proper one, it is possible now when before it wasnt.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
9 minutes ago, mushymanrob said:

ok.... i think some might (or should?) be regretting 'throwing in the towel' this morning as there is now a chance of a cold evolution this morning. a small area of high pressure is expected to form to our north , the noaa 6-10 dayer agrees with this too. the effect of this will be to push the colder air to our north, more southward, increasing our chances of snow.

of course IF it links with the russian high like the 00z ecm suggests then it MIGHT evolve into a full blown easterly sourced cold spell. ive not been on the md thread yet, but i predict the emergence of ego massaging posts lol.

so it looks like we are entering a cooler unsettled regime, at least for a while (and the noaa charts have consistently predicted a cooler northwesterly upper flow for this period) . and from this the building blocks (lol.. that awful phrase) ARE in place for something much colder to emerge.

so imho we MIGHT get a cold spell, a proper one, it is possible now when before it wasnt.

Slightly disagree with you,in my opinion there's way to many boxs need ticking at his range to really start looking at any proper cold to emerge, god knows i'd love it if it did!!. Do agree strongly on one point....buildings blocks,what a shocking phrase to use! 

Posted
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

Slightly disagree with you,in my opinion there's way to many boxs need ticking at his range to really start looking at any proper cold to emerge, god knows i'd love it if it did!!. Do agree strongly on one point....buildings blocks,what a shocking phrase to use! 

oh i fully accept that, dont get me wrong, im not saying there will be a decent cold spell, its just that imho the models have shifted towards the possible emergence of one, when before there was no sign. i think that small anticyclone to our north is a problem maker for forecasters.

Posted

The 5-10 anomalies this morning show little indication of any significant change from the unsettled westerly regime. With the trough over the eastern seaboard and HP pushing north mid Atlantic the flow is more WNW and depressions may tend to sink SE over the UK which could well bring some wintry interludes and some brief transient snow events  but generally temps around average. The priority remains the amount of rainfall likely in the W/NW.

In the ext period trough over the eastern seaboard is no more and heights build in the western Atlantic but with a negatively tilted trough Iceland/UK the outlook is little changed from an unsettled scenario. Temps around average but obviously variable with the passage of Atlantic systems.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.thumb.png.06f9f72gefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.thumb.png.8c3035b4ac

Posted

I don't for believe our climate as changed… we are in a mild pattern!! But since 2005/07… the trend as been a cool/cold one!! I'll never believe in global warming, history shows these patterns before and they'll happen again!! Look at states and the far east… is that global warming!! I think not… we are in a unique position, in that the gulf stream decides alot of our weather

We want 30yrs plus from the mid 80s I'm a mild pattern, dotted with cold n snow… only time will tell, if we are in a cold pattern… dotted with mild mush like the last few yrs!! But that EPIC WINTER like 47 or 63… will happen again, nowt surer!! Will that be global warming… :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
12 hours ago, jethro said:

A day? What's that, via The Channel Isles?

Whatever. I dont live in the south anyway. I live in Cornwall:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
28 minutes ago, Law of averages!! said:

I don't for believe our climate as changed… we are in a mild pattern!! But since 2005/07… the trend as been a cool/cold one!! I'll never believe in global warming, history shows these patterns before and they'll happen again!! Look at states and the far east… is that global warming!! I think not… we are in a unique position, in that the gulf stream decides alot of our weather

We want 30yrs plus from the mid 80s I'm a mild pattern, dotted with cold n snow… only time will tell, if we are in a cold pattern… dotted with mild mush like the last few yrs!! But that EPIC WINTER like 47 or 63… will happen again, nowt surer!! Will that be global warming… :nonono:

Unfortunately science doesn't care for what you believe!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

:hi:Yippiee the sun is out, and its getting some spring Strength. Barmy in the greenhouse. Our climate has changed without doubt it is for the better. No more frozen shirts on the washing line stiff as a board. No more frozen milk bottles with the lids popping up above the ice. And best of all the Central heating hardly ever on. :hi: Hopefully a long Hot summer on the cards. Its daylight now until 5.15 .....Spring is here.

Posted
14 minutes ago, cornish snow said:

Whatever. I dont live in the south anyway. I live in Cornwall:yahoo:

Lol. I love the nation that is Cornwall, there is a real sense of it not really belonging to the rest of the country. If I could buy and convert the church at Gunwalloe I'd be like a pig in poo.

• Like 1